The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2019, 03:23 PM
Contiusa's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1001650
Contiusa Reputation: 10
Default 12 pin CPU power on a RM750. What to do?

Hi guys, my motherboard has a 12 pin CPU power connector (Z390 UD). I will overclock my i5-9600K to near 5Ghz (custom loop). But my PSU (RM750) has only an 8 pin connector.

Does Corsair offer any kind of extension (I saw some individual connectors for sale) or do I need a new PSU?

From what I saw, Corsair does not have any 650/750W PSU with 12 pin CPU connectors (which is strange, since nowadays 750W is almost overkill for a regular gaming rig). I won’t buy a 850W plus PSU because my consumption will never reach the point to spin the fan and the PSU heats up my case, as it does now with the RM750, that won’t get to the point of spinning the fan but gets fairly hot inside the case - never really understood the quiet fan feature if it means heat up the case.

So I rather be with a 750W PSU (I just have one GPU and it is unlikely for me to have a Titan or any sort of similar card).

I've seen posts about the EVGA units, but I rather stick with Corsair or Seasonic (I know that Corsair has several Seasonic units as OEM).

I appreciate any feedback.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:45 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1001653
DevBiker Reputation: 83

That PSU has 3 connections for PCIe -or- CPU. Depending on the power needs of your GPU, you can get just one more CPU power cable and use that.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:37 AM
Contiusa's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1001742

Cool, thanks, I found the cable at Aliexpress (for the RM series) and ordered it. I still have one PCIe / CPU connection left to use.

Regards,

Old 04-17-2019, 04:42 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair Notepad's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1001786
Corsair Notepad Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contiusa View Post
Cool, thanks, I found the cable at Aliexpress (for the RM series) and ordered it. I still have one PCIe / CPU connection left to use.

Regards,
I highly recommend against using any PSU cable purchased from Aliexpress in any PSU. You cannot guarantee that the cable is actually meant for the PSU in question and in doing so risk damaging the component you plug it into and even your whole computer. This would also void any warranty and therefore you would not be covered if you did indeed damage anything in your computer including the PSU.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:05 PM
Contiusa's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1002045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Notepad View Post
I highly recommend against using any PSU cable purchased from Aliexpress in any PSU. You cannot guarantee that the cable is actually meant for the PSU in question and in doing so risk damaging the component you plug it into and even your whole computer. This would also void any warranty and therefore you would not be covered if you did indeed damage anything in your computer including the PSU.
The problem is, I only found the cable in local US stores. Not even on Amazon. The cable that I bought was also available on e-Bay. The same vendor has cables for the RMX series (or some other model).

Do you know any vendor who ships it to Brazil? Corsair's site was asking me an US and Canada address only IIRC.

I incur in the risk, but after buying products from Aliexpress for years, what I see is that many of them are just OEMs from known brands (nowadays almost everything comes from China, Taiwan and such). I just bought a rad that seems to be the OEM of EK (double fins, which is not common). In fact I like Aliexpress more than e-Bay - way better tracking system / paying system.

I could try and contact Corsair Brazil, but I have a sense they won't order the cable and sell it to me. Am I right? Or it is common for local Corsair support to order and sell these things?

Last edited by Contiusa; 04-20-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:46 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 1002241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contiusa View Post
The problem is, I only found the cable in local US stores. Not even on Amazon. The cable that I bought was also available on e-Bay. The same vendor has cables for the RMX series (or some other model).

Do you know any vendor who ships it to Brazil? Corsair's site was asking me an US and Canada address only IIRC.

I incur in the risk, but after buying products from Aliexpress for years, what I see is that many of them are just OEMs from known brands (nowadays almost everything comes from China, Taiwan and such). I just bought a rad that seems to be the OEM of EK (double fins, which is not common). In fact I like Aliexpress more than e-Bay - way better tracking system / paying system.

I could try and contact Corsair Brazil, but I have a sense they won't order the cable and sell it to me. Am I right? Or it is common for local Corsair support to order and sell these things?
At the very least I would recommend you reach out to the Brazil Support team and see what they can do to help you. suportecorsair.com

Old 04-24-2019, 04:38 PM
Contiusa's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1002454

I'll try to open a ticket just as a curiosity, but the cable I ordered is exactly the same as the original (same flat black cable, same connectors). It is not a custom / braided cable, so I tend to think it is the same OEM that Corsair and other brands uses. Of course I’ll compare both cables when it arrives.

Let’s see.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:18 AM

POST ID # = 1004624
gato011 Reputation: 10

I have the same problem, which cable did you buy?

Old 05-15-2019, 02:00 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 1004674

If you guys purchase cables from a third party such as AliExpress you cannot be guaranteed to be getting a cable that is compatible with your power supply. Even if they look the same the cable could be a completely different pinout or using the wrong type of wiring which WILL damage your components. If this happens you are not covered by any warranty and will be out the cost of replacing your damaged parts.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:39 PM

POST ID # = 1004678
gato011 Reputation: 10

There is a cable of corsair for this problem?

Old 05-15-2019, 03:40 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1004688
DevBiker Reputation: 83

Look on Corsair.com. They have all of the cables available in packs or individually.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.