Here are the specs of my newly built system:

Asus P5K Deluxe

E6420/Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme

Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX 4GB

Quadro FX 4600

2 WD 500GB HD

Asus DRW-1814BLT DVDRW

floppy drive

Antec Solo case and Scythe fans (2x100mm intake, 120mm exhaust, 120mm CPU)

And a rather annoying HX620 PSU

I'm just testing my system right now, and it's reasonably quiet except for the high-pitched squeal/hum coming from the PSU when the system is under high load, as when running the rthdribl demo (high graphic load) or at certain times while running Orthos for CPU stress-testing. There's no noise when the system isn't being stressed. It's definitely not fan noise.

It doesn't matter whether the system is overclocked or run fully stock, whether it's connected to a SmartUPS 1500 or directly to the wall outlet, and whether the video card has one rail all to itself or shared with other components.

I am really wary about having to take apart the computer and ship back my brand new PSU (purchased almost 4 weeks ago) at my cost, only to get a refurbished PSU that still makes noise. I would like to know if it's normal for the HX620 to hum/buzz under high load, or if mine should be RMA'ed. Thanks.

• Corsair Employee

You would need to talk to our customer service, but you can ask your reseller and see if they offer that for you.

But are you sure these noises are not coming from somewhere else in your system?

I don't know whether the PSU is causing or amplifying the noises, but yes, they're definitely emanating from the PSU. I will have to see if I can find a different videocard to test.

I've attached a sound file. At the beginning of the file, I launch the rthdribl demo, and then click on the window repeatedly to temporarily pause it (eliminating the load, which is verified by the Smart-UPS). Then I launch the first test in 3dmark03 to demonstrate the crazy musical that ensues.

The microphone was placed up against the back of the PSU.

These tests just stress the graphics card, but the PSU squeals when just the CPU is stressed as well, as it happens during certain points while running Orthos.

hx620_noise.zip

I received my warranty replacement, and it exhibits the exact same behaviour, so I can only assume that the HX620 is unsuitable for the P5K Deluxe motherboard, or it is of substandard quality (maybe it underwent a hardware revision with cheaper parts?).

I tested the replacement PSU outside of the case, which leaves no question that all the noises are coming from the power supply. It makes exactly the same noises as the original purchased unit, as recorded in the attached sound file in this thread.

My only recourse now is to sell the power supply and hope that the buyer doesn't experience the same problem, and purchase a different brand for myself, unless I was incredibly unlucky and got two subpar units.

I've built dozens of computers over the years, so I don't think I've overlooked anything in this latest build. Everything is connected as it should be and works fine. I will report back with a different branded PSU and see what's up.

Of course, if I hear similar noises with a different brand of PSU, then that will confirm that the source is something other than the PSU, which is why I will report back with my findings to clear up this issue.

I already stated in my first post that I'm using a Smart-UPS 1500, and that I've tried plugging the PSU directly into the wall. I also tried other outlets.

Basically, I've tried everything.

I've since read other reports of people having the same problem with the HX620, and that there might be a "bad batch".

Now I'm having a hard time finding another PSU to replace this one. Corsair put together such an amazing product in terms of performance, features, and value, and the customer service is among the best (if I can get my COD charge refunded for receiving the warranty replacement. I had to pay COD to UPS in Canada because the package was regarded as a new item as there was no indication it was a replacement).

• Corsair Employee
I have seen a few people stating this problem, but again we have not been able to confirm in in the LAB and have not duplicated the problem. So that would suggest its some combination of your hardware and I think you or someone else who had this issue stated they had the same issue with another make of PSU. But we will keep trying to find the problem if its our PSU we will take care of it.

I bought another PSU in the same quality tier according to jonnyguru.com, and the problem has basically been solved. The new PSU makes some of the sounds that the HX620 did in 3mark03, but they're virtually inaudible now, and it didn't produce the low frequency hum in the Intel TAT workload test at 60% load. There might be an extremely high frequency sound being emitted during the rthdribl demo, but it is also virtually inaudible, and I'm not sure it's not just my imagination.

I spent twice as much as I did on the HX620, and I much prefer the look and cabling of the HX620, but the noise of the HX620 was unbearable. Since both HX620s I tested behaved exactly the same, my RMA'ed unit is apparently not defective, and just operates loudly in my situation.

I am really disappointed in Corsair's email communication.

I sent an email about the COD fee I was charged on the Friday I received the RMA replacement, and forwarded it to a different department on the following Tuesday. I finally got my first response today. But the response was merely the tracking number of the RMA! That's it.

I know the RMA was delivered. That's why I paid a COD fee! Did they even read my email?

I could've refused the package, delayed the RMA, and wasted the resources of both UPS and Corsair. Instead, I chose to pay the fee with confidence that Corsair would reimburse me for mistakenly sending the package without any indication on the box that it was a warranty replacement and not a new purchase.

Such a reply is insulting.

• Corsair Employee

Tony

Your last email was received and forwarded but there is no comments.

CSG would have just checked the shipping information and saw that we sent the module and you got them. You should send the email again and ask them what you are wanting to ask them.

Please send the email to rma@corsairmemory.com and CC it to Ramguy@corsairmemory.com and I will forward it to a supervisor.

Archived