Corsair Community

RM650X Way to set quiet mode?

MRCS

To get better and quieter airflow I would like to have the 120 mm fan in my RM650X run in quiet mode rather than fanless. Is there any way to do this? One thing I have thought of, if the fan is connected like other PSUs that I have opened, is to disconnect the fan connector inside the enclosure and route it one of my motherboard case fan connectors. However, my motherboard only has 2 case fan connectors and I am already using them both.

To get better and quieter airflow I would like to have the 120 mm fan in my RM650X run in quiet mode rather than fanless. Is there any way to do this? One thing I have thought of, if the fan is connected like other PSUs that I have opened, is to disconnect the fan connector inside the enclosure and route it one of my motherboard case fan connectors. However, my motherboard only has 2 case fan connectors and I am already using them both.

Hello there! So to give you a bit of peace of mind, the PSU is perfectly fine operating in ZERO RPM mode. You will not need to have the PSU fan running and it should be left as-is to ensure proper operation of our unit. It doesn't get any quieter than a PSU fan that isn't spinning!

I would highly recommend that you leave the PSU intact and would advise against opening the unit. Not only will it void the warranty, it's also quite dangerous. Please don't do this!

If you have any other questions, comments, or concerns, please let us know.

It doesn't get any quieter than a PSU fan that isn't spinning!

Yeah, but that misses the point. I would like to have some suction out the top of my case, using a nice quiet 120 mm fan that's already there.

For future products, you may want to consider having a slide switch on the side that can set the unit for different mininal modes.

Yeah, but that misses the point. I would like to have some suction out the top of my case, using a nice quiet 120 mm fan that's already there.

For future products, you may want to consider having a slide switch on the side that can set the unit for different mininal modes.

A case fan set in exhaust mode would be better in your respective situation.

However, promoting positive pressure is significantly better. As an example, it's better to have 3-4 filtered intake fans and one exhaust. This forces a ton of clean and dust-filtered air into your case and forces it out through all the available un-filtered holes of the case, which also includes your PSU. This is a better solution as it not only keeps a huge majority of your case clean and cool, it forces air through your PSU as well (if you have it facing the components and not the outside).

Archived