Corsair Community

CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 on GA-X58-UD3R recommended settings

psycho13

Could you please tell me if you tested this pair of memory/mainboard and if there are no known issues, what are the best settings for these?

I'm not interested in overclocking, but I would do some if it ran with the stock coolers and if it would get me rid of the BSODs.

When i start up the comp after being allowed to cool off, it enters Windows, does a BSOD with MEMORY MANAGEMENT and restarts. After it warms up, starts up no problem. Please advise to BIOS recommended settings for MOBO, CPU and memory.

Thank you in advance.

Below is my CPU-Z report.

CPU-Z version 1.56

Processors Information

Name Intel Core i7 950

Codename Bloomfield

Specification Intel® Core i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz

Package (platform ID) Socket 1366 LGA (0x1)

CPUID 6.A.5

Extended CPUID 6.1A

Core Stepping D0

Technology 45 nm

Core Speed 1619.2 MHz

Multiplier x FSB 12.0 x 43.0 MHz

Rated Bus speed 2428.9 MHz

Stock frequency 3066 MHz

Memory Frequency 539.7 MHz (2:8)

CAS# latency (CL) 8.0

RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 8

RAS# Precharge (tRP) 8

Cycle Time (tRAS) 20

Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 60

Command Rate (CR) 1T

Uncore Frequency 2159.0 MHz

XMP profile XMP-1600

Specification PC3-12800

Voltage level 1.650 Volts

Min Cycle time 1.250 ns (800 MHz)

Min tRP 10.00 ns

Min tRCD 10.00 ns

Min tWR 15.00 ns

Min tRAS 30.00 ns

Min tRC 50.63 ns

Min tRFC 110.00 ns

Min tRTP 7.50 ns

Min tRRD 7.50 ns

Command Rate 2T

XMP timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC-CR @ frequency (voltage)

XMP #1 6.0-6-6-18-31-2T @ 600 MHz (1.650 Volts)

XMP #2 8.0-8-8-24-41-2T @ 800 MHz (1.650 Volts)

Thank you for removing the useless stuff in my post.

I only had one option of profile in the bios drop down list and I enabled it. Now:

Memory Size 6144 MBytes

Channels Triple

Memory Frequency 799.4 MHz (2:12)

CAS# latency (CL) 8.0

RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 8

RAS# Precharge (tRP) 8

Cycle Time (tRAS) 24

Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 88

Command Rate (CR) 2T

Uncore Frequency 3197.8 MHz

Could you please tell me if you tested this pair of memory/mainboard and if there are no known issues?

Thanks a million. I'm going to shut the rig down.....hope it works in the morning.

Edit:

Well, I started her up this morning, two restarts then working fine. So i'm not quite in the clear, but improving. Maybe I need to fiddle around with the settings some more.

It says that XMP profile 2 should be 8.0-8-8-24-41-2T @ 800 MHz (1.650 Volts). WHat exactly is the 41? Because my Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) is 88. I hope that's not it. And if it is, should i manually input 41?

Sorry about all the bother.

Anyway, i seem to have what is called a Cold Boot issue.

The first time i started my rig it worked fine. I left on for about a week and had no issues. The next boot up, it BSOD-ed and restarted two times, went into windows repair and then worked. Kept it on for about two weeks. Next boot-up, same thing. This week, it would not start at all. A lot of restarts, even went through "no boot disk" error.

The BSODs are about memory management. Memtest when it doesn't start showed about a trillion errors, after it starts no errors.

any advice about that?

• Corsair Employee
I would test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org, if one of the modules is causing that the problem will show up when you test them one at a time and the other will run with out problems, in which case I would suggest getting an RMA and get them replaced but if they all display the same symptoms then check with the MB maker for the latest BIOS and see what they say.

• 6 months later...
Okay, so i tested the modules and they're fine. Flashed the BIOS to the latest stable version(FF), still having issues. What are the recommended timmings and voltage settings for this to run at normal spec? Do i have to overclock the processor?

What are the recommended timmings and voltage settings for this to run at normal spec?

8.0-8-8-24-41-2T @ 800 MHz (1.650 Volts)

Instead of enabling XMP try entering them in manually. For some reason XMP does not work for some users. Timings and voltages are always printed on the labels of each stick.

I would also make sure your memory controller voltage is set to 1.35v as well. (QPI voltage)

Do i have to overclock the processor?

