Corsair Community

Unable to use Corsair Link not detecting PSU/Commander Pro

Blackmartin

I've tried looking at a number of different threads to find a solution to my problem, but everything I've tried does not seem to help.

My Issues:

1. Unable to see Corsair Commander Pro in Device Manager

2. Unable to see CLCP in CL4 (has shown up while attempting to fix and then disappears)

3. Unable to see HX1000i in CL4 (has shown up while attempting to fix and then disappears)

4. My fans work, but zero functionality for my 6x HD120 LED's.

5. Zero Functionality for my 4x LED Lighting Pro Strips.

I am wracking my brain to try and figure out if this is an issue with my CLCP being defective and needing an RMA, I just want the LED's to turn on. My only other thought is my MOBO USB headers arent working (Currently plugged into Slot 1-2 on my ASUS P8Z68-V PRO with HX1000i & CLCP respectively). From what I have read hopefully these screenshots will help you figure out whats going on, I'm only semi-tech savvy enough to get this far lol.

http://i64.tinypic.com/1085o9j.png

http://i67.tinypic.com/2u83.png

http://i66.tinypic.com/2aj0ux0.png

http://i68.tinypic.com/1zmk17l.png

http://i66.tinypic.com/zwjcky.png

http://i66.tinypic.com/20kf140.jpg

Dumb follow up questions:

1. CLCP came with two 2 pin connectors for the RBG hubs, but the controllers that come with HD120's are 3 pin (or cables, however u want to say it). Was I given the wrong cables with my CoPro?

2. I have every fan setup in the sequence I wanted slot 1-6 on the RGB hub, do I need its PWM control in the same number on the CLCP? I.E. Fan 1 in RBG slot 1 & PWM Fan header slot 1.

Dumb follow up questions:

1. CLCP came with two 2 pin connectors for the RBG hubs, but the controllers that come with HD120's are 3 pin (or cables, however u want to say it). Was I given the wrong cables with my CoPro?

2. I have every fan setup in the sequence I wanted slot 1-6 on the RGB hub, do I need its PWM control in the same number on the CLCP? I.E. Fan 1 in RBG slot 1 & PWM Fan header slot 1.

Hi buddy.... not dumb questions at all..

1,.. No mate. you have the correct cables.. they connect between the CoPro and the Rgb Fan Led Hubs ;)..

2, No mate... pwm control order doesn't matter ;)

Spent all night last night attempting different fixes. I'm starting to believe my overall problem is the Commander Pro itself. When attempting to force update the firmware forward and backward, I'm initially met with 'failed to update' and it hangs on boot loader, unable to push to installing anything. When this happens it bricks the CLCP. At this point the devices list shows the CLCP having a blank where the firmware version should be.

In order to allow the firmware upgrade or downgrade from the bricked state, I then have to restart my computer. Upon initially opening CL4 back up from reboot I notice my PSU now shows as HX1000i PSU in the device list instead of Corsair PSU and the monitoring is functioning again. As soon as I attempt to push firmware back onto the CLCP, it will install 100% and complete and I suddenly gain functionality back to my 6 HD120 on the last setting I had tried to apply.

Here's where it gets odd. Once I go back into the LED configuration screen and try to switch anything, it immediately shuts off all the LEDs again, the PSU monitor no longer works, and I'm forced to repeat the cycle of 'brick the software, restart computer, force the update' and it will once again come back with the changes I made.

I have already ordered another CLCP from Corsair directly, and am planning to return the currently installed CLCP back to Amazon once I can confirm it was the problem. I also found this is the Release Notes, which may apply to me as my motherboard uses ASmedia USB Controllers with USB 3.0 software. I am not sure why the USB 3.0 Controller would have any effect on the USB 2.0 headers but maybe someone knows me about that then me:

12/22/2017 - Corsair Link Software Update Version 4.9.4.28

Known Issues:

Users connecting Lighting Node PRO or AXi USB dongle to Commander PRO USB hub may experience detection issues if Commander PRO is connected to an AMD chipset or ASMedia USB controller. (Fix ongoing.)

Any thoughts?

First, this is really odd. Can't say that we've seen this particular issue.

Second, the AsMedia compatibility issue is only when the CoPro is connected to an AsMedia USB port. If that's only the USB 3.0 controller and not the USB 2.0 controller, it doesn't apply. We see this frequently with AMD Ryzen motherboards; I don't think it applies to you as your USB headers should be in the Intel controller.

Question: Do you have any other monitoring software running? HWInfo? Aida? HWMonitor?

First, this is really odd. Can't say that we've seen this particular issue.

