Corsair Community

I'm one of the lucky ones...Abit board and HX520

bonesdad

My system:

Abit IP35E topped by a Pentium Dual Core 2160 and 2gb Ballistix Ram.

Last week, I purchased an HX520 to replace an aging Seasonic 400W SuperTornado. The above motherboard, processor and memory was working great with the Seasonic PSU for over 2 weeks.

Last Friday, I got my new HX520. I disconnected the SuperTornado and plugged the HX520 into the motherboard. Turned the PC back on, everything spun up, but I got no video signal. No post beeps, nothing else. I now read several instances of others with the Abit P35 boards having very similar, if not identical, problems. Mine is a bit different. After I determined the HX520 was not going to work, I put my SuperTornado back into the system. It no longer works, actually, I think it works, but I get the same result now as I do with the HX520.

I'm not sure what happened, there were no events when I was installing, it just ceased to work. I now am in a position where I do not know what works and what doesn't. Do I have a bad PSU, a bad motherboard, a bad CPU, bad memory or even a bad video card?

I took the entire system apart to do a "box" test of the motherboard, with no luck. Shuffled memory around to no avail. I get the double boot, and everything that should light up, lights up and everything that should spin, spins.

Anyone help me with any new ideas? I have ordered some different memory from another manufacturer, that should be here Wednesday, if that doesn't work, I don't know what. Probably RMA the PSU and Motherboard and go with different manufacturers. ANY help is appreciated!!!

• Corsair Employee
If possible I would recommend testing the PSU on a known working system, however if both PSUs are giving you the same issues, then there is likely some other problem. If it turns out the PSU is causing the issues then let's get it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or “Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

My Abit IP35E and HX520 system will not post when the room temperature drops below 20C. The fan on the graphics card spins at max, but no video signal. I actually have to use a hairdryer into the chassis to get it going. The system also used to double-boot, but that was fixed with the latest beta bios from Abit.

Anyone else with the same problem? I hope someone can help finding out if this is a psu problem, motherboard problem or something else.

yah, I saw your post and tried that. I got a hot, non functioning motherboard out of it.

Got new sticks of 1.8V memory today, no difference. Both the board and the PSU are being returned. Going completely away from them. This has been the biggest disappointment of my 13 year PC building career. First problem I have not been able to overcome. Abit and Corsair aren't treating this very seriously...seems like all I hear is "only a small # of users with this problem, not a big problem." Well it is to me. I have few clients, but I won't be using those products again. Who knows where the problem lies...but I know it's either this motherboard or this PSU. Therefore, I won't be using either.

• Corsair Employee

We've seen this issue in a very small percentage of people with Abit IP35-based boards and any of our Seasonic-built PSUs. (VX450, HX series, TX650) but we haven't been able to duplicate it in our labs yet.

We've got a handfull of IP35 boards here, all of which work fine with the Seasonic-built PSUs so we can guarantee it's not a 100% failure rate. What we need to do is get a known-failed board, so we're buying one from a customer with that problem and we're going to test the known failed board next week and hopefully get the problem worked out.

FWIW, I have been coordinating with ABIT UK and our lab guys have been in touch with both the ABIT and Seasonic engineers. They have all had a sampling of PSUs from us for almost 2 weeks. NO ONE can duplicate this issue yet on an IP35 (Vanilla) IP35-E, or an IP35 PRO which is why we are buying a board from a customer. We are taking this issue seriously but, things just cannot happen over night. We'll let you guys know how it is going here, at Hexus/ABIT forums, and at the ABIT USA forums as soon as we have something.

OMG!! I just got an IP35-E today and I have an HX520 PSU and I am having the exact same problem as bonesdad!!! I made a thread at XS:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=164334

Please... someone help me! I really need to get this working and really as soon as possible! And I can't afford to replace anything if it's fried...

