Corsair Community

Lapdog First Impressions

Since we just announced the Lapdog at Computex, we're trying to gather impressions and feedback.

So far we've been getting good reception on the Lapdog, since many liked the idea for living room PC gaming. We're also getting lots of great constructive feedback as well, such as lack of left-handed mouse support and lack of a wireless solution.

Please tell us about your early impressions, such as what you like and what you would like us to improve.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, constructive feedback.

My english aint perfect but you will understand.

I am playing on couch for quite long time. Now I am having 65" 4K TV + my own made lapdog.

Pictures, (3 months old, now my setup slightly change, will make new pictures soon)

TV: http://imgur.com/3pm6sWc

TV+lapdog: http://i.imgur.com/3qmFtX1.jpg

I bought something like that: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyondfashion-Portable-Folding-Computer-Shipping/dp/B00P2FSX52/ref=sr_1_69?ie=UTF8&qid=1434360903&sr=8-69&keywords=laptop+desk

By double sticky tape I put keyboard and mouse pad.

My ideas after a long time using it:

-you have to remember that when u sit on the couch and u put lapdog on your legs it wont lay flat, it will be bit curved,

-mouse wire has to be thin otherwise thick lead (g700 kind) will be not comfortable to use (you feel like ur mouse fight with you, push u towards way u dont want)

-mouse has to be on some kind of bungee, otherwise when u dont touch u mouse and u write something on the keyboard mouse start to sliping off the board. (seen same problem on your videos from computex),

-ur mouse pad is bit too small,

-it has to be keyboard without NUMPAD otherwise it will be too big,

-there has to be WIRELESS option, I hate when I sit with my "lapdog" then I unfortunately by my legs unplug wire,

-you have to put there some 10,20k mah battery power bank. You can connect to that battery bank your keyboard and mouse. That battery bank has to be big enough for at least 20h use,

-when you use ur WIRELESS lapdog during the day u take power for mouse and keyboard from battery bank. then for night u plug it and charge it up.

-best if the battery bank will be replaceable,

-bottom cushions of the lapdog have to be soft and good made to do not wear off,

-make it slim kind of roccat sova, after gaming I like to put my "lapdog" under the sofa or coffe table. That has to be slim to keep living room nice with this lapdog under the sofa,

-mouse pad best to move bit right and bit left to adjust it,

-works wireless as I said before, bluetooth stick into computer that communicate to lapdog, power cord only.

-best to have some USBHUB,

edit.

best to have some legs that would come out of the lapdog. They will go towards cushion that u sit on. Then u can keep lapdog slighlty above ur legs and when u mooving that mouse wont be sliping off the board (that is some idea)

This is it so far

-you have to remember that when u sit on the couch and u put lapdog on your legs it wont lay flat, it will be bit curved,

The way we have the cushion now, it is curved in a way that it comfortably sits on your lap.

-mouse has to be on some kind of bungee, otherwise when u dont touch u mouse and u write something on the keyboard mouse start to sliping off the board. (seen same problem on your videos from computex),

We do have a "mouse cord guide" which is similar to bungee in the sense that it holds the cord in place so that it doesn't slip off

-ur mouse pad is bit too small,

Yes, we agree and we will be working on increasing the mouse mat

-there has to be WIRELESS option, I hate when I sit with my "lapdog" then I unfortunately by my legs unplug wire,

-you have to put there some 10,20k mah battery power bank. You can connect to that battery bank your keyboard and mouse. That battery bank has to be big enough for at least 20h use,

-when you use ur WIRELESS lapdog during the day u take power for mouse and keyboard from battery bank. then for night u plug it and charge it up.

-best if the battery bank will be replaceable,

This was brought up to our attention during Computex... we understand that there is a demand for a wireless solution but at the same time we are concerned that it would cause latency issues for those who are hardcore gaming. We will look into it some more.

-bottom cushions of the lapdog have to be soft and good made to do not wear off,

It currently uses a soft foam for the cushion.

-make it slim kind of roccat sova, after gaming I like to put my "lapdog" under the sofa or coffe table. That has to be slim to keep living room nice with this lapdog under the sofa,

Noted.

-best to have some USBHUB,

Currently, on Lapdog there are 4 USB ports and a charging port for phones. Meaning there should be enough ports for mouse, keyboard, USB headset, another USB device and your phone.

Thank you for input.

• 1 month later...
need support in front of the keyboard or your hand will just have to hover and that would be extremely uncomfortable

Thanks for the feedback Rooslin. We hear you regarding the lack of wrist support and it'll be something that we'll be working on for the finished product.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hyncharas:

No

Q1 = Jan Feb Mar

Q2 = Apr May Jun

Q3 = Jul Aug Sep

Q4 = Oct Nov Dec

But I guess Lapdog and Bulldog got severly delayed due to the N980 problems, guess we wont see any Lapdog or Bulldog before Q2 2016. I suspect its the same people working on Lapdog/Bulldog, as who worked on N980, so if N980 gets more delayed, Lapdog/Bulldog will get more delayed aswell as they are in queue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello gentlemen of Corsair,

My wife and I both play strictly in our living room on seperate couches/televisions. We both struggle with the discomfort of using a desk tray (hard wood) with no cushioning other than couch pillows thrown under them to elevate the board off our legs.

