Corsair Community

Problem with my Dominator w/P5Q Dlx

kuailan

I just to make sure if my Corsair 4GB kit PC8500 dominator RAM is faulty. I have the following specs: Q9550, P5Q deluxe, 750GB Samsung, GTX260. I have not even overclock my cpu yet. In fact I am just using the BIOS default option. I have run Memtest both version 2.01 and 3.4, and both detected fault in the RAM with just over 5% of the test. Now I have just swapped the RAM from my reseller...to my surprise though they are still faulty. I am just surprise what are the chances of getting the same faulty RAM (considering they are Corsair) twice in the same day?? Could it be just the memtest I am using is not correct? I have tried all the possible options such as installing just 1 RAM at the time, and at different slots (thinking it may be my MB that is faulty). This is probably my first bad experience with Corsair RAM in my whole life. They are normally good quality RAM.

The RAM is the Dominator PC8500 C5 kit rated at 5-5-5-15 max Voltage at 2.1. I am just leaving everything at default auto setting for my P5Q deluxe, with Q9550. As I have mentioned I have not even play with any overclocking yet. Well I would assumed that the RAM should run just fine in normal auto setting? no? If I am right Corsair RAM should have the EPP function that should auto adjust the setting with most Intel chipset motherboard? no? Or could it be the memtest that is not reliable? which I highly doubt so.

Ok now, I have just tried the test again using the memtest 2.01 and manually input all the setting. I have put both ram together in the yellow slots of the P5Q and I have put the following setting. FSB is set to 333 (default), DDR frequency 1066, and all the memory timing at 5-5-5-18. Voltage set at 2.10 (max) just as specified by Corsair specs, and all the other options I have left at auto setting. Unfortunately result still faulty...in fact this time is only at 4%.

Now I have just done another test...this time I have set the speed at 800 instead of 1066. With memory timing 5-5-5-15 (manually). Voltage setting however at 1.8...still faulty at 4%...Damn....can I now confirm they are faulty?

Let's try this.

1. Shut the system down
  2. Remove one stick of DRAM (Leave the one in the first slot, remove the other)
  3. Remove the power cord
  4. Remove the CMOS Battery
  5. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to On
  6. Press the power button for 10 seconds
  7. Let sit for 10 minutes
  8. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to Off
  9. Insert the CMOS Battery
  10. Insert the Power Cord
  11. Restart the system
  12. Enter the BIOS
  13. Load Default Settings
  14. Save Default Settings and Exit
  15. Restart the System and enter the BIOS

Download memtest from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Enter your BIOS and set to these values:

AI Overclock Tweaker

Configure System Performance Settings

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual

CPU Ratio Setting = 8.5

FSB Frequency = 333

PCI-E Frequency = 100

FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333

DRAM Frequency = Manual

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1 = Auto

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2 = Auto

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1 = Auto

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2 = Auto

DRAM Timing Control = Manual

DRAM Frequency = DDR2-1066

DRAM Command Rate = 2N

DRAM Timing Control = Manual

CAS# Latency = 5

RAS# to CAS# Delay = 5

RAS# PRE Time = 5

RAS# ACT Time = 15

Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) = 52

All Else to Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Auto

DRAM Read Training = Auto

Mem. OC Charger = Auto

AI Transaction Booster = Auto

CPU Voltage = Auto

CPU PLL Voltage = Auto

FSB Termination Voltage = Auto

DRAM Voltage = 2.1v

NB Voltage = 1.35v

SB Voltage = Auto

PCI-E SATA Voltage = Auto

Loadline Calibration = Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto

Load Line Calibration = Auto

CPU GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

NB GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

Run Memtest for two full passes. Shut the system down, remove the first stick and insert it into the third slot and retest. Finally, remove the first stick, and insert the second stick in the first slot. Retest.

Results?

