Corsair Community

TR3X6G1600C9 will not post on Asus Rampage II GENE at 1600

Killerwalski

So I've been beating my head against the wall for the past two days trying to get my memory to run at 1600 as advertised. The problem started when I noticed I was only getting 4GB of RAM displayed in windows. I updated the Bios to the latest version (1701), and that seemed to fix it - windows displays all 6 GB of memory.

The problem is, the memory is only running at 1066. I figure hey, I'll just use the XMP settings, so I go into bios and put those in. It grabs the correct 9-9-9-24 2N settings that are on the spec sheet for my memory, and I restart the machine. It fails to post. I check all voltages, DRAM is 1.65 and QPI is 1.35. I tried upping the QPI to 1.5, and 1.6, and it still won't post. I tried changing the CPU multiplier to 20.0, won't post.

I tried setting the Overclock tuner to manual (not using the XMP settings) and manually changed all the settings to match the spec sheet, and it still will not post.

I'll attach the "default" settings the BIOS makes me use to run windows stably as CPU-Z screenshots. I realize the timings are wrong, but this is what the BIOS gives me when everything is left on AUTO in Bios.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my memory to run at 1600?

I just noticed that in SPD my memory is listed as CM3X2G1600C9 and not TR3X6G1600C9. Could this be something? The slots occupied are #1, #3, #5.

Thanks in advance.

KKkwaaq.jpg.3b6b1565134f18875bf0082a519af74d.jpg

RyzUDx9.jpg.fe4bb8aaa4ded0339be85b7ff8e81ba4.jpg

laNrJYR.jpg.5a27f1fe9ad887675f0de41c1a85f230.jpg

iDNRnpm.jpg.647dff35ab7e291be0951e855fefad13.jpg

It fails to post. I check all voltages, DRAM is 1.65 and QPI is 1.35. I tried upping the QPI to 1.5, and 1.6, and it still won't post. I tried changing the CPU multiplier to 20.0, won't post.

What CPU? Could you please fill in your specs in the drop down menu so we can see what hardware you have?

Depending on the CPU you might have damaged the it by raising QPI too far. 1.45v is the MAX you should go. That kit should run at 1.65v and 1.35v QPI easily.

EDIT: Yeah with a 720 no higher than 1.45v

I just noticed that in SPD my memory is listed as CM3X2G1600C9 and not TR3X6G1600C9. Could this be something? The slots occupied are #1, #3, #5.

No, it's just reading the individual "stick" number which is different from the "kit" number. Thats all normal.

I would suggest you test each stick individually with memtest (there is a link on the left if you need it. Let each stick run in the first slot for about three passes or until you get an error.

If they all pass then try using one of the sticks in the remaining slots to be sure you dont have a bad slot.

Be sure to load set up defaults and disable USB legacy support in your BIOS if that option is available before testing with memtest.

Let us know how you make out.

I attached all my specs in the CPU-Z screenshots, I believe. My CPU is an i7 920. Power Supply is a corsair 550W.

All 3 sticks passed memtest for over 24 hours. They passed individually as well.

For another note if I manually set the memory timings to 9-9-9-24 2T it will run fine, the only problem is when I change the RAM frequency to 1600 from 1066.

You really think it could be a bad slot if everything runs fine at 1066 and passes memtest?

All 3 sticks passed memtest for over 24 hours. They passed individually as well.

For another note if I manually set the memory timings to 9-9-9-24 2T it will run fine, the only problem is when I change the RAM frequency to 1600 from 1066.

You really think it could be a bad slot if everything runs fine at 1066 and passes memtest?

Not so sure about the slot, but something with that board. If the memory will pass 24hrs of memtest, then it's not the memory. Memory also doesn't just fail to ru at one speed. If it's going to fail it would have failed at 1066mhz too.

You might try reseating your CPU cooler and even pull the CPU to see if you don't have any bent pins in the socket.

I'd rather not RMA the memory if there's something I'm doing wrong in settings or something although I'm not sure what it is that I could be doing wrong, the XMP settings makes it pretty straightforward.

I will contact ASUS tomorrow and see if they have anything for me. Is anyone else familiar with the ASUS Bios? My friend has OCZ RAM and he just left everything on default and adjusted the DRAM Frequency and it worked for him. He has an older version of the BIOS though.

I'm really not sure what to do to make it work at this point =/

'd rather not RMA the memory if there's something I'm doing wrong in settings or something although I'm not sure what it is that I could be doing wrong, the XMP settings makes it pretty straightforward.

I don't believe your doing anything wrong. You just have something going on that we need to pinpoint. RMA'ing the memory would be a lot easier than taking your system apart to replace the MB if it's not needed

My friend has OCZ RAM and he just left everything on default and adjusted the DRAM Frequency and it worked for him. He has an older version of the BIOS though.

