Corsair Community

Amd 2500+...I Don't want TwinX 3200LL what ever...

Ghò_Wórm

My budget is not great so TwinX 3200LL is out of the question,...hmm i thought 2 sticks of XMS 2700 or 3000 would be a nice alt... can anybody tell me if these 2 flavour's of XMS in 512Mb sticks will be compatable in my nforce2-400 Ultra ? I hear that 256Mb sticks will work in DC but 2 x 512Mb sticks have problems... could some one confirm this ... please. any info on version numbers would be helpful :D: a sticky with chip identification and module version! :idea:

If your MB supports DC than 2 512's will work just as well as 2 256's. Your CPU FSB is 333, so cost wise I would go with the TwinX 2700. This is a tested set made for dual channel. You can go with two: CM64SD512-2700 2: CMX512-2700C2 2: CMX512-2700LL Or the TWINX1024-2700LL. Hope this helps.

XMS 2700 is an option I'm seriously considering, a salesman told me, that some XMS 3000 512mb sticks he had on sale would work in dual channel on my NF7-S, but most salesman tell me I should only buy the TwinX? So you can understand my confussion, I didn't know "TwinX" products were the only one's Corsair sells that can operate in Dual Channel with Nforce2 ! If I could buy some other corsair PC2700 512Mb sticks that could run DC, I would be happy... oh well, I might do some more searching, thanks for the reply though!

Any ram will not run in DC, because the chip module's needs to be the same type. I don’t want to buy 2 sticks ram, one of witch is BH-5 and the other TCB-3, etc. So unless I know what chips I can expect to find in different versions of XMS, I can’t be guaranteed compatibility. I can only walk into a computer shop and ask, but most salesmen just don’t know enough about their stock, or don’t have the time! One guy didn’t even know the difference between single sided and double. I would love to know a little more about the XMS 3000 There is a little old stock available but I don’t know it’s compatibility with different versions of the same. If the ram guy could enlighten us it would clear up some of the confusion. XMS 512 PC2700...how many versions and what chips used? XMS 512 PC2700 LL.............ditto XMS 512 PC3000 .............ditto XMS 512 PC3200 .............ditto XMS 512 PC3200 LL.............ditto XMS 512 PC3500.............ditto

• Corsair Employee
What is the part# that you have that you are trying to match it to? There are too many possibility’s to list all oft he possible options. There should be a label on the module you have like: Corsair CMX512-3200C2 XMS3200 Rev 1.1 0247098 It would be lees confusing to try to match the module you have verses try to give you all of the possible options.

CMX512 2700 C2 V1.1 and V2.? CMX512 2700LL C2 V1.1 and V2.? CMS512 3000 C2 V1.1 and V2.1 I own 1 x CMX256 3000 C2 V1.1 and 2 x CMX256 3500 C2 V1.1 these all perform well...I really like the CMX256 3000 C2 V1.1 this stuff over clocks like stink! But you see I'm wanting to buy 2 x 512Mb sticks of PC 2700 to overclock in my NF7-S.....and I can't afford TwinX If corsair dose not want to tell people whats in there ram, then thats fine! It's there company they can run how they see fit. Its just if we had a sticky with the chip model and version number it would make buying older ram much less risky ! Not every body can afford to buy a GIG of ram in one hit!

• Corsair Employee
It's not that we do not want to tell you at all. The problem is that there have been some changes and to list all of the possible combinations is not realistic. But for your request I would suggest that you get or use XMS3500C2 as that has not changed. Or if you look around I have seen some of the resellers still have stock of CMS3000 but you may have to call a few resellers or try [url]www.pricewatch.com[/url] and do a search for the part# like CMX256-3000

OK ramguy, could you please tell me what chips were used in CMX512-3000 version 1.1 and 2.1, as I can buy some of each! CMX512-3500 is not a alternative I can afford, I can afford CMX512-2700, so if you could tell me what chips the current version uses, it will help me decide!

Thanks for the info Ram-Guy... There is just too many versions of XMS floating around to consider a mail-order purchase and be confident of recieving 2 identical versions. So I bought 2 x 512MB sticks of Buffalo PC3200 that uses Windbond CH-5 chips for $83 each including postage! Dose the current version of CMX512-3200C2 still use the Winbond CH-5 chips?

• 2 weeks later...
I just recieved my 2 x 512 sticks of Buffalo PC3200 C 2.5 (winbond CH-5) and it passes Memtest 86 v3.0 at 215MHz with the timings @ 2.0, 3, 3, 11 at 2.6 volts... in dual channel !! can't test any higher, as my locked barton craps out at that speed any how... at $73 bucks a stick.... I'm very happy with it's performance, and value for money!!:greengrin :greengrin :greengrin :greengrin

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAM GUY [/i] [B]Should have got our Value Select as they would come with our warranty and run verry well. But I do wish you the best of luck. [/B][/QUOTE] Yeah... I did consider the Value Select, but the Buffalo was still cheaper and has a life time warranty.... It was a bit of a gamble as to how well it overclocked, but I just tried giving my barton some more volts (1.95) and the buffalo 2.8 v and it booted into windows @ 220 MHz with the timmings of 2.0, 3, 3, 11.. I have not had time to run memtest again, but it did complete a run of 3DMark2001 :greengrin :greengrin :greengrin ....oh well back to some more testing !! Edit: woohoo it pased metest86 @ 220MHz... I'm soo glad I didn't buy a gig of TwinX.. now I might be able to afford an ATI 9800 Pro !! Merry christmas too all :): :): :):

Archived