Corsair Community

intel 4790k possible bottleneck?

threebills9909

I was to-ld as long as the gpu was running at 100% then here isnt a bottleneck,i ran star wars battlefront for a run,it looked great,smooth,no problems,but the gpu usage was betwen 95% to 98% i never seen 99 or 100 % is that- a problem? should i overclock he 4790 k from 4.6 to- maybe 4.7 or 4.8(whichi can do i just didnt cause i have to use a lot mroe voltage depelting the chip more),like at 4.6 im at 1.23 volts,to go to 4.7 i need 1.3 ish,and 4.8 it wants like 1.35 or so

• 4 weeks later...
It all depends on the settings in your game, if you are hitting 100% with your GPU and the late 90s with the CPU then you have a pretty good combination. It could be that the game is running with vsync and the card is not being pushed to 100% because it has a limit on the number of frames it has to produce and therefore the card doesn't have to run at 100% because it can handle the work load. If you were pushing both CPU and GPU at 100% chances are you would see some stuttering in game or drops in fps as a result. As Zotty rightly pointed you, you would only really see a bottleneck in synthetic benchmarks.

Archived