The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Enthusiasts Section > System Builds, Modding, Custom Components, and Picture Gallery

Old 05-08-2018, 10:02 AM

POST ID # = 953777
kipy_tx Reputation: 10
Default Air 540 Case modded to add Illuminated Etched Glass.

The clear plastic panels scratch so easily and with a case illuminated from the inside the micro scratches become very obvious very quickly. So I had been thinking about adding tempered glass for awhile and when I ran across images of illuminated etched glass I was sold.

I picked Battletech for theme as I have been playing it since 1985. Yes I'm a little old now, or Retro if your prefer.

Modding the side panel was not quite as simple as I thought as not only do you need to cut off the metal tabs that hold the plastic on you also need to remove a metal lip around the inside edge of the panel that helps holds the plastic in place. Then i had to cut the rounded internal corners of the case to accommodate the square corners of the glass. Even after this I couldn't quite place the non corsair LED strips in as I wanted and had to settle for 2 strips instead of 3 and even those two are less then ideally placed. I am thinking of getting the Corsair strips as the actual LED portion itself is shorter.

I am not very good about taking photos as I go so I hope a final product photo will suffice.

[IMG]https://photos.app.********/pjUiM85qUaPgZPWf9[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180506_144358.jpg (3.48 MB, 130 views)

Last edited by kipy_tx; 05-08-2018 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Changed the photo to remove personal info.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:23 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 954077
Corsair Mike Reputation: 10

Your glass side panel mod came out really clean. I really like how the light catches on the etched glass. I'm also a huge Battletech/Mechwarrior fan so this is right up my alley.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:39 PM

POST ID # = 955567
kipy_tx Reputation: 10

Thanks Mike,

Fortunately the blemishes are small enough that the camera didn't pick them up. I used a Dremel tool to cut the metal. In doing it free hand it let the blade mark up areas I rather it not have.