Second, the AsMedia compatibility issue is only when the CoPro is connected to an AsMedia USB port. If that's only the USB 3.0 controller and not the USB 2.0 controller, it doesn't apply. We see this frequently with AMD Ryzen motherboards; I don't think it applies to you as your USB headers should be in the Intel controller.

Question: Do you have any other monitoring software running? HWInfo? Aida? HWMonitor?

I removed ASUS AiSuite before installing Corsair Link 4, only other program I have monitoring is MSI Afterburner. I did research and check to make sure Afterburner would not cause compatibility issues running along side CL4 but found nothing to suggest it wouldn't work together.

I removed ASUS AiSuite before installing Corsair Link 4, only other program I have monitoring is MSI Afterburner. I did research and check to make sure Afterburner would not cause compatibility issues running along side CL4 but found nothing to suggest it wouldn't work together.

Yeah, Afterburner should be fine. I run it too with no issues.

Try here for CoPro firmware info/downloads dude

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171536

using same process as the node pro

are you using a Molex to Sata converter on the CoPro? or Running EVGA Precision X? (known to cause issues of late but mainly with coolers)

1. The method you referred me to in link #1 is in fact how I was able to force update to downgrade/upgrade the firmware. I tried multiple versions from 0.1.xx - 0.3.xx, as well as current version 0.7.xx (sorry can't remember exactly off the top of my head the firmware #s as I'm at work now and not as my computer, but I tried a lot of different versions). The problem I have is illustrated in picture 2 of that post, where it should normally go from 'bootloader initiating' to 'installing firmware' as it shows in the picture, mine actually hangs up prior to getting to the 'installing firmware' and tells me 'firmware has failed to flash' and gives me the option of retry, skip, or cancel. This is the point it 'bricks' my CLCP and shows in the device list as having no firmware. I am then able to restart my computer, go back to CLCP on the device list and do the force upgrade again and it will push it through. None of the versions I tried however lead to a stable environment where I could actively change the LEDs without them all turning off and bricking again.

2. I am using http://www.corsair.com/en-us/professional-individually-sleeved-dc-cable-kit-type-3-generation-2-white cable set for my HX1000i. One SATA short cable is attached to my SSD & CLCP. My other SATA short cable is attached to the LED Hub & my WD 1TB Drive. No additional adapters are used and I made sure when buying the white cable set to buy the proper Generation for the HX1000i

Try here for CoPro firmware info/downloads dude

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171536

using same process as the node pro

are you using a Molex to Sata converter on the CoPro? or Running EVGA Precision X? (known to cause issues of late but mainly with coolers)

Sorry just watched that YouTube video you linked as well. Would that apply to the CLCP as well? That microUSB connection is different then the one on the CLCP and I have a hard time removing that USB header as my 2nd GTX970 doesn't allow me the finger space to remove and unplug from the motherboard like that while it's in place. Should I remove that card and try that method as opposed to using the software Force Update system?

Sorry just watched that YouTube video you linked as well. Would that apply to the CLCP as well? That microUSB connection is different then the one on the CLCP and I have a hard time removing that USB header as my 2nd GTX970 doesn't allow me the finger space to remove and unplug from the motherboard like that while it's in place. Should I remove that card and try that method as opposed to using the software Force Update system?

It's worth a shot ... yeah. Same method applies to the CoPro.

It's worth a shot ... yeah. Same method applies to the CoPro.

I'll crack open my case and give this a go when I get home in a few hours.

Quick question though. Any reason you can think of why my HX1000i would show up as Corsair PSU (in pic of initial post) with zero monitoring capability until my CLCP is bricked or disconnected at which point it shows up as HX1000i PSU in the device list again and actively monitoring my PSU again.

Seems very weird since the link USB dongle is attached directly to my MOBO Header 1 and CLCP is on Header 2, and not Daisy changed into the CLCP hubs. I would think that would make them work independently of each other even if one happened to be malfunctioning?

I'll crack open my case and give this a go when I get home in a few hours.

Quick question though. Any reason you can think of why my HX1000i would show up as Corsair PSU (in pic of initial post) with zero monitoring capability until my CLCP is bricked or disconnected at which point it shows up as HX1000i PSU in the device list again and actively monitoring my PSU again.

Seems very weird since the link USB dongle is attached directly to my MOBO Header 1 and CLCP is on Header 2, and not Daisy changed into the CLCP hubs. I would think that would make them work independently of each other even if one happened to be malfunctioning?

At this point, I'm baffled too. That's actually a software thing, not a CoPro/hardware thing. Perhaps drivers? Are there updates for your motherboard's USB drivers, perhaps?

I really don't know at this point. Like I said ... this one is new. And it's weird.