Any chance you could borrow his memory to test with? I don't believe it has anything to do with your BIOS or even what version you have. I am very familiar with the ASUS BIOS...what exactly are you looking for?

I'm really not sure what to do to make it work at this point =/

It could be any number of things. A bent pin is top of my list of suspects. Did you check the socket with a magnifying glass? It doesn't take but one pin to be slightly bent and not making contact with the CPU to cause these types of issues. Even uneven pressure or too much pressure on your CPU cooler can cause this and also bend a pin in the socket. Like i stated earlier, there is also the chance you damaged the CPU's memory controller with QPI set too high.

I know you said there were no bent pins, but I'm just trying to help figure this out.

So I got off the phone with corsair support. They said the 920 is only rated at 1066, but if I wanted to overclock it I should change the voltage to 1.65. I told him I did this, and it still didn't work. He basically said he could RMA the RAM but that probably won't make a difference as the memory controller on the CPU is what's likely the bottleneck here.

IDK =/

I know the 920 can run at 1600 on my board. My friend and I live in different states so I'm unable to test his memory on my mobo :(

I'm talking to ASUS right now to see if they can offer any insight, and if they can't I'll just try to RMA the memory.

Edit: Yeah they had nothing for me that I didn't already know. Either bad memory, bad mobo, or bad memory controller on the CPU. They offered an RMA for the motherboard =/

So I've been beating my head against the wall for the past two days trying to get my memory to run at 1600 as advertised. The problem started when I noticed I was only getting 4GB of RAM displayed in windows. I updated the Bios to the latest version (1701), and that seemed to fix it - windows displays all 6 GB of memory.

The problem is, the memory is only running at 1066. I figure hey, I'll just use the XMP settings, so I go into bios and put those in. It grabs the correct 9-9-9-24 2N settings that are on the spec sheet for my memory, and I restart the machine. It fails to post. I check all voltages, DRAM is 1.65 and QPI is 1.35. I tried upping the QPI to 1.5, and 1.6, and it still won't post. I tried changing the CPU multiplier to 20.0, won't post.

I tried setting the Overclock tuner to manual (not using the XMP settings) and manually changed all the settings to match the spec sheet, and it still will not post.

I'll attach the "default" settings the BIOS makes me use to run windows stably as CPU-Z screenshots. I realize the timings are wrong, but this is what the BIOS gives me when everything is left on AUTO in Bios.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my memory to run at 1600?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Killerwalski

First runing CPU multiplier at 21X, its overcloking CPU!!! If

Fréquence Turbo maxi 2.93 GHz, if you go highier you have good chance to have instabality issue. i7 920 run stoock at 133Mhz 20x.

If you OC CPU memory will not be stable at full speed,in your case 1600MHz.

Thath why it run at 1066MHz stable. You could run at 1066 8-8-8-22 2T tRC30 at 1.5 to 1.65 volts or even atr 1333MHz 9-9-9-24 2T tRC34 at 1.5 to 1.65 volts with your OC and still be stable. If your run CPU stock with a buss speed ove 133MHz and multiplier at 20X. You sould be able to run TR3X6G1600C9 at 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 2T tRC41 and not more or lest then 1.65 volts. If XMP profile don't set to this spesific value it will bug, this is a Motherboard bios update issue.

But the major plblem is that CM3X2G1600C9 use xmp 1.3 and TR3X6G1600C use xmp 1.2!?!? And X58 chipset run bether with xm version 1.2.

look at this webpage

http://www.corsair.com/us/memory-by-product-family/dominator.html

all thos memory is perfecly fit for X58 chipset. Me i got the CMT6GX3M3A2000C8 kit and it run great with memory speed of 1886MHz and OC CPU bus to 143MHz multipier at 25 and turbo multiplier at 27, but i got the i7 980x xertrem edittion.

http://www.corsair.com/us/memory-by-product-family/dominator/cmt6gx3m3a2000c8.html

CMT6GX3M3A1866C9 will be great for you mombo too. Set at 1600Mhz you could still OC CPU as tesst at 1886MHz.

Dominator GT memory is mutch stable Then CM3X2G1600C9 and TR3X6G16009!!!

Hope this help

Sincerly yours

Your missing the point turbo, He's using an older TR3X6G1600C9 kit that should run just fine on his board. And for what ever reason it's not. Even after setting them both manually and with XMP.