Thank you guys for your tips. I have just returned again to the reseller. Boy lucky he is nice and friendly. He just gave me a swapped. This time tough we did a test at this place. All good now...we ran the memtest for at least 1 pass. I think it's all good now...although at the moment I am still running the memtest...maybe I will just let it run for at least 10 passes...just to make sure it's good. I already thought so...it must be the faulty RAM...I just never had this unlucky experience with Corsair. Anyway...really appreciate it guys...I will update anyway how it goes... cheers..:D:

DAMN! I think God must be crazy....I dont believe it they are faulty again! I thought I am pretty sure I got them right! At the reseller place, I put one ram, one slot at a time. I am pretty sure I saw they pass 1. Now at home I put both of them together...and GOD I hate the RED errors! Ok I am going to try the tips above...hopefully they are good. Oh by the way, I forget to mention, the BIOS is the latest 1306. I will update again and see how it goes....MAN...THIS IS probably the worst bad experience I had in my whole life...twice swapped faulty...and third one seem to be ok when tested with 1 RAM at 1 Slot at a time...then at home when put together failed! What a luck.....:(:

Let's try this.

[*]Shut the system down

[*]Remove one stick of DRAM (Leave the one in the first slot, remove the other)

[*]Remove the power cord

[*]Remove the CMOS Battery

[*]Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to On

[*]Press the power button for 10 seconds

[*]Let sit for 10 minutes

[*]Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to Off

[*]Insert the CMOS Battery

[*]Insert the Power Cord

[*]Restart the system

[*]Enter the BIOS

[*]Load Default Settings

[*]Save Default Settings and Exit

[*]Restart the System and enter the BIOS

Ok now I have done the above method.

Just have a question: It's strange, I dont think I have a command rate option to make it 2T?? Can anyone tell me which one? Also for the Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) = 52, I only have 50 and 55...at the moment I set it to 55.

Now I am running memtest with 1 stick of the 2GB RAM though...and it is looking good now at 31%....ooops failed again. To be honest with you, I had this at the reseller place. All the RAM seemed to pass with only 1 stick installed at 1 slot at the time. But when I went home...put both together, it failed the memtest again even at only 6%??? what a day for me...

Could very well be the board. It's notoriously picky with ram.

Try increasing PL level to something like 9-10 (default 5)

Also try to change AI clock twister to "light" or "lighter"

But this board is weird, I run my 8500C5D's on it for 6 hours in Prime95 blend without errors, then on next cold boot it would'nt post saying overclock failed.

It seems to be board/bios issues here too.

can anyone tell me which is the command rate 2T in the P5Q deluxe BIOS? I cant seem to find it anywhere there. I have done all the above methods and still found errors. I am going to be crazy soon....really frustrating...How can it was working ok in the reseller test (at least pass 1 test) and when I bring home and put them together and found them faulty again. This is time even when testing in single RAM still faulty. I dont know what's wrong with these RAMs. I have used good quality components: Thermaltake 750W, ASUS P5Q deluxe...so I cant really think why? Do you think there is some compatibility problem with P5Q deluxe especially with BIOS 1306? should I go backward?

Could very well be the board. It's notoriously picky with ram.

Try increasing PL level to something like 9-10 (default 5)

Also try to change AI clock twister to "light" or "lighter"

But this board is weird, I run my 8500C5D's on it for 6 hours in Prime95 blend without errors, then on next cold boot it would'nt post saying overclock failed.

It seems to be board/bios issues here too.

I will try your tips and see what happened. A friend of mine is using the board with Gskill PI series though...and it works ok. Actually I like the Dominator better with the fan. But really at this point, it really drives me crazy. Just like I have mentioned this is probably my first worst experience with Corsair. I have always used Corsair before.

You know it really surprising if there is compatibility issue with the board...because if you look at the list of recommended RAM, this kit is one of them. Unless the Asus engineer are just bunches of rubbish and not testing them properly.

You may find it showing 2N instead. Such as:

DRAM Command Rate = 2N

What BIOS Version are you using?

Can you set the sticks in the black slots and retest?

I am using the latest Bios for P5Q delx, which is the 1306. There is nothing on DRAM command rate...I swear...not even 2N or things like that. You can check them yourself...

I have tried all possible methods including the black slots.

You know I just dont believe it...3 time swapped...and 3 times faulty! Cant be man...must be joking.

At the moment I am trying to go backward with the bios...and see what happen.

This is what I was thinking.

You know it is better if Corsair that launched the complain about the issue rather us the end users. I have already email the tech support...but based on exp I dont think they will reply any time soon. I am sure if Corsair file issue with their board...Asus engineer will look into it.

I am using the latest Bios for P5Q delx, which is the 1306. There is nothing on DRAM command rate...I swear...not even 2N or things like that. You can check them yourself...

I have tried all possible methods including the black slots.

