Corsair Community

VX550 VERY loud fan, RMA?

EXPERIMENTONGOD

Hi guys,

I have a Corsair VX550. I bought it back in January '08 because I wanted to reduce the noise level of my PC and this was marketed as a very silent PSU. It worked great for a long time but now it isn't "silent" anymore. It has become noisier with time to the point where it's extremely loud under load.

I've tried blowing the dust out of the PSU and cleaning the fan blades, but it didn't get any better.

I've read this on the FAQs: "Corsair products are guaranteed to operate, as specified by their datasheet, and in the operating environment for which they were intended, for the life of the product or the extent of the warranty".

The "datasheet" (or rather a graphic on the box) shows the system load/fan noise curve and I think my PSU is way over these values, so my question is: is this defect covered by the warranty and should I ask for a replacement?

Thanks in advance

EOG

Yes , fans would be covered and would be something you could RMA the PSU for, as long as you are still within the warranty time period for your PSU.

Just use the link on the left side of the forums here to get started

Thanks for the fast response, I've already started the RMA request.

I have a couple of questions:

1. How would I have to proceed to make it an advanced RMA? I can't have any downtime with my PC. I'm from Spain so I don't speak English, I hope it can be worked out via e-mail.

2. As the VX550 is out of production which model will I get?. My guess would be a TX650 V2 as it's the lowest wattage non-modular PSU of the same class.

From what I have read in the forums I would have to ship the old PSU to the Netherlands and it's quite expensive, but I'm ok with that as it would be cheaper than buying a new unit.

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry but an advanced RMA can only be done by Phone you would have to call our customer service at the number listed under contact on the main site, and you can use skype to make the call and call the toll free number it will be a free call.

I am sorry but an advanced RMA can only be done by Phone you would have to call our customer service at the number listed under contact on the main site, and you can use skype to make the call and call the toll free number it will be a free call.

Thanks Ram Guy. I will call customer service once I get my RMA number, I hope they will be able to understand my english :p:

You should have the RMA conformation and you can call our customer service now and just ask for someone who speaks Spanish if you like they will be available for about another hour and a half.

Thank you very much, I have received the RMA confirmation, I will make the call soon ^_^.

Edit: Called CS through Skype, looks like my english wasn't that bad xD. They've set up an advanced RMA, but there seemed to be a problem with credit card authorization which I hope to fix tomorrow. They will be sending a TX650.

I've just received a confirmation e-mail for my advanced RMA, the new PSU has shipped from Amsterdam using TNT Air Express.

I'm very happy with the efficiency of tech support and customer service, thