Corsair Community

H110 Leaking?

kzinti1

As I was assembling the mount for my new cooler, I noticed a few drops of some thick green goo at the connection between the hose and pump module.

Is this normal and should I ignore it and go ahead and install it?

Or, is this an indication of things to come and the coolant will start spewing out after I power it up?

My 1st reaction is to immediately return it for an exchange from where I bought it. That will, of course, take a while.

I'd really like to get this build going.

I've already gone through too much hassle with my new 900D and its missing parts box. Which was finally sent to me, thanks to the RamGuy's help.

If it wasn't for him, I have no doubt that I'd still be without those parts.

The funny thing about this is, I bought the H110 to test new motherboards while still in the 30 day return time frame.

Now the cooler I bought as a testing item is immediately untrustworthy.

2013 has been an awful, terrible year for me in all respects. Especially with my computers.

I wish it would just go away. Sooner than later.

I don't own any kind of camera. Never have.

It's just a few drops of thick green goo around the interface of the hoses and pump body. It looks like radiator fluid but much, much thicker in viscosity. More dense than Elmer's glue.

I was hoping it may be some kind of sealant Corsair slopped around the end of the tubes.

More bad news. I tried the fan screws in the radiator. Only 4 of the 16 screw holes will accept a screw.

More than likely the tap Corsair used was worn out and needed replacement.

Quite an easy job replacing the tap in an automatic machine. If you pay attention to what you're doing, Corsair.

Now, I get to go to Lowe's hardware and buy a single tap and re-cut the threads. Single taps are Godawful expensive and the el-cheapo's aren't worth bringing home.

Slightly good news. If your Corsair case came with extra fan screws, they fit the radiator of an H110 and any other that use 6-32 x 1.25" screws.

The only difference is flat heads, rather than rounded heads as come with the radiator kit. Doesn't matter at all, but you still have to use washers.

If you don't, the end of the screws will sit flush with the radiator fins, if you're lucky.

Never over tighten radiator screws!

Why radiator manufacturers don't just cut a simple countersink in the fins, just under the mounting holes, I'll never know.

Alphacool is the only company I know of that uses a thin, narrow metal rim, at the proper depth under their radiators mounting holes, so you simply can't harm the fins if you try to over tighten the screws.

Alphacool parts are what I'm using on this build, after I test the motherboard with the H110. I already have all the blocks, pumps & fittings and just need radiators.

It's just a few drops of thick green goo around the interface of the hoses and pump body.

Yes, that would be a leak. Best to stop using it immediately before you damage anything.

Why radiator manufacturers don't just cut a simple countersink in the fins, just under the mounting holes, I'll never know.

They do sort of. Most of them position the screws over the fins and not the tubes. Bending a few fins won't hurt them because the water flows through the tubes. Even if the fins get a little bent it does nothing to hamper performance.

Thanks peanutz94. I did as you said.

I've already received an e-mail that the new one will arrive within 12 hours and also pick up the leaky one up at the same time.

That's exactly the way a company should treat a customer that received a damaged item.

It took me a total of 10 minutes to get this RMA completely set up. I timed it starting when I clicked on "Return for Exchange." It usually doesn't take as long as this.

Their RMA dept. runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. All of this through the web. No phone calls necessary.

Unlike some companies that use a buggy RMA interface, contact you at their leisure (or don't contact you at all), request pictures showing the defect, a complete troubleshooting session, full explanation of the defect and then send you a used-refurbished replacement (if at all) which may or may not have actually been refurbished.

The company I use shows the utmost courtesy, doesn't question you about a defective item and above all, trusts you when you say an item was broken when it was originally sent to you, plus exchanges for a brand new item at zero 2 way shipping costs.

Who is the company that does all this? Think of a large South American river, since some sites actually won't let you name a competitor.

kzinti1, just to clear some thing up here. 99.9% of the time Corsair will ship a brand sealed unit. In the three years i have been helping out where i can only thin of one user who received a referbed unit...and that was a PSU

They would rather send out new units than take the chance!

AND there is no problem emtioning Amazon here. They are not a competitor, just a supplier. Besides they removed the filter here in the forums and as long as things don't get into long drawn out discussions over competitors products .

I'm glad your getting your replacement that fast , i just wanted to clear a couple of things up.

Cheers!

Archived