Corsair Community

Force Series 3 and Force GT Firmware Update Ver 1.3.3

Yellowbeard

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Corsair,

I´ve just updated my Force GT 120 Gb and so far so good! With 1.3.2 my ssd just crashed randomly and was not usable, now I´ve been using it for almost an hour. Hopefully this FW fixed everything.

I hope I´m not getting ahead of myself but I like to thank you guys for posting this on a sunday and for getting this out rather quickly.

I also take to opportunity to ask Corsair to keep your clients more on the loop when there are problems like this. I can see Yellowbird doing his best, but I think that we the affected users, would have been more confortable if we had Corsair stating that you acknowledge the problem and is working on a fix. I was coming to believe that my only option would be to RMA the drive.

To me RMAing is not a confortable option as I live in Angola (Africa) and sending this drive to the US via DHL would be very expensive, the same would apply to getting it back plus paying for customs.

But hopefully this new FW has fixed everything so keep up the good work but please be more open when problems like this happen!

:)

Flashed my Force 3 240gb to 1.3.3 with no issues. I already had flashed to 1.3.2. I ran ATTO and see very minor differences in speeds between this and my last flash. This is good news. I will report back if I have any more problems with the drive not being recognized at boot. This was random with 1.3.2 so it may take a couple days.

For my fellow AMD chipset brothers.... The following steps will help you. You cannot update the drive with the AMD sata / ahci drivers installed.

- Make sure you are running in AHCI mode and not IDE

- De-install (AMD SATA Controller) which is under control panel / hardware and sound / device manager / IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

- Restart the pc after AMD SATA Controller is de-installed

- Win7 will install generic MS AHCI controller upon reboot.

- Disk drives will be found again via windows / rebooted

- Win 7 then auto updated the MS AHCI controller / rebooted

- As long as windows does not install anything else at this point or ask for another reboot (which it may if it has to discover the drives again after the update), run the corsair tool and all should work.

- Restart the pc once you get the green checkmark in the corsair tool.

- Last, update latest AMD AHCI controller to 11.9 from the AMD site as it is finally better IMO than the generic microsoft ahci drivers and measures faster speed wise. (did for me)

Tonight I got a decent amount accomplished :)

• Upgraded Corsair Force GT to 1.3.3
  • Upgraded BIOS on my Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD5 to F5 (still didn't fix boot cycling issue, damn)
  • Updated my secondary BIOS to F5
  • Reset CMOS and setup my BIOS
  • Secure erased the SSD and re-ghosted my OS onto it from my WD drive

Fingers crossed everything is smooth from here on out, will advise if I encounter any issues :)

Cheers

Zambz

I just got in to work this morning and had a feeling the new FW would be out. Didn't check all weekend. Nice to see the update is out! I know have been on here before giving Corsair a lot of grief, bitching and moaning, etc, but I understand that these things just happen sometimes. Especially with new tech. I take every bad thing I said back. You guys were on top of this from the get go. Even though it did take some time, you pulled it off in the end. I feel much for confident in Corsair now. Great work on getting the new FW out, and not rushing it until you were able to test it yourselves. I feel confident in my F3120GB, its been stable for a long time. Again...great work...and keep it up! :D:

The instructions haven't been updated fully for the new firmware versions. The upgrade tool does not recognize my Force 3 60GB drive anymore......nothing has changed in my configuration and I was able to update the firmware twice already. Currently on 1.3.2

The update tool has not changed. It's the EXACT same file. I've uploaded the updates from the computer I am using now and I used the same copy of the updater each time.

If you can't get it to update, RMA it to us and we'll update it for you.

So far so good on my end, left the PC on overnight, so it's been stable for around 7 hours. I'll probably let it run another day to see how it gets along.

To anyone having major issues, the secure erase did indeed seem to do the trick and gave me stability on version 1.3.2 as well. Fingers crossed those dreaded BSODs never return.

Glad to have chosen Corsair for my SSD.

Is it mandatory to secure erase the ssd after any firmware update? I have a mac, so I will pull the drive to update it in a pc (sandforce and its partners be blamed for ignoring mac users and their need for a simple update utility for mac os!!!), but I really do not want to secure erase it and start all over again. Is it so paramount?

Is it mandatory to secure erase the ssd after any firmware update? I have a mac, so I will pull the drive to update it in a pc (sandforce and its partners be blamed for ignoring mac users and their need for a simple update utility for mac os!!!), but I really do not want to secure erase it and start all over again. Is it a so paramount?

Personally I haven't done it myself. It worked fine - no BSODs.

HOWEVER, if you do experience problems even after the FW update, I believe it's Corsair's standard advice and do an SE.

If you have problems even after that you're looking at some advanced troubleshooting or probably an RMA.

EDIT: I was having speed problems, until I turned off all C states in my bios, now its maxing in ATTO at 560.538 read and 490.293 in WRITE!!! wow, advertised specs are 555 and 495... not too shabby! All with no random BSODs yet when normally id have 3-4 by now!!!

GREAT JOB CORSAIR, 1.3.3 is THE BEST for me so far!

Carry on!

For my fellow AMD chipset brothers.... The following steps will help you. You cannot update the drive with the AMD sata / ahci drivers installed.

- As long as windows does not install anything else at this point or ask for another reboot (which it may if it has to discover the drives again after the update), run the corsair tool and all should work.

what would you suggest if it wants to reboot after uninstalling AMD driver? I have tried updating firmware without rebooting (after removing AMD SATA driver) and tried to upgrade firmware with a reboot. Windows Auto updates AMD SATA driver after restart and I'm right back where I started.

I usually update firmware by removing ssd drive and updated on another pc. I was hoping not to have to do that. I have 1.3.2

Zambz,

does that include any wake from sleep time? that seems to be where I have issues.

I hope 1.3.3 does the trick for me.

Just tested that too with no issues but to be honest, I don't recall if I tested it previously as I don't use sleep often ... considering how awesome it is these days, perhaps I should!

My specs are;

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD5

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 II (standard power supply used 500W)

CPU: i7-2600K (standard cooler)

Memory: Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9)

Graphics: Asus nVidia GTX560 TI

SSD: Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD 2.5"

HD: Caviar Black 2TB

The only issue I have currently is the boot cycling issue on the Gigabyte board although that's pretty easy to avoid (just don't hit reset).

I originally had an ASUS P8Z68-V-PRO which was giving me even more unusual problems before boot, random lockups and such. Windows did run stable on it though, but it would intermittently lock up on power on. After moving the SSD to the Gigabyte board, I started getting constant BSODs even after a reinstall. The secure erase appeared to remedy this. After which I upgraded to 1.3.3 and did the full CMOS reset, BIOS upgrade, SE and re-image the OS from my 2TB drive.

Since then it's been great, although I'm hoping issues don't come back later at random :eek:

what would you suggest if it wants to reboot after uninstalling AMD driver? I have tried updating firmware without rebooting (after removing AMD SATA driver) and tried to upgrade firmware with a reboot. Windows Auto updates AMD SATA driver after restart and I'm right back where I started.

I usually update firmware by removing ssd drive and updated on another pc. I was hoping not to have to do that. I have 1.3.2

How I did it was select properties for the AHCI Controller in device manager. I then selected "Driver - Update Driver" Next select "Browse my computer" and then select "Let me choose from a list...." I was then able to select the M$ driver which was preserved after a couple reboots. I never uninstalled the AMD driver.

Archived