Corsair Community

TWINX1024-4400C25PT and EPoX 9NDA3+ will not do 1T....

jimbobaggies

Hi Ram Guy, this is my first post, and I sincerely hope you can help me.

I purchased my combination of mainboard, CPU and memory (as in my signature) through reading reviews, and I also used your compatability link to find out which memory you recommend for the mainboard.

From reviews on several reknowned websites, the processor is capable of comfortably running up to 2.5-2.7GHz on AMDs standard cooler, and the memory should run 275MHz out of the box also, but I am finding that I cannot run the memory @ 1T with 275MHz!

I have tried running the sticks in slots 1&2 and 3&4, also, I have raised VDIMM from the auto setting of 2.7V to 2.8V, but no matter what I have tried, when I run memtest86 they fail after about 80% of the first past, and also, I cannot boot my system into windows without BSOD.

Thanks in advance for your anticipated responce.

Jim.

Welcome to the forums, jimbobaggies!

FYI, it is just now 8:00am in Corsair-Land, so RAM GUY should be getting around to the forums pretty soon. He'll reply as soon as he gets to you!

...but for now, some amateur help:

The command rate setting is more a function of your mainboard/CPU than it is your memory. Since the memory controller is on your CPU, increasing the VCore by 0.05 or so may help you out there. Also, the memory is rated to 2.9 volts and thus 2.85 might help you out as well.

That particular mainboard wouldn't be my first choice for overclocking, but in of itself may also hinder your performance.

Try raising the voltages a little and see what that does for you. Also, how warm is your CPU getting?

PLUR

CK

I beg to differ about the mainboard, I actually searched out extensive reviews, and benchmarks before purchasing it.

The memory is rated (tested at) 2.75V....VDIMM can go up to 2.8V max on my mainboard, but at the end of the day it shouldn't need to go higher if Corsair are stating 2.75V.

http://www.corsair.com/corsair/products/specs/TWINX1024-4400C25.pdf

Atm, the Vcore is on auto 1.4V, so you think upping this may help?

My CPU temp is about 35C idle, 43C after several hours of battlefield, MoH, or hl2

I'm not going to start a flame war, so I'll drop the mainboard thing, however let me rephrase...

The memory is warrantied up to 2.9 volts, tested at Corsair on 2.75 volts, but on a different setup than you have.

PLUR

CK

p.s. RAM GUY is around here somehwere, be patient!

Also this MB is not one know to over clock that well, But I would try 274 MHz and what do you have the HTT Frequency set to?

I have memory and cpu running (1:1) at 275MHz, HTT is set to x3 (825MHZ?)

I'm not going to start a flame war, so I'll drop the mainboard thing, however let me rephrase...

Sorry, didn't mean to sound aggresive about the motherboard, but I can only go by what all the reviews and benchmarks I have seen.

Well I would try the CPU Freq at 274 and you might try and set the CPU VCore and set the memory to 2.85 Volts as well as try the HTT Freq at 2 X.

Why 274? It is only 1 less than at present!

The mb only goes up to 2.8Vdimm.

How much should I raise the Vcore? It is 1.4V at present, 1.45? 1.5?

HTT frequency at 2x, how will this affect things? A lot of people say that the HTT frequency doesn't affect oc, but I am not totally sure of what it does....

Anyways, I am at work for another 3 hours, then I will give it a try, will check back for answers before I go :):

• Corsair Employee
With the Command Rate at 1T it will increase the CPU FSB a few MHz and setting it to 274 may make the difference. And I would not go more than 10% increase on the CPU VCore so about 1.55 Volts Max. But make the changes one at a time as this may help to isolate where the system is failing. And testing the modules one at a time will help as well.

With the Command Rate at 1T it will increast the CPU FSB a few MHz and setting it to 274 may make the difference. And I would not go more than 10% increase on the CPU VCore so about 1.55 Volts Max. But make the changes one ata time as this may help to isolate where the system is failing. And testing the modules one at a time will help as well.

I have run 1T @ 1.475Vcore and 2.8Vdimm, set at 274MHz I am getting thousands of errors in the modulo part of memtest.

Also, with 200MHz CPU & memory, I am getting 7 errors in the modulo part of memtest, see picture below;

http://www.jimbobaggies.f2s.com/MEMTEST_2325_160605.jpg

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

If you find one is failing please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! But if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would try testing them in another MB and or system.

I have gotten a stable overclock on my system, however, I am having to use 2T setting. The reason I am prepared to except this is - I have been to about 15 independent sites that have reviewed this memory, and seems concensus of opinion that it will run 275MHz @ 2T, although some (maybe because of motherboard) actually question the capability of the memory at that speed.

