Corsair Community

500R HDD Elastic Suspension Trials

ElcomeSoft

Well, I like a quiet case and despite my Western Digital Caviar Green hard drives being some of the quietest, if not the quietest of the modern 3.5" HDD's they are transmitting a lot of vibration through the Carbide 500R's drive mounting system.

Being a member of a one of the biggest silent computer forums for quite a long time, I previously used an elastic suspension for this hard drives in my old case to great effect.

I remembered that I had removed the uppermost HDD cage from the case as I did not require it and thought that I'd use two old and dead hard drives and see what results I came up with.

Below are my pictures. Please bear in mind that the bottom HDD has only been secured by one pair of loops of wool as a temporary measure to ascertain whether two hard drives were suspendable. Also these hard drives are DEAD and I do not intend to use wool in the final build. Finally, I use a camera phone for all of my photos and I am not a photographer.

Seems like if you're good, you could fix up 3 HDD's in suspension if you're good.

IMAG0052.thumb.jpg.796842a24304db3118f370292313b03e.jpg

IMAG0053.thumb.jpg.0fe030cd9eb1861bbdcc1bfa38b1a94b.jpg

IMAG0054.thumb.jpg.10ef200f46a0a38b1c79a10dbaeadb77.jpg

IMAG0055.thumb.jpg.2051826bd52382a6cf7eff038be6f06d.jpg

The 500R's rail and grommet system is great for quickly installing HDD's into a system but it is absolutely terrible for vibration noise.

The hard drives make minimal contact with the rubber grommets and put most of their vibrations through the pins and the sliding plastic trays.

I set up my elastic suspension yesterday, took me about 30 minutes to remove the cage, hook up two hard drives and put the cage back in place. Difference in vibration transmission is night and day. Noise is down slightly with my H100 pump making more noise than the rest of my system combined at idle.

There's an easier way to set this up :p

Gogo Gadget MSPaint skills!

attachment.php?attachmentid=9790&stc=1&d=1323838026

And yes, I'm aware it looks like two christmas crackers. Not intended.

(Seriously? The forum autocorrects christmas to "Holidays"? What the ****?)

That is the way the lower HDD is mounted. I mounted the uppermost HDD differently to see what the difference was both in stability and ease of installation.

Hey! I combined your two designs and the noise is 100% completely gone. :) I doubled up on the elastics just in case they break. Thanks for the ideas.

That's excellent news

I've just posted a picture of my elastic suspension of two drives in my case. I used 3 lots of 1.5mm thick Stretch Magic elastic to keep each drive secure.

Setting both drives away on a work intensive task, place finger on HDD cage, barely any vibration transmitted. Job well done.

640914479_IMAG0056-Copy.thumb.jpg.9d82325a77302e66a04ea8d028694654.jpg

• 1 year later...

I found an easier way to silence my drives on the 500R.

I removed the pins and the small side plates that hold them and replaced them with the metal pins from a 300r case. The 300R pins don't attach to the drive tray they just sit inside the rubber grommets.

I put a couple of strips of self adhesive foam on the bottom of the drive tray to stop that vibrating and now my drives are silent.

And yes, I'm aware it looks like two christmas crackers. Not intended.

(Seriously? The forum autocorrects christmas to "Holidays"? What the ****?)

It's quite sad that something like this has to be changed as to not offend other religions. But that's why it auto corrects.

Archived