You know I just dont believe it...3 time swapped...and 3 times faulty! Cant be man...must be joking.

At the moment I am trying to go backward with the bios...and see what happen.

The board defaults to 2T so i think you're covered there.

I GAVE UP MAN!!! I have tried to go back to older BIOS...to even as early as 0803!!!! AND DAMN THING STILL ERRORS!!! Oh man....I have to go back to the store again....I really dont know what am I going to tell the reseller?? I AM VERY SURE he must think I am the worst customer of his...Man I really pray he will still be nice....

PS: I really dont know what happened if after the fourth one still failed??

One last thing. Disable "Legacy USB" in the BIOS. You will find it in your USB section.

Retest

Good point here Derek.

Kuailan, are you actually having stability issues or, are you only seeing Memtest errors? As Derek noted, you must disable Legacy USB Support when running Memtest on ASUS MOBOs as there is a conflict with this setting and Memtest.

One last thing. Disable "Legacy USB" in the BIOS. You will find it in your USB section.

Retest

LOOKING GOOOOOOOOD BROTHER!!!:laughing: at the moment it has passed at 38% (everything at default auto setting) and continue....I have never reached this far with both RAM installed!! GENIUS......should have told me earlier....save me trip!

Just a little strange though....why when I was at the reseller place, it passes in the first place with 1 stick in 1 slot?? anyway, I dont want to think too much...if this one goes well within 3 passes...I AM SOOOO DAMN HAPPY that I want to kiss you man....YOU ARE THE MAN!:laughing:

Good point here Derek.

Kuailan, are you actually having stability issues or, are you only seeing Memtest errors? As Derek noted, you must disable Legacy USB Support when running Memtest on ASUS MOBOs as there is a conflict with this setting and Memtest.

Well with my first kit (I hope they are really faulty), I do have stability problem. The problem I have is when shutting down windows...and you try to restart by pressing the power button...the screen will show blank....I have to switch off manually and restart again before everything back to normal. (mind you I never o/c yet).

Second problem, if I restart several times sometime I got blurred or distorted images. Now I know some of you may say it probably is the graphic card or PSU. I doubt it is the VGA, because I have played hours of gaming benchmark, and games and they are ok. Also I think I have quite a reliable PSU in Thermaltake 750....considering I dont have many peripherals, I think it should be sufficient.

Third, since getting the first kit replaced...I always relied on the memtest (without realizing that I need to disable the legacy support)...thus I am all stressed up why are all the memory faulty....just dont make sense. I have always believe the quality of Corsair...cant be after 3 swapped they are still the same!

Anyway....I have a feeling it look good....as I type, it is already 65% passed...I will let it run for at least 3 sets of passes...I will update further.

It's really stupid me....should have known it's not the memory! Because I have ran Prime and OCCT for hours...and they seemed to be ok. It's just I have trouble with the memtest. really driving me crazy. How i just wish someone point out the issue earlier....Anyway thanks a lot guys....bunch of geniuses out here....:laughing:

But, I'm guessing a simple handshake will do;):

Now there's a QFT if there ever was one! :D:

How i just wish someone point out the issue earlier.

I will be inserting it back into my responses with ASUS boards. I had actually thought that this issue had been dealt with by ASUS. I can see now, that this is not the case.

Sorry

Just to update my RAM status now...

its working great! Right now it's running 3.5Ghz (415 x 8.5) at 1.33v, looking very stable. Memory is running at 1106mhz which is slightly O/C that default 1066. I have run memtest...this time 3 passes cycle, run OCCT for 8 hours, prime 8 hours, SuperPI complete up to 32M. I have even tried up to 4Ghz...but due to high voltage and rather high temp to suit my liking...I am happy to just stay at 3.5Ghz. Anyway...great memory kits!:laughing:

Just to update my RAM status now...

its working great! Right now it's running 3.5Ghz (415 x 8.5) at 1.33v, looking very stable. Memory is running at 1106mhz which is slightly O/C that default 1066. I have run memtest...this time 3 passes cycle, run OCCT for 8 hours, prime 8 hours, SuperPI complete up to 32M. I have even tried up to 4Ghz...but due to high voltage and rather high temp to suit my liking...I am happy to just stay at 3.5Ghz. Anyway...great memory kits!:laughing:

Good to hear!

This board is amazing once you get it running :D:

Archived