Corsair Community

Another Obsidian 1000D - Build Notes

I'm a bit late to start this thread. Probably should've started a build log thread back when the initial build components had arrived (late August).

But better late then never. Phase one was about getting everything installed into the case and working, doing some initial overclocking and recording some preliminary temps. That's pretty much done.

I know we're not supposed to list system components since they are in the system specs drop-down list. But not all the components interesting to people doing builds can be shown there. So in this one post, I'll list all the current components, with some additional detail - hopefully it's helpful to someone.

Case: Corsair Obsidian 1000D

Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme

CPU: Intel Core i9-7940X (O/C: All cores 4.5GHz @1.126V)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro (TIM = Thermal Grizzly Kyronaunt)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (8 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 (@XMP 3200)

Video Cards: 2x EVGA GeForce 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 Gaming iCX

Displays: (Bunch of Dells, see system specs)

Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 SSD

PSU: Corsair AX1600i 1600W 80+ Titanium Certified

Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Cherry MX Speed

Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB

Fans: 10 x LL120 RGB (8 @front, 2 @rear)

Fans: 3 x LL140 RGB (3 @top)

Commander Pros (1 built in, 1 extra)

Phase two will be about improved cooling. The AIO was to get me started. Now I want to (probably) delid the CPU and switch to a custom loop or two. This is where I'm at now, researching what will fit, what works well, and then ordering and installing it.

Phase three will be figuring out some more storage. Not sure yet what I want to do, additional storage-wise, so I've delayed a bit to figure it out. Maybe a couple additional SATA SSDs with a couple large HDD backup drives.

Phase four will be about ordering some custom cables and more fan cable extensions, figuring out my cable and wiring runs and cleaning it all up so it looks vaguely presentable.

Once the mods approve my photo uploads, I will post the ubiquitous pre-install components photo and a photo of the nasty wiring mess I have at the back side of the case with all the fan wiring so everybody can make fun of me (but I really am going to clean it all up, once everything's done :biggrin:).

I also have some photos of the H150i Pro installed at the front of the case, which is something a couple/few people have asked about, wondering if it'll reach (which it does, kind of). Those will get posted here as well when they clear moderation.

A few misc. notes about the build so far...

• Fan Trays

Not sure if it's this way for everybody, but while getting the fan trays out was very easy, putting them back was a little tricky. Mostly, I had to use more force than I would've expected. For both the front and top, I had to push really hard to get the trays all the way back in. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've done a couple times and it always requires a lot of force.

• H150i Compatibility

The H150i Pro will work at the front, but it's extremely tight and might only work for me because of my specific motherboard and the fact that I have the cooler installed against LL120 fans at the front of the case (thus it's 25mm closer to the CPU than it would be installing directly to the front fan tray).

It would be better to get the 8x120 (or 4x120) top fan tray from Corsair and stick it at the top, although I think the airflow is better at the front, so there's that to consider.

Because the cooler is at the outer limit of the tubing's reach, I had to struggle to get it installed on the CPU. The cooler kept rotating and slipping out of the bracket that holds it down. I finally got it, but as you'll see in the photos, once I can post them, the cooler is very slightly off-angle. Doesn't seem to be affecting temps, but that, and the pressure on the nearest memory module are not a good long term solution.

So... can it be done? Yeah, depending on your board and on top of fans mounted to the tray. But I don't think I'd recommend it. For me it's temporary until I get the custom loop ordered and installed.

• 2x 140mm Fans In Rear

I tried to see if 2 LL140 fans would fit at the rear of the case, one over the other. They do not. It's close, but the gap between the topmost expansion card slot and the bottom of the upper fan-tray rails doesn't leave enough room. It's maybe off by a quarter of an inch - maybe less. Kind of a bummer.

I guess that probably means that fitting a 280mm radiator there also won't work. That is probably all spelled out on the Corsair website, which shows allt he radiator or fan compatibility. So probably not a surprise. But it's so close that if Corsair is doing another production run, they might want to consider making that gap a bit larger by moving the upper fan tray up a 1/2". Or perhaps some other solution that limits the impact of the fan tray rails on what fits.

• Airflow, Rad space and Compromises.

X299 and Skylake X generates a lot of heat. The VRMs and PCH can get pretty hot while stress testing when overclocked. I may wind up with a monoblock for the VRMs, but there's not a ton I can do with this particular motherboard to watercool the PCH.

So having some airflow through the case is important if I want to maximize the overclock and maintain a relatively quiet build (i.e. low fan speeds).

In planning the cooling loop, I'm finding myself having to figure out some kind of compromise between maximizing radiator surface area and maintaining good airflow inside the case. I am likely to add another video card. Which will up the requirement for radiator surface space.