You already are ! Since the memory controller is now on the CPU , when you overclock the memory as you are, it is in fact overclocking the CPU. There is always the possiblity that you CPU wont allow you to run the RAM anything higher than stock 1333mhz. The 950's are probably the worst chips for overclocking. They seem to have the weakest memory controllers out of all the 1-7 series CPU's

Are these settings OK?

I don't really understand what the 41 is ! (8.0-8-8-24-41-2T @ 800 MHz (1.650 Volts) )

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:

##Channel A Standard Timing Control##

CAS Latency Time ...........................8

tRCD .......................................8

tRP ........................................8

tRAS .......................................24

##Channel A Advanced Timing Control##

tRC ........................................27

tRRD .......................................4

tWTR .......................................4

tWR ........................................8

tWTP .......................................19

tWL ........................................7

tRFC .......................................60

tRTP .......................................4

tFAW .......................................20

Command Rate (CMD) ................

##Channel A Misc Timing Control##

Round Trip Latency .....................51

B2B CAS Delay ..........................-

--------------------------------------------------------

QPI/VTT 1.35v

RAM 1.66v

CPU,RAM multi?? I was using these:

CPU Clock Ratio ................................ 23x

QPI Link Speed .............................. x36

Uncore Frequency .......................... x16

Memory frequency...........................x8

it won't boot at all with these settings(overclocking failed)

ram 1.66v

ram multi 12

qpi/vtt 1.355v

uncore multi 24

cpu multi 23

QPI 36

ram timings are 8-8-8-24 with 2T

One more question: if the command rate is 2T does that double the effective frequency(if the multi is set for 800 MHz, with 2T is it 1600?)

With the QPI/VTT i'm already in the red on the mobo(1.355), should I up it one more time?

• Corsair Employee

Yes I would try 1.375 or 1.40 for the QPI Voltage.

Command Rate is not really a memory setting and would be dependent on the make and model of MB and PSU and the specific CPU you have installed. You might look this/those setting /'s up on the BIOS Optimization Guide at Techarp and get a better explanation.

okay, i upped the qpi/vtt voltage to 1.375 and it booted up fine.

The temps are fine, last night it worked ok, but this morning BSOD with the same settings:

ram 1.66v

ram multi 12

qpi/vtt 1.375v

uncore multi 24

cpu multi 23

QPI 36

ram timings are 8-8-8-24 with 2T

Should I increase the DRAM termination voltage also?

• 6 years later...

Hi,

i have the "dishappearing" ram problem with this kit (actually, 2 of them - for a total of 12Gb) and a GA-X58A-UD7-V2, bios FD and a x5670 xeon processor.

I had it last year, then it went away by itself.

Two weeks ago, it started happening again.

The problem is the same as in this video:

[ame]

[/ame]

Usually, from a cold start, the pc boots up in windows: after a few seconds (or minutes) i get a BSOD and after a reset, at startup, the computer detects only 8Gb of ram. After minutes of fiddling and many resets, the PC reports 12Gb again and works flawlessy... The morning after (cold start) the same happens.

By now i tried tRFC of 128 (wich is what i get from "auto"), 80 and, now i tried 100 (i know if there will be any difference tomorrow i guess).

I see in the thread you advice to put "41" for tRFC. If 100 fails i'll try that.

Any other advice? I'm going crazy.

So, i found out that my board, as "safe" or "optimized" settings sets 108 for tRFC on channel A and 74 on channel B and C.

That leads to crashes and one channel to dishappear on cold boots.

It may be very well the bios or the board itself, even if i don't think so (as i see it was a very common problem on X58 boards from various manifactures and various ram models/makers).

Imposing a fixed parameter for all three channels fixes the issue (100 or 74 in my case).

So, even if it's old tech and stuff, if that happens to anybody else they know how to fix the problem.

BTW: XMS reports only 1 profile and it *never* worked correctly (at least, on my board).

Cheers.

• Corsair Employee
So, i found out that my board, as "safe" or "optimized" settings sets 108 for tRFC on channel A and 74 on channel B and C.

That leads to crashes and one channel to dishappear on cold boots.

It may be very well the bios or the board itself, even if i don't think so (as i see it was a very common problem on X58 boards from various manifactures and various ram models/makers).

Imposing a fixed parameter for all three channels fixes the issue (100 or 74 in my case).

So, even if it's old tech and stuff, if that happens to anybody else they know how to fix the problem.

BTW: XMS reports only 1 profile and it *never* worked correctly (at least, on my board).

Cheers.

From the limited experience I have on X58 and what you have seen, I do believe the bios to be the culprit.

-Art

Archived