Corsair Community

Computer Restarts While Gaming

ntin

I am using a Corsair HX850 power supply on an NVidia 980 GTX SLI set up. While playing graphically intense video games or running benchmarks, my computer randomly restarts. I am not sure if the power supply is the culprit to this issue but it seems like something that might be an issue.

Are there anyways to narrow down if the power supply is at fault?

I disabled SLI in the Nvidia Control panel and I am not getting the restart when gaming or running FurMark. I am new to Nvidia have been using AMD in the past is there something other than enabling SLI in the Control Panel and adding the SLI bridge that I need to do?

Im not familiar with sli configurations,my pockets arent deep enough to afford them:D:

if you had tweaked the cards tho try going back to default settings and try things.

one other idea is to check that the proper cables are connected to the sli power,I had an issue with that myself

theres others here that will chime in so keep an eye on your post

at least your headed in the right direction;):

Im not familiar with sli configurations,my pockets arent deep enough to afford them:D:

if you had tweaked the cards tho try going back to default settings and try things.

one other idea is to check that the proper cables are connected to the sli power,I had an issue with that myself

theres others here that will chime in so keep an eye on your post

at least your headed in the right direction;):

I have not overclocked the cards. I double checked the power and SLI cables they all connected.

See if there is any info in the Windows Event Viewer.

There are dozen or so, of these critical events.

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I am also getting a new symptom of when the computer abruptly shut downs. It does not restart, the fans start up then die right away on the POST. I have to unplug the power supply from the wall and back in to get the computer to shut down.

• Corsair Employee

Ok.. That's called the PSU "latching off". It's a protection that prevents harm to the PSU and other parts of the system.

The cause for latching can be a short or too high of a temperature within the PSU.

Is this whole build new or did you just add the graphics cards, etc.? Give us some history.

Unfortunately he isn’t. Why do I need the 290x though?

Installing either of the GTX 980, are stable under heavy load for an extend period of time. It is only when both cards are hooked up in SLI and put under heavy load, my computer shuts down.

• Corsair Employee

Because the power supply should be more than adequate and I believe those ATI card actually require MORE power. So its possible that there's something wrong with the mobo or one of the slots got damaged.

When you tried the Nvidia cards one at a time, did you try them both in slot 1 or did you ever try single card operation with the card is slot 2?

Unfortunately he isn’t. Why do I need the 290x though?

Installing either of the GTX 980, are stable under heavy load for an extend period of time. It is only when both cards are hooked up in SLI and put under heavy load, my computer shuts down.

Good point. I had forgotten that. TDP for the 980s is165w each while the 290X is rated at 300w.

Looking into it more my particular 980GTX the Gigabyte GV-N980G1 GAMING-4GD has a recommended 600 watt power supply compared to the reference card's recommended 500 watt. It may very well be the 850 watt I have is not sufficient.

• Corsair Employee

No. An 850W is more than enough. The 600W recommendation is for the total system. Not 600W for just the card. As Yellowbeard pointed out, your cards are only 165W each. Even with OC they shouldn't exceed 200W. The problem is not lack of power.

You try a single card in the second slot yet like I suggested earlier?

Installing each GPU in the second PCIE slot worked fine tonight.

To summarize what I have done this far:

Installed each GPU separately in PCIE slot #1 and PCIE slot #2. Each card is able to complete FurMark 15 minute burn in test without encountering a sudden shutdown.

With both GPU installed with the SLI bridge I was not able to finish the FurMark 15 minute burn in test.

As a SLI setup they are capable of running medium GPU load games (Payday 2 and League of Legends) without the sudden shut down for an extended period of time.

As a SLI setup I was not capable of running a high GPU load game (Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition) for more than a half hour before a sudden shutdown.

I have checked that all the cables are secured. Each GPU is powered by 2 different 8PIN cables, not a single Y 8PIN cable.

I ordered them from newegg but why would I want to RMA the video cards?

Either GPU works fine in either PCI-E slot. It is only when they are both installed as SLI under a heavy GPU load the shut down occurs. It seems like the power supply is at fault?

• Corsair Employee

It would seem like that... BUT, you had graphics cards in there that consumed even more power and the PSU worked fine. Why would putting more efficient cards in your PC cause more stress on the PSU? Answer: It wouldn't.

There could be something wrong with the logic that allows SLI to function. But you can't properly troubleshoot that without another set of cards.

Archived