This is complicated by the apparently reported fact that certain radiators, those that are fairly wide, won't fit in the fan trays without having to cut the edges of the fan tray off. So for instance, HW Labs rads, which are on the wider side, won't fit 2 across in the trays. I wonder if Corsair couldn't produce some fan trays that are not rounded at the edges, allowing wider rads to fit?

I might wind up doing something like 2 480mm rads up front, 2 360mm rads top-rear, leaving two 120mm fans at the top-front to intake cool air, and the two 120mm fans at the rear pulling hot air out.

Still leaves me wondering how to get cool air to flow across the lower part of the motherboard where the PCH is. So maybe 2 360mm at the front-top, leaving the two bottom fans uncovered to pull cool air in at the bottom of the case.

I learned a bit more about radiator space last night. Wrote about it (and posted some videos from a guy who's done a major Obsidian 1000D build) over in the radiator compatibility thread here.

The TL:DR of it is that it's possible to fit two decently wide rads (130mm, maybe even wider) side-by-side at the front. You just need to install fans into the tray, than the rad to the fans. That should permit most of the popular radiator brands to fit into the case; not limited to just AlphaCools with their narrow 124mm width (unless you want to directly install the rads to the fan tray).

Was waiting to order a second graphics card until I saw some real world performance benchmarks on the RTX 2080 Ti's. I figured if they were truly worth the extra money, I'd sell off the single 1080 Ti I picked up in late August and order 2 of the new Turing cards.

Reviewers got a chance to do some RTX benchmarking today. After reading through a couple, the bottom line for me is that the performance improvement of the RTX 2080 Ti is only worth maybe half the increase in the price.

So I just ordered a second, matching EVGA card for now. And a couple EVGA waterblocks for the two cards.

I'll wait and see (a) what happens with pricing over the next year and (b) what game and other software enhancements for the Turing architecture take place over that same time period. Then I'll reevaluate.

And here's a shot of the too-tight tolerances for fitting the H150i Pro at the front of the case. Only because the fans are installed to the fan-tray first can it fit at all. And even with fans, it still might not fit with some motherboards and/or memory modules.

Not to mention that the fluid tubing looks terrible stretched out that way.

Work look and work much, much better installed at the top into a 4x120 or 8x120 fan tray.

yZJjU7C.jpg

Hopefully this helps somebody considering putting the H150i Pro up front in making that decision.

I was wondering if the H150i would fit in the front. I rather put it the front than the top. But as of now, I am not sure what motherboard I'll get so it might still be a tight fit.

I'll probably get an Asus motherboard once the 9th generation chips come out and the also Z390 chipset.

I was wondering if the H150i would fit in the front. I rather put it the front than the top. But as of now, I am not sure what motherboard I'll get so it might still be a tight fit.

I'll probably get an Asus motherboard once the 9th generation chips come out and the also Z390 chipset.

Up top is the way to go, regardless of motherboard. And I can't imagine there will be any problems at all fitting it up top.

Although I put mine up front for now, having done it, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. Just too tight a fit.

I'm rapidly switching over to a full custom loop for cooling (as you can see from the photos above, I already have the waterblocks for the two graphics cards).

Up top is the way to go, regardless of motherboard. And I can't imagine there will be any problems at all fitting it up top.

Although I put mine up front for now, having done it, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. Just too tight a fit.

I'm rapidly switching over to a full custom loop for cooling (as you can see from the photos above, I already have the waterblocks for the two graphics cards).

What kind of pump are you getting for the graphics card's cooling loop?

What kind of pump are you getting for the graphics card's cooling loop?

The short answer is that I don't yet know; I'm still researching it. Leaning towards one or two D5s at the moment, not sure about brand.

This is my first custom loop, so I'm learning as I go along. I haven't yet decided between a single loop or dual loops. But there will be 4 rads plus 3-4 blocks (depending on if I go monoblock or separate VRM block).

My understanding is that the blocks are were the flow is inhibited some and that flow through the rads isn't really a factor (other than just the overall length of the loop). So I don't yet know if, in a single loop, I need more than a single D5, or if the lower head pressure of a D5 isn't sufficient for the likely loop length I'll have.

So yeah; I still have more reading to do before I settle on pumps (or rads, tubing, or fittings).

The short answer is that I don't yet know; I'm still researching it. Leaning towards one or two D5s at the moment, not sure about brand.

This is my first custom loop, so I'm learning as I go along. I haven't yet decided between a single loop or dual loops. But there will be 4 rads plus 3-4 blocks (depending on if I go monoblock or separate VRM block).

My understanding is that the blocks are were the flow is inhibited some and that flow through the rads isn't really a factor (other than just the overall length of the loop). So I don't yet know if, in a single loop, I need more than a single D5, or if the lower head pressure of a D5 isn't sufficient for the likely loop length I'll have.

So yeah; I still have more reading to do before I settle on pumps (or rads, tubing, or fittings).

Informative reply right there!!.. glad to have you amongst us dude :)

Archived