Corsair Community

Random reboots shut down and restart computer

Ugenious

I have random reboots which shut down my computer and then immediately restarts without the electricity going off. However the Power On light does go off. It is not the same as a normal restart from Windows. Keep in mind that my computer is on a 2Kva UPS. The problem occurs even when off the UPS.

PC Composition:

Intel Core i5-4570 @3.20GHz

Corsair VS Series 550

Corsair Carbide 300R Gaming case (Midi Tower,Black)

Gigabyte motherboard GA-H87M-HD3 (1.x)

Crucial DDR3 8GB (2x4)kit 1600MHz Ballistix

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB HDD

Samsung DVD-RW SH-224BB Sata Black Bulk

Using onboard Intel® HG Graphics 4600 with two 17" monitors

Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

I have reinstalled clean Windows and latest Gigabyte drivers but the problem only seems to get worse. Last year reboots would occur only once every two months. Now they occur every 3-4 days or more. I can not reproduce the problem in anyway. I have done a complete memtest on the memory and also have opened 100 tabs in Chrome which used all the memory and yet everything works fine. Removed the 2 memory modules and inserted one by one, but still no problem.

Many times when I am away from the computer it will reboot without any applications open. Other times it will reboot while I am working. Still I can not find a pattern for the reboots. After reading your thread "Haswell compatibility with Corsair power supplies" I wondered if this was a CPU/Haswell problem, but jonnyguru told me it is not and suggested that I open a new thread.

Bought this computer in August 2013, it is 1.5 years old. All suggestiongs are welcome.

Thank you in advance for your help :bigeyes:

It could be the motherboard. Just find another PSU and test. Doesn't have to be a high-end one. Just a generic one so that you can leave your pc on and see if it restarts. If it does, then almost certainly mobo is the problem.

Edit: there is a faint chance it is a shorting issue which has been there since day one which now is bothering the system even more. To be 100% sure remove mobo out of the case and put it on a box or something; then find another PSU and test.

Another thought, go to your bios and disable all c states for your cpu, as sometimes, as explained elsewhere, this confuses some older psus.

It could be the motherboard. Just find another PSU and test. Doesn't have to be a high-end one. Just a generic one so that you can leave your pc on and see if it restarts. If it does, then almost certainly mobo is the problem.

Edit: there is a faint chance it is a shorting issue which has been there since day one which now is bothering the system even more. To be 100% sure remove mobo out of the case and put it on a box or something; then find another PSU and test.

Another thought, go to your bios and disable all c states for your cpu, as sometimes, as explained elsewhere, this confuses some older psus.

Your second thought about the motherboard not being installed correctly from the reseller sounds like a possibility. I will have to remove it and reinstall it to make sure.

I recently did a rollback on my ethernet driver and vga driver. Since then I have not had a reboot, but it has only been three days. It could happen in a month from now.

I will then get another Generic PSU as you mentioned and see what happens. If the problem is the PSU (which has a 5 years guarantee) I could have it replaced. Of course they would give me another Corsair PSU and the problem might be the same.

whatever :bigeyes:

p.s. are there any utilities which can burn-test my Corsair VS550?

I like to run Furmark or Catzilla while running Prime95 (with all but one core) at the same time. That's going to max out your power consumption more than anything else out there.

great! I will run Prime95 with Furmark and see what happens.

thanks again! :biggrin:

I like to run Furmark or Catzilla while running Prime95 (with all but one core) at the same time. That's going to max out your power consumption more than anything else out there.

When you run Furmark what option do you select?

GPU Stress Test or CPU Burner?

I ran the GPU Stress Test (Furmark) and at the same time Prime95 with 3 workers (should I have selected 4?) and the cpu only went up to 84% usage.

I attached a Printscreen for you to see.

Am I doing it right?

How long should I let both of these progams to run?

Thanks again for your help! :bigeyes:

stress-test.thumb.jpg.4215c4481100d2ba360d88d06f1e4526.jpg

I ran the GPU Stress Test (Furmark) and at the same time Prime95 with 3 workers (should I have selected 4?) and the cpu only went up to 84% usage.

I attached a Printscreen for you to see.

Am I doing it right?

How long should I let both of these progams to run?

Thanks again for your help! :bigeyes:

I did the test again and selected 4 Workers (see attached photo) and the temperature went up to 93 degrees. Is this okay or am I going to burn the GPU? :biggrin:

stress-test-2.thumb.jpg.1256db430d198f24452311e957658081.jpg

Maybe your problem isn't the PSU. Maybe it's a problem with keeping your CPU cool.

When not running the burn tests the GPU temperature is at 31-32 degrees.

the power consumption is only 0.7W !!!!!!!!!!!

I do not play games or run anything that would make the cpu hot.

and the reboots happen when the computer is doing nothing.

:[pouts:

When not running the burn tests the GPU temperature is at 31-32 degrees.

the power consumption is only 0.7W !!!!!!!!!!!

I do not play games or run anything that would make the cpu hot.

and the reboots happen when the computer is doing nothing.