So we were both excited to see that our favorite manufacturer has started this product line. We desperately need these in our lives.

I would like to re-enforce the point that Aze007 made about wireless capacity as that is almost necessary for couples with children. Especially for my wife and I having 3 kids under the age of 7. It is the reason I do run wireless gaming grade peripherals. However with that being said I believe we could still manage to make this work with just the one cable needed for connection and just connect the wireless devices to the lapdog.

Also Rooslin has a great point about wrist/arm support which although isn't a deal breaker due to the fact we can easily slide a pillow under our arm/wrist area for that required support over those long periods of gaming.

All-in-all we love the design, the aesthetics, and simply having another Corsair product to help complete our seperate, sleek, clean Corsair based pc builds and show that Corsair Badge proudly. Although my wife wins over me in terms of Corsair build appeal, due to my small 250D case and hers being the bigger, more eye candy(ish) 750D.

So, TL;DR right? Apologies, I just wanted to give a little insight into our situation with living room gaming as a married couple with children.

One question I do have:

Are there tester units of the lapdog you guys can ship to people to try and then send back since we may still have a while for a final release version?

We would love to get our hands on one (or two).

*edit* I just thought of a simple solution for the corded lapdog if that may turn out to be the only option.

Use a breakaway cable. Incase they are tripped over, etc. you minimize the risk of port damage.

Please disregard this if that is already a feature.

20151220_172536-1.thumb.jpg.a88ce3f897ea73b2e3c0f3e2ffc76359.jpg

Hi Chris ! I love Corsair products ! I own a K70 RGB and i have to say that i couldn't choose any other keyboard !

I have a question for the Lapdog . Can you guys add a few inches to the part where you put you'r wrist ? I was thinking about it and because you are going to put that thing on you'r lap and not on a desk you would have to hold the wrist in the air for the whole time . It is something important .

• 2 months later...

Now the engineering of this wouldn't be easy and still have a structurally sound product but might I suggest looking at some adjustability of the lapdog? To be able to accommodate your various keyboards as well as the varying size of people's laps? The first certainly you can do and the later would have to be as best as you can do understandably.

That is really my only concern from looking at it and I'm interested in it but if the keyboard I just ordered won't sit well on it then it is little use to me.

Slim to be able to slide under a couch is a nice consideration but I'd NEVER put my keyboard under my couch anyways (have you seen the size of dust bunnies under a couch? :P )

Wireless again would be nice for quite a few people I'm sure but you are right that as a gamer I don't use wireless anything anymore. I even have a Vengence headset and don't use it because that battery inevitably needs recharged at the wrong times. Not corsair's fault at all :p So wireless option or not for me doesn't matter but if you can work it in I think it would be a good OPTION for it's use as far as expanding the market for it and that helps to keep the product going for even those of us that wouldn't use the wireless option.

Mouse pad size is important and I'd add could you look at a hard mouse pad option? Something that could be easily replaced for at most $15 USD? or even two options one cloth one hard? In each case an easily replaced component for a competitive price to normal pads. I know some of the hard pads go for $50 or more (I've used them) but instead of trying to have it be one that is going to last for 3 years of heavy use look at 1 year and easily replaceable because eventually it is going to have to be replaced and I would expect that like myself most people are not going to be happy if they have to replace the whole lapdog simply because of wearing down the center of the mouse pad some.

Really about all of the criticism for the product it's self that I could see looking at it. A product I'm definitely watching.

Now as far as the marketing images you have out for it already. Maybe I've just not seen one but some shots with people using the lapdog with their feet up instead of flat on the floor in front of them would be a good idea. The suggestion of some palm rest made me think about this: Will I even need a palm rest with how I plan on using it? Chilled back on a futon with my legs up already so my arms aren't even going to be at that 90 degree angle and the lapdog isn't going to be below my chest so much? Be nice to see how it plays in being used like that both with and without any additional sort of palm rest.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry Corsair, this won't be a good review of the Lapdog, but it needs said.

I really wanted this product to work, especially since the layout of my room changes frequently with need and I like to use my PCs from a reclined position and in theory the Bulldog should have pulled this off. The product's overall build quality is excellent and sturdy and I can see it lasting a good while, and the way the keyboard fits just feels right. Also works great with mice that use a wireless dongle since it can plug in internally. The addition of USB ports on the side was pure brilliance for things like headphone dongles or USB drives not to mention charging devices (like said wireless mouse). And personally I think with the K70 Lux installed it looks excellent!