And I simply must have the HX520, it's the only PSU that is quiet and very high quality :(: :(:

I'm having the same problem described in the OP (when powered on, mobo spins up fans, then powers down for ~5 seconds. Repeat until power system power is cut). Abit IP35 Pro, Corsair HX 620. The one difference between my problem and the problem described by all of the other people with this problem is that in my case, resetting the CMOS will allow the system to boot normally. In fact, it will also occasionally reboot without problems and without a CMOS reset. Once the problem comes up, the only way to fix it is by resetting the CMOS, though.

My question is, should I get to work on RMAing the mobo or PSU? What are my odds of getting a new HX 620 that WILL work with my IP35 Pro if I RMA it? Both parts are new and can still be refunded (minus a restock fee that is probably nearly the same price as shipping the part for RMA), so I need to decide if I should RMA the PSU and get a replacement or just get the refund and get a different PSU that does not have these compatibility issues.:confused:

This is a difficult situation because to this point neither Corsair nor ABIT has determined the cause of the issue. However, we are currently only having this problem with the ABIT IP35 series. And, the vast majority users of the ABIT IP35 series have no issues at all. Even ABIT has done some testing and they cannot reproduce it with any of the 3 IP35 offerings. So, it's really up to you to decide which you would like to try to replace. We will gladly replace your PSU if you like.

• Corsair Employee
If you end up wanting to replace the PSU, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or “Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

• Corsair Employee
Power Guy: Have you received the board from the customer yet? Could you reproduce the problem?

I received the board this morning, and plugged it into 5 separate PSUs, 2 HX520s and 3 HX620s. I used three processors, an E6600, a Q6700, and a QX9850. During all tests, the board posted just fine. There seemed to be nothing at all wrong with it.

So I don't believe it was a bad board, but it may have been a bad PSU in his case. This issue is still difficult to track down, Abit can't duplicate it and neither can we right now. The vast majority of people have no problem at all using the IP35 boards and our PSUs, which makes it very difficult to figure out.

I've got the same prob. with a non-corsair PSU... will try the CMOS resetting trick when the board gets back to me.

Apparently it tests AOK after returning it to the shop - sounds a familiar scenario!

Where did you find reports of this happening elsewhere?

If I can't get it going I might need to show it's a known problem to get the mobo exchanged...

There are lots of other forums with people reporting similar problem. Google this: abit corsair no post. Not that many have mentioned temperature as a reason, though. I hope you could check your system with a hairdryer too.

Here's a question for the support people: If my system posts faster when I warm up the cpu first, what does that indicate?

Which components in the psu or motherboard are most likely to rely on temperature to start up?

• Corsair Employee

Here's a question for the support people: If my system posts faster when I warm up the cpu first, what does that indicate?

That would suggest a possible BIOS issue the CPU temp should not have any issue as long as its with in spec. and 20 Deg C is 68 Deg F and I would suspect our Lab is about 20-22 Deg C on average. Or maybe some component on your specific MB is sensitive to room temp.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

unaware of the issues, i've just bought a whole new system with a abit ip35 and a corsair hx520.... you guessed it power comes on, fans+drives start for a few seconds, power goes off repeat cycle untill power is cut.

Ive reseated the CPU, and removed the cmos battery, but no different, can't get the system to post at all.

any other suggestion to try? or am i gonna have to swap the psu or motherboard for another make/model?

This is happening to me now; Because it's now winter, and my pc was near a windows that was cracked, and temps got a little cooler.

Ip35-e won't post; corsair hx620; tried everything, then,

I put a hair dryer on the psu/motherboard area, and it posts.

Any word yet on this?

I hope someone finds the solution soon.

It would seem someone familiar w/ Corsair psu's and motherboards could find this.

Mark

I haven't replaced anything yet, as I'm not sure what component is causing the problem. Since the fan on my XFX 8800 graphics card is spinning at max before POST, I thought something was wrong there. Asked XFX support about it and they suggested psu or motherboard.

Archived