I believe I have all the drivers I need. I have everything listed from the Win7 64bit section on https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z68V_PRO/HelpDesk_Download/ that isn't just bloat ware.

The only thing I have never changed is the BIOS. I'm still using the stock version because in most cases I've read it's not advised to update the BIOS unless there are issues. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it sort of deal

one of these?

4874_25_corsair_ax1200i_digital_atx_power_supply_review.jpg???

If so.. I wonder if this is causing any conflicts?

I wonder if this is even compatible with Link any more?

Oh no, I was referring to the cord that comes with the HX1000i to attach it to the USB header.

I did have an idea though. I looked up the chipset for my MOBO according to Intel. Here's a picture of what I gathered from it. It points to 14 USB ports. Would that be referring to the maximum allowed on the USB channels before it maxes out, including all potential slots + HUBs?

Because if I count it out, there's 6 USB 2.0 ports & 2 USB 3.0 on the back I/0. 2 USB 3.0 on top of my case. 4 slot USB 3.0 hub on my Acer Predator. 1 USB 3.0 pass through on my K95 Platinum. Adding that up I get 15 potential slots? I don't know if HUBs takeup channels or how that works. But if that's using 15/14 and then my CLCP is trying to get more, maybe it's causing it to bug out?

http://i68.tinypic.com/a0jqqu.png

But if that's using 15/14 and then my CLCP is trying to get more, maybe it's causing it to bug out?

Deeper than My knowledge dude.. can you not remove a few just to cancel that out anyways?

Edit..

I am well past my Mobo USB count if i go by those rules lol....

I did have an idea though. I looked up the chipset for my MOBO according to Intel. Here's a picture of what I gathered from it. It points to 14 USB ports. Would that be referring to the maximum allowed on the USB channels before it maxes out, including all potential slots + HUBs?

If I understand it correctly, that's just the number of ports directly supported by the chipset, not overall total.

c-attack would likely be the definitive expert on this in these here parts tho.

Gonna try a few possible solutions when I get home. Namely the hard reset of the commander pro, then removing the 4 port hub from my monitor to free up some possible slots. We'll see if anything works this time haha.

^ you make c-attack sound like a old time gunslinger. :D

Well I went through the gauntlet when I got home, tried every combination I could think of firmware / CL4 software versions / updating drivers. I even tried the 'manual reset' method highlighted in that youtube video. But for some reason I would hear the disconnect/reconnecting USB sound, but never get the Recovery Mode drive to show up.

After all was said and done I received my 2nd CLCP today so I went ahead and just swapped that out, to ensure the CLCP was in fact not the problem.

Turns out its the HX1000i thats causing the problems. Once I installed the new CLCP with the newest versions of both firmware + CL4. I decided to remove the Corsair Link USB from my PSU and WHallah! All 6 of my HD120 lights and 4 LED strips now functions properly, and allow me to change settings without crashing or being forced to restart. I'm a little bummed it seems like my solution is to leave the PSU unconnect to link, but I suppose the LED's are worth not being able to read voltages.

My best guess? I'm assuming the HX1000i digital interface doesnt play well with my older MOBO/CPU, as I noticed this in the product description:

Compatibility:

4th generation Intel® Core™ processor Ready (Intel Haswell and Z87 motherboards)

RIP Full intigration dreams, I'll have to hope the HX1000i lives long enough to make it to my next motherboard to replace the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro & i7-2600k Sandy Bridge combo. For now its still alive so I guess I can deal! Cheers and thanks to everyone for the assistance.

Wow! That is certainly odd!

The Haswell and higher compatibility has to do with certain power modes ... there's no reason that it shouldn't work with your system.

BUT ... regardless ... something is definitely amiss and if disconnecting the HX1000i fixes it, I think we most definitely have the root of the issue.

Wow! That is certainly odd!

The Haswell and higher compatibility has to do with certain power modes ... there's no reason that it shouldn't work with your system.

BUT ... regardless ... something is definitely amiss and if disconnecting the HX1000i fixes it, I think we most definitely have the root of the issue.

Well I was able to keep using the HX1000i as my power supply to the system as a whole, I just cannot connect the USB Header to the board for monitoring purposes. At the end of the day at least I still have a rock solid platinum PSU ;)

try running a USB cable from the PSU to the Rear IO,,, worth the punt ;)

Is there a converter or different cord that is MicroUSB to normal USB? I know the included cord obviously only handles Micro -> USB 9 pin. I was considering trying to daisy chain the PSU off the CLCP but I was so happy the LED's were finally working I didn't want to ruin anything again! Lol

Also, it might look kind of ghetto to have a random cord coming out of the back and into a USB, I did spend like 12-15 hours maticulously zip tying and routing all internal cords to look flawless. :D:

Archived