:[pouts:

Here is a printscreen of Core Temp 1.0

It shows that the CPU is running at a very cool temperature.

So it can not be a heating problem.

The Max. (89-92) you see is when I was runing both FurMark and Prime95 together.

core-temp.jpg.6fe29b16cfa7766e85034f6f0a7f126d.jpg

You're using the graphics that are integrated into the CPU, so your GPU temps ARE your CPU temps.

true. I realized that. and using "Core Temp" it shows that above 92 degrees it goes yellow, so I stopped testing.

yet the computer did not reboot. I also installed Catzilla and it ran smoothly.

it only suggested that I have a swap file of only 3GB instead of 8GB.

So I still can not reproduce the problem. A reboot might happen again after a few days. I know it sounds crazy but it is true.

Next step is to change the PSU right?

Had this issue a long time ago. Totally random could game for 4 hours then be browsing google and shutdown or could be gaming 5 minutes and shutdown. Was the power supply. Wasn't under warranty anymore so I gave to my buddy and he replaced a capacitor or some other small component and works fine. Not sure exactly as it was years ago. Your best bet is to find a psu to try out. Easiest way to rule is out really.

Had this issue a long time ago. Totally random could game for 4 hours then be browsing google and shutdown or could be gaming 5 minutes and shutdown. Was the power supply. Wasn't under warranty anymore so I gave to my buddy and he replaced a capacitor or some other small component and works fine. Not sure exactly as it was years ago. Your best bet is to find a psu to try out. Easiest way to rule is out really.

When it shutdown, did it restart again?

I had the same issue. I ended up taking all gigabytes utilities off. I only kept the app center and update bios. The overclocking and ez-tune and possibly the USB on off was the culprit. Haven't had an issue over a year now. Un-install anything gigabyte utilities software.

• Corsair Employee
but definitely not PSU !!!!! :laughing:

Never said that.

Like HOODedAssault said: If the PSU is something handy/easy to replace, give it a shot. At this point, you're "shut gun troubleshooting".

Last week I had a similar issue with my very own personal PC.

I can run Furmark for hours on end and not get a lock up or reboot. Sitting in Facebook.... lock... black screen.... shut down... reboot.

Checking email.... lock... black screen.... shut down... reboot.

Checking these forums... lock... black screen.... shut down... reboot.

I have two GTX 670 cards, so troubleshooting is easy as far as GPU goes. So I figured I'd start there. Pulled the second card and everything was stable. So I figure that card is bad. I can handle that. 670 is kind of dated, so it's time for an upgrade.

But instead of stopping there, I pull the first card and put in the second. Hmm..... still stable. I then pull that card, leaving the 1st PCIe slot vacant and put the "known stable" card in the second PCIe slot. Fire up the PC and it almost immediately locks up and shuts down.

CRAP! My motherboard is apparently bad. (Happens to be Gigabyte... what a coincidence!)

BTW: I did also suspect the PSU, but for me playing with the graphics cards was the easiest path to take in troubleshooting, soo.....

My point? The problem can be anything. When a PC can't function for whatever reason, it stops functioning altogether. The sum of its parts must ALL work properly.

Something I forgot to suggest that you should try....

Go into "system properties" and "advanced system settings". Under the settings for "advanced system settings", make sure that "write an event to system log" is CHECKED and that "automatically restart" is UNCHECKED.

Ok?

I had the same issue. I ended up taking all gigabytes utilities off. I only kept the app center and update bios. The overclocking and ez-tune and possibly the USB on off was the culprit. Haven't had an issue over a year now. Un-install anything gigabyte utilities software.

This is really interesting.. because I had the same thought and yesterday removed all Gigabyte utilities! I never could install the USB on/off utility but then maybe it installed and I could not see it. Of course this means that I will have to do a clean Win8.1 installation and NOT install any of Gigabytes ****.

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep you posted on the outcome. :bigeyes:

Like HOODedAssault said: If the PSU is something handy/easy to replace, give it a shot. At this point, you're "shut gun troubleshooting".

Something I forgot to suggest that you should try....

Go into "system properties" and "advanced system settings". Under the settings for "advanced system settings", make sure that "write an event to system log" is CHECKED and that "automatically restart" is UNCHECKED.

Ok?

The last thing (which I'll have to do) will be to change the PSU. So far from the tests that you proposed to me with Furmark and Prime95 (also using Core Temp 1.0 RC6 to make sure I do not burn my cpu) I have seen that everything works great even under the biggest of pressure. The PSU used only 125 watts when I was doing the tests (Core Temp shows watt consumption too).

However as you probably read in my last post to abn505 I have removed all Gigabyte utilities even before he suggested that I do so. I now have to see if the problem will occur again. If it does I'm going for a clean Win8.1 installation with no Gigabyte drivers. :sigh!:

All your help here on the forum has pointed me to check all possibilities before changing the PSU and I am testing all of them.

thanks! :biggrin:

Archived