Corsair Community

Is passive mode in AX760 really silent?

Slawexsdz

Hello. I am trying to make a fully passive PC. I have eliminated all noise sources and now the most noisy unit is power Supply - AX760.

Even in passive mode the Corsair is frustratingly noisy - I don't mean it's fan is noisy but sounds that are generated via electronics and transformer.

Is it normal in Power Supply for almost $250? Is there someone who owns the same model? How loud is it?

Yes , it is normal ...when i bought a new psu in 2012 i was thinking on buying a good\long lasting psu so i bought a corsair hx850...it was a disappointment , the noise from the fan ramping up and down the rpm was driving me nuts because at some low rpm the fan generated a noise from the vibration inside the psu chassi\case.

So I decided to upgrade the hx to the ax860 model . Since the first day I notice a electronic" noise just like the old tv's coming from the psu even when was off ...didn't knew if it was a faulty psu or just a feature" XD so I came back to the store and asked if it was possible to try another Ax860 just to check that ... Unfortunately it was a feature so i gave up and decided to go to the big brother , Ax860I

Funny thing is 2 days ago the ax860i died , with almost 6 years of light use ...and now I have to spend more money just to send it to rma

• Corsair Employee
Hello. I am trying to make a fully passive PC. I have eliminated all noise sources and now the most noisy unit is power Supply - AX760.

Even in passive mode the Corsair is frustratingly noisy - I don't mean it's fan is noisy but sounds that are generated via electronics and transformer.

Is it normal in Power Supply for almost $250? Is there someone who owns the same model? How loud is it?

Sounds like it could be coil whine from what you're describing. It shouldn't be there really and you can contact support about it.

http://support.corsair.com

Archived