However, unfortunately, the good ends here because the Lapdog has some serious design flaws that made the device unusable and I ended up returning mine. First, the mouse-pad is slippery with every kind of mouse I tried making it guaranteed to fall off if at any sort of angle (and if you are using the Lapdog, it's not likely to be level all the time). Secondly, the entire lapdog falls off the memory foam component making the concept fall apart (literally), there isn't much point if the device falls on the floor. Lastly, the lack of any sort of wrist wrest or cushioning was a very bad move. The lack of wrist cushioning exposes you to very sharp edges which even if they were not sharp are extremely uncomfortable (and can even result in pushing the Lapdog off the memory foam, again). Taking a wooden board and having your keyboard and mouse sit on it is a better solution (not an exaggeration, actually is, but don't forget to use a maximum control style mousepad with it).

EDIT: I neglected to mention I got some painful marks on my wrists from just a few minutes of use of this product, I could see a serious injury (such as slit wrists) caused by this flaw.

I know this was a bit hard on Corsair, but this is since I expect quality products from them and this seriously fell short. This feels extremely first generation and a bit experimental overall. To make it worse, none of these issues should have made it past quality control or any sort of basic pre-production testing.

I really want to see a second gen of this where these issues would be resolved. I would be first in line for one that addresses these issues! However, I'm sad to say that nobody should buy this product as it currently is. I would say I am the target audience for this, and I've wanted a solution for this for years. Did Corsair need this product so soon for Computex they rushed it through and ended up with a flawed production model? I wonder. Please make a fixed one Corsair, they will sell, believe me.

• 4 weeks later...

Some suggestions (excuse my aggressive style, just take the good hints and forget about the rest) :

K-series CUE "black rainbow" has an unholylooking impure white backlightingilllumination instead of the old blue-phoshor-white, deflected from a toppanel that went from reflective delorean style gunpowder silver to an absorbent substractive dead black toppanel , almost every longer review on the internet does lament the former.

Anyways, this is Cherrys not Corsairs fault

Also, for those wanting to use the K65 spacer as Mousepad-area, beware :There are no less than 3 or 4 versions of the compact k65 keyboard with varying Switchcolours and usb-passthrough Hubs, which also could be consolidated to a "K-Series standard usbportlayout"(see my bottom Ascii-Art-essay on usb-c keyboards).

This is why Corsair lapdog sales suffer :(current Keyboard-Usb-powersupply and rgb-CUE powerhungers fault)

As long as your left lower Arm has full Angle-stiff contact (meaning more than 1 contactpoint/ restaxis) , you will not need a Wristrest and comfort is on par with the rather narrow "rococo couch", but this is only possible in parrallel leg position which will get uncomfortable in time. Any deviation from perfect posture will make typing a nuisance and herein lies the problem because this is not actual comfort.

1. A makeshift solution with wristrest:

So here is the advice for the customers owning the normal current lapdog (though the solution is lackluster ergonomically):

The current kleyboards wristrests` primary interface with the plain standard Corsair keyboards needs to be cut off to do this Mod. The modular concept will never be Mass-compatible, just a "Bricolage"for Amateurs.

As the lapdog left lower corner metal L-Frame panel is not removable as the screws suggested and is not easily replaced by a custom Aluminium sheet Wristrest, here is a possible answer (ESSENTIAL : please click the coloured textrows one after another for the linked pictures):

The endresult should look like this:

Since the 2mm deep Thread in Aluminiumsheet will not hold for long,

You should probably use Skrews for Plasticthreads

or even better go buy a blind Rivet clamp

for a fixed solution

These will hold without having to buy a Threadcutter

You will have to remove these leaf-spring-like supports on the wristress` bottom

The wristrests are available as replacementpart for 13 Euro at Corsair Homepage

- just cut off the surplus profile length with a saw

The ergonomic frontal wedge-edge of the current keyboards and the frontal edge of the Lapdog would need a common shape and Angle for a standard modular solution, therefore a change from clip-in leafsprings to "screwed" or "clicked" or still better, telescopic profile with click would still be an amelioration in pre-usb-c times but time has run out on usb1/2/3.

Also, an wristrest intergral to the L-shaped toppanel in the lapdogs lower left corner would not look straight and break the line of the design.

2. ergonomic Redesign:

Using a horizontal slit in the backside beneath the mousepad running its width instead of the old Lapdog prototype articulated vertical Mousecableholder design with the cable stowed beneath the mousepad, the K-series standard corsairkeyboards would just need an own cablechannel in the keyboardunderside http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/page-en/ducky-one/img/Ducky_One_15.jpg and shifting the keyboardlayoutposition up the natural lapboard wristrest would be saved. On a sidenote, a double usb passthrough hub (one middle back and another side top ) to switch master and slave is not feasible with usb1,2,3,c and can be counted out.

• 3 weeks later...
I was really excited about this product as I absolutely love love love my K70s, and needed something for working in the living room. I have to say, using it the previous couple of evenings has been tough. The sharp machined edges are digging into my wrists and are really quite painful -- have you at Corsair actually used this thing? What do you do to prevent this? I'm trying to figure out a solution to this -- I've thought of running a couple of layers of masking tape over it. I wistfully flip the Lapdog around and rest my wrists on the cable storage area -- ahhh. But, alas, I can't insert the K70 that way, and I'm a righty. There's got to be a reason there's no wrist rest. Am I doing it wrong? Is there another product I can buy? I see there are some gloves out there that might work.

Archived