Corsair Community

Collateral for return?

I just want to verify that if I elect to replace my system through warranty, that I have to offer a $500.00 collateral. I have not experienced many warranty returns in my lifetime but this just doesn't sound correct. In review of the Corsair Warranty page, no collateral upon replacement is mentioned. Can someone from Corsair please verify that this is valid?

I just want to verify that if I elect to replace my system through warranty, that I have to offer a $500.00 collateral. I have not experienced many warranty returns in my lifetime but this just doesn't sound correct. In review of the Corsair Warranty page, no collateral upon replacement is mentioned. Can someone from Corsair please verify that this is valid?

Hey Jpott,

I would not pay any collateral if your system was purchased new and is still under warranty. I don't understand why you would have to pay $500 when the product you purchased failed? If a product fails or has issues under warranty, the manufacturer or seller is supposed to fix or replace the product at no extra cost to you. Something doesn't sound right.

• Corsair Employee

Hi JPott,

No, we do not require a 500$ collateral. What they may be asking for is a 500$ deposit on the device, which I'm guessing is a CORSAIR ONE system because that is the only item I can think of where that is required. We require a deposit in cases where we will be shipping the new device first so that we can guarantee a return on the faulty product. This amount is then refunded to you entirely once we receive the faulty device.

We do also offer a Standard Replacement option. This requires we be sent back the item before we ship anything. This does not require any sort of deposit. If you do have a CORSAIR ONE, we are also paying the shipping for that product as well. If you give me your ticket number, I can talk to some people so they can get in direct contact and set that up for you instead.

Thank you for your response, Calico Jack. Yes, it is a Corsair ONE system. I wouldn't have an issue with the "deposit" or "hold" but I also am not willing to volunteer for any other possible issues with a refurbished or newer unit since mine was working perfectly until the SSD failed. Since i have a little more than a year left on the original warranty, I'd rather stick with what I know.

Here is the email that I received regarding the collateral:

"We would like to offer your the following:

1. Repair: This process will have a turnaround time of roughly 2 weeks. We will send you an empty box along with a prepaid label to ship the unit back to us. Once the unit has been repaired, we will send it back to you.

2. Advance replacement: This process will have a turnaround time of 3-4 business days. We will need to call you, put a $500 collateral hold on your credit card and arrange for a replacement to ship out to you first. Once you receive the replacement, please ship the original defective unit to us and we will void the hold on your credit card.

Please let me know which process you would like to proceed with. Thank you."

After reviewing the email, I asked if I chose the replacement option, would the replacement be a new system or a refurbished system and the response received was, "it would depend on availability, a representative setting up the advanced replacement would be able to check inventory for you."

I think I will go with the repair option since all I need is a new SSD. The Warranty of any new or refurbished system would not restart, I'm told my original warranty would remain.

Thank you for your help!

• Corsair Employee

Hi JPott,

I'll make the person responsible for your ticket aware you are ready for your eRMA. They should give you a call back sometime today to help set you up. Sorry for the wait! You can always call in through the CORSAIR ONE Tech Support number for assistance as well.

• 9 months later...
The continued warranty is certainly true. I would suggest proceeding with a normal repair.

I don't believe we send out refurbished Corsair One products. Pretty sure they will always be a new unit, or your original repaired unit.

I am afraid you do send refurbished replacements. In my case this was never communicated to me. I was given the 2 options as mentioned earlier in this thread and decided to follow the "Advanced Replacement" as it was quicker but I thought I will receive a new brand new unit not a refurbished one..(my corsair was 8 months old and costed lots of money...I ended up with a refurbished unit).

As it was never mentioned to me, I though I had received a new unit...now this until failed..when I raised an RMA I was asked for the Product Number, only to find out that mine was (pc-doctor): CS-9000007-UK/RF instead of CS-9000007-UK...that was the time I realised I had refurbished unit. To make things even more dramatic the RMA system was providing CS-9000007-NA/RF as the only option to select...

I would never expect a premium and expensive service to provide refurbished units..

Lets see what I am about to receive now...that Corsair has degraded the old "corsair one pro" to "corsair one" (based on the downloads section) and does not provide updates for those systems anymore.

• Corsair Employee

This post was made something like 10 months ago, and as I understand it we do provide Corsair One's as refurbished now.

That also being said, please note that these are full systems. Refurbishing them generally entails switching out entire hardware components, unlike a hardware component refurb, which involves replacing singular chips or similar inside the product. The failure rate of a system refurb should be significantly lower.

• 2 weeks later...
This post was made something like 10 months ago, and as I understand it we do provide Corsair One's as refurbished now.

That also being said, please note that these are full systems. Refurbishing them generally entails switching out entire hardware components, unlike a hardware component refurb, which involves replacing singular chips or similar inside the product. The failure rate of a system refurb should be significantly lower.

I see..but by the time my machine was getting replaced what are the chances I knew I was getting a refurbished.. when this was never communicated and even in the forums, information were not accurate..?

PS: I am looking at this post now, only because I realised I got a refurbished very recently

Archived