Corsair Community

Detecting Dram Size

memmedli.togrul

Hi. I have problem. When i switch on my pc i see this message: DETECTING DRAM SIZE. then it is restarting. It happens 3 times. Then it works. And on properties i see that Installing memory: 24GB (16Gb usable)

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.ASSASSIN

Intel i7-990x

Ram: Corsair CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 6X4GB=24GB

I changed setting on BIOS still not working.(XMP, voltage...)

memmedli.togrul

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS for your Mb. If not please flash to the latest version.

Then clear the BIOS and enable XMP and let me know what the the DIMM voltage and QPI voltage is being set to.

My gutt feeling is that it is just a voltage adjustment that should clear things up. With the first gen I7 you may have to run the memory at between 1.6 and 1.65v even though those modules are rated at 1.5v

With that said I would go ahead and enable the XMP profile and then manually set the DIMM voltage to 1.6v and be sure your QPI voltage is set to 1.35v. and see if this clears things up for you.

If not then i would start testing the modules just to be sure one of them is not failing.

Use memtest86+ (there is a link on the left for it) and test each stick individually in the first slot. Let each stick run for about 3 passes each or until you get an error.

If they all pass in the first slot, then take a known good stick and test the remaining slots in the M in the same fashion to be sure it's not a slot issue.

I don't believe you will need to do this, i believe a voltage adjustment will fix things for you.

EDIT: I noticedd you are using two 12 gig kits for a total of 24 gigs. Corsair does not recommend mixing/combing kits because it can be hit or miss at best. Before going through all of the above steps, i would isolate the two kits and see if they will run they way they should on their own. If they do then i would try the voltage adjustments as described above, but there is a possibility there may be nothing you can do to get them to run together. In order for Corsair to guarantee correct operation and rated speeds all your memory must come from one single tested kit. You should have bought one 24 gig kit instead of 2 12 gig kits.

Also with two kits you may also try setting them to 1333mhz instead of 1600mhz to see if they will run together that way

I did all. But testing each slot with one stick gives me some error.

Before this all things happened. Aproximately 1 year ago. But its solved magicially :) But i removed rams and put another pc. Then when i Want to put to this machine again it gives me same error that i met it before. Even i opened thread in here before. But nobody could solve it.

• 5 years later...
memmedli.togrul

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS for your Mb. If not please flash to the latest version.

Then clear the BIOS and enable XMP and let me know what the the DIMM voltage and QPI voltage is being set to.

My gutt feeling is that it is just a voltage adjustment that should clear things up. With the first gen I7 you may have to run the memory at between 1.6 and 1.65v even though those modules are rated at 1.5v

With that said I would go ahead and enable the XMP profile and then manually set the DIMM voltage to 1.6v and be sure your QPI voltage is set to 1.35v. and see if this clears things up for you.

If not then i would start testing the modules just to be sure one of them is not failing.

Use memtest86+ (there is a link on the left for it) and test each stick individually in the first slot. Let each stick run for about 3 passes each or until you get an error.

If they all pass in the first slot, then take a known good stick and test the remaining slots in the M in the same fashion to be sure it's not a slot issue.

I don't believe you will need to do this, i believe a voltage adjustment will fix things for you.

EDIT: I noticedd you are using two 12 gig kits for a total of 24 gigs. Corsair does not recommend mixing/combing kits because it can be hit or miss at best. Before going through all of the above steps, i would isolate the two kits and see if they will run they way they should on their own. If they do then i would try the voltage adjustments as described above, but there is a possibility there may be nothing you can do to get them to run together. In order for Corsair to guarantee correct operation and rated speeds all your memory must come from one single tested kit. You should have bought one 24 gig kit instead of 2 12 gig kits.

Also with two kits you may also try setting them to 1333mhz instead of 1600mhz to see if they will run together that way

I have the same issue. Gigabyte MB, Corsair CMZ24GX3M6A1600C9. I have tried everything. Verified memory, checked CPU pins, ran Intel diagnostics, and numerous BIOS changes. I tried your voltage recommendation, but that did not help. I have noted something that may offer a clue. When I changed Memory Performance Enhance from Turbo to Extreme, the system booted normally. But only once, next boot started the Detecting DRAM Size routine again. I had the same experience when I enabled Quick Boot. One normal boot only.

I am inclined to think there is a CPU or chip set flaw with the X58 boards.

Archived