Corsair Community

H100 - one fan failed another runs on full speed

Geeengstaaa

Hi All,

The story is - I have been with H100 starting from 30th of JAnuary, 2015.

Initially results were not so impressive - around 90C with 100% load.

Since changes termopaste, case (Corsair 300R with 5 chasis fans) and still had around 85C top.

Issue happened today - corsair block`s LED stopped lighting, one of the fans stoped working (sudenly stops or spins in wrong dirrection), second fan works on full speed (very loud).

Tried to reset firmware - LED light returned, but fans behavior remains and didn`t react on profiles changes.

Checked first fan on other connection (chas_fan2) and it also didn`t work - so conclusion that first fan is break.

I`ve purchased 2 new fans -

H.E.C. Cougar CFV12HPB 120mm Hydro Dynamic Bearing Case Fan (http://www.microcenter.com/product/404994/Cougar_CFV12HPB_120mm_Hydro_Dynamic_Bearing_Case_Fan)

Installed them and connected to CPU_FAN1 to control speed.

Based on specs that have a good perfomance and air pressure (around 70)

As result I have 90C within PRIME95 testing (fans speening around 1600 rpm).

So what may be a problem? H100 pump or software?

As for RMA - I got H100 from eBay and lost box during movement. As a proof of purchase have PayPal transaction and ebay records. Will it work?

Item was new and not-opened.

Still dreaming to get 70C as max temperature with 100% load.

CPU - Intel I-5 4690K (4.5 Ghz)

Will appreciate any advise,

Thanks,

Prime95 is always going to give you obscenely high temperatures on that processor and is strongly recommended against. Did you manually configure the voltage or just set the processor to 4.5GHz in BIOS and let it choose the voltage?

Thanks for reply.

I used UEFI profile to get it to 4.5 Ghz, no manual manipulation.

So what is etalon test to double check - do I have issue with my H100 or not?

Any suggestion on my RMA question? To get new fans, block, etc?

Thanks,

• Corsair Employee

It's entirely possible the UEFI is dumping an excessive amount of voltage into the CPU to get that speed, which is why your temps are as high as they are.

You need to manually tune the voltage instead of letting the UEFI define it, as it always dumps more voltage into the chip than is actually needed.

It's entirely possible the UEFI is dumping an excessive amount of voltage into the CPU to get that speed, which is why your temps are as high as they are.

You need to manually tune the voltage instead of letting the UEFI define it, as it always dumps more voltage into the chip than is actually needed.

Thanks for advice,

I had a chance to achieve 4.5Ghz overclock with 1.19 voltage, with temperature 70 maximum.

I believe it is because I changed thermal compound for crystal, and for CPU cover as well.

Archived