Corsair Community

H115i PRO RGB - strange sounds/pump failure

demonox

Hello,

I've been using my H115i PRO for the past month but few days ago I noticed some strange sounds coming out of my pc. Do you think it's dead/broken pump or something else? Only moving parts in my pc are fans and pump.

[ame]

[/ame]

I don't hear much of anything in the video, but if you had a broken or dead pump you would have found out in about 20 seconds as the PC shutdown with a thermal warning. It's running. If you are concerned there is a mechanical problem, keep an eye on the pump RPM. In iCUE you can look at long stretches fairly easily. Large drops of several hundred RPM would be concerning. However, this is not the same as the customary +-30RPM you see all the time. That is the multiplication effect of predicting the number of revolutions per minute over a smaller time frame, like 2 seconds. A genuine pump drop may also have a spike in coolant temp that occurs at the same time.

00:02, 00:07, 00:13 You can clearly hear some strange and irregular sounds.

Pump seems to be stable, however I've noticed that problem occurs when pump reduces its rpm after finishing heavy load.

Hi Buddy..

The Pump doesn't alter its speed it's self... you can set a preset speed in iCue/Link.,, the Fans will alter in speed depending on the curve/source you are using.

I cranked it way up and can hear some kind of very quick flutter that lasts a fraction of a second. When this happens, does it show up as a large RPM drop in iCUE/Link?

Bad mechanicals are usually rather consistent as opposed to random. My hunch is you may have a few bubbles causing this. The easy fix attempt is to tilt the case on its side (45 deg may be enough) while the pump is running and see if they work themselves out. You may need to let it run for a few minutes that way. You can also take the cooler out, shake it, reinstall and that typically does it. However, that requires a re-paste and well... not even slightly scientific or controllable. Try the tilt/rocking first.

Archived