I know from a similar amount of reviews that the processor is capable of running @ 275MHz clock speed, and, that the motherboard is more than capable, and in fact was used on one website to test this RAM as one of the few motherboards capable of running at that speed.

I appreciate everyone's help...

• Corsair Employee
Well I have not seen any reviews of any EPOX MB's for a few years, but honestly I have not looked for them since they pulled out of the enthusiast market. But command rate is more dependant on the system and CPU than the memory

Well I have not seen any reviews of any EPOX MB's for a few years, but honestly I have not looked for them since they pulled out of the enthusiast market. But command rate is more dependant on the system and CPU than the memory

Why do you say they pulled out of the enthusiast market?

They make great overclocking potential motherboards, with good bios utilities! Also, they are one of the only motherboard manufacturers I know that allows their tech support to answer questions and feature requests in a supported forum.

Can u test in DFI mb for sure if you want to test the TwinX1024-4400C25? I see that you have good cpu core (Venice). Your Venice would run 274 x 9 without upping the Vcore! I've 3 pcs 3000+@home and none of them failed to reach FSB 274 with default vcore.

Even TwinX1024-3200XLPT/PROv1.2 will run normally in FSB 274x9/HTT 4x/CL 2.5-4-4-8-1T/2.8v in DFI nF4-DAGF. BTW, I'm not promoting DFI stuff, just to let u know that DFI is best Athlon64 oc mb for current time. :D:

The main reason I went for nf3 is because my x800xt is agp, and I didn't want to spend another £300 (couldn't afford to / misses wouldn't let me) on a PCI-E x850xt (as much as I wanted to).

The motherboard is fine, and in reviews is lorded as one of the few that will capably run 275MHz, and I have run it at 275MHz...as for the 2T, like I said, quite a few site's have done reviews on this memory, and have tested it at 2T!

I have run memtest on this memory @ 200MHz / 1T, and it will not pass test 8. Apparantly this memory uses the same chips as the 3200 memory, although I believe the PCB is modified to let it do 275MHz, and hence the 8-4-4-2.5 timings, although at 200MHz it should run similar timings as the 3200!

I'm not that bothered, as I'm getting good benchmark scores that are correct for a processor and memory running this speed, and I am gradually increasing the frequency back to 275MHz, just making sure my system is stable for a few days before next increase.

The PCB doesn't give the memory it's speed (although it can limit it with a poor design), it's the ICs used. It uses the TCCD ICs, which are designed to do 250 Mhz, but are known to OC well. TCCDs are also used in the 3200XLs. They may not be able to do the same timings (2-2-2-5 @ 200 Mhz), as they aren't tested @ those timings.

The PCB doesn't give the memory it's speed (although it can limit it with a poor design), it's the ICs used. It uses the TCCD ICs, which are designed to do 250 Mhz, but are known to OC well. TCCDs are also used in the 3200XLs. They may not be able to do the same timings (2-2-2-5 @ 200 Mhz), as they aren't tested @ those timings.

I never suggested that the PCB gave the memory it speed, just that it is modified to let it (help it) do 275MHz, whatever way you want to say it.

I know it uses TCCD, and should run 2-2-2-5 @ 200MHz, but is sold to do 8-4-4-2.5 @ 275MHz (although I dont think (know if) it is guaranteed to run @ 1T)...

I have just run memtest @ 275MHz 2T, and 3DMark2001, system is running fine, gonna give it a few days now of playing games and stuff, see how it goes!

• Corsair Employee

Again the command rate is more dependant on the system and CPU than the memory, I have no problem replacing your modules if you like, but I doubt that will solve the problem.

Taken From http://www.rojakpot.com

Quick Review

This BIOS feature allows you to select the delay between the assertion of the Chip Select signal till the time the memory controller starts sending commands to the memory bank. The lower the value, the sooner the memory controller can send commands out to the activated memory bank.

If the SDRAM command delay is too long, it can reduce performance by unnecessarily preventing the memory controller from issuing the commands sooner.

However, if the SDRAM command delay is too short, the memory controller may not be able to translate the addresses in time and the "bad commands" that result will cause data loss and corruption.

It is recommended that you try the 1T command delay for better memory performance. But if you face stability issues, increase the command delay to 2T.

• Corsair Employee
I would give the MB some time to mature and see if they dont release a new bios that might solve this, but as I also said I have no problem replacing the modules at any time, should you decide to try that.

I would give the MB some time to mature and see if they dont release a new bios that might solve this, but as I also said I have no problem replacing the modules at any time, should you decide to try that.

Problem is, I live in the UK, and don't have / cant afford memory to run my rig whilst in the RMA process. Also, I know if I RMA back to the eSeller from which I purchased them, that they would just boot them in a system, see them work, and send them back :sigh!:

Archived