But the major plblem is that CM3X2G1600C9 use xmp 1.3 and TR3X6G1600C use xmp 1.2!?!?

look at this webpage

http://www.corsair.com/us/memory-by-...dominator.html

XMP version will have nothing to do with it. Not only does his kit use the older XMP version but even the newer 1.3v is still backward compatible. The triple channel kits sold today will have the proper profiles anyway. Your link also says nothing to back up your claim about x58 having problems with XMP 1.3

@Killerwalski

know the 920 can run at 1600 on my board. My friend and I live in different states so I'm unable to test his memory on my mobo :(

I'm talking to ASUS right now to see if they can offer any insight, and if they can't I'll just try to RMA the memory.

I know it can too. I have a 920 also and really has been one of the best overclocking chips I've had so far. I mean c'mon.4.5ghz stable with 24gigs memory still running close to 1600mhz? You cant ask for much more than that. Thats with 1.65v and 1.35v QPI.

At any rate, i would go ahead and RMA the memory. Not only is it the easiest part to swap out it will also cross off another item in the checklist. I'm with you, I don't think it will change anything, but i have seen on very rare occasions where it did. /shrugs.

If that doesn't work, then get the board replaced.

So I tried one more thing that I probably should have tried a long time ago...

I pulled 2/3 sticks and tried booting at 1600 on an individual 2GB stick... Threw that sucker on XMP and it booted right up on the first stick.

Second stick booted right up at 1600

Third stick would not post.

We have a culprit!

New kit came today, machine booted right up at 2.67 Ghz at 1600 DRAM! I'm very happy about that. Already got it running stable at a slight OC of 3.3 GHz. Thanks everyone!

Just goes to show that memcheck won't catch a speed-related memory fault like this. I learned a lot through the whole experience =) *thumbup*

• 6 months later...
Your missing the point turbo, He's using an older TR3X6G1600C9 kit that should run just fine on his board. And for what ever reason it's not. Even after setting them both manually and with XMP.

XMP version will have nothing to do with it. Not only does his kit use the older XMP version but even the newer 1.3v is still backward compatible. The triple channel kits sold today will have the proper profiles anyway. Your link also says nothing to back up your claim about x58 having problems with XMP 1.3

hi mate i know old post and hijack but this was the only thread i could find about older Xmp ect as i have an Gig X58A ud7 and looking to get ether this CMT32GX3M4X1866C9 save 8gb for later upgrade :biggrin: or CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 both are XMP 1.3, so even if i select XMP in the bios these should enable timings/volts ect ok ? i normally manual type in settings just since i am using the 980x clocked XMP is just easier as i could not due upping the BLK on the 920.

so even if i select XMP in the bios these should enable timings/volts ect ok ?

Yes, it should. But there is always the off chance you would have to set them manually anyway.

Also keep in mind that the 2133mhz kit probably won't run at 2133mhz with that CPU/MB. Most of the first gen I series CPU's topped out about 1866mhz.

i normally manual type in settings just since i am using the 980x clocked XMP is just easier as i could not due upping the BLK on the 920.

I'm sorry , I don't understand this. XMP is no different between the two CPU's. And the same goes for setting memory manually. They both would be set the same.

so even if i select XMP in the bios these should enable timings/volts ect ok ?

Yes, it should. But there is always the off chance you would have to set them manually anyway.

Also keep in mind that the 2133mhz kit probably won't run at 2133mhz with that CPU/MB. Most of the first gen I series CPU's topped out about 1866mhz.

I'm sorry , I don't understand this. XMP is no different between the two CPU's. And the same goes for setting memory manually. They both would be set the same.

so there is that chance of blue screens ect setting Xmp no worry's if that is the case i will set manually mate,

i have seen benches were they had 2000mhz mem running unless you mean stable at 1866mhz and the ud7 does say it supports 2133 (2200) even so not much of an issue.

when i was clocking the 920 i used the BLK to up the speed when i set Xmp the bios reported not the right settings i.e faster ram but timings were the same so i just Manually put the settings in,with the 980x i just up the muti and xmp sets fine.

i have seen benches were they had 2000mhz mem running unless you mean stable at 1866mhz and the ud7 does say it supports 2133 (2200) even so not much of an issue.

Yes, and no. Even though the board is "compatible" with 2133mhz memory that speed is going to be highly dependent on your individual CPU's memory controller. Very few of them are capable of much more than 1866mhz with a small percentage of them being able to run 2000mhz memory without stability issues. There is no way to tell other than try it. Even then it may require further BIOS adjustments

Yes, and no. Even though the board is "compatible" with 2133mhz memory that speed is going to be highly dependent on your individual CPU's memory controller. Very few of them are capable of much more than 1866mhz with a small percentage of them being able to run 2000mhz memory without stability issues. There is no way to tell other than try it. Even then it may require further BIOS adjustments

very true mate, only way is to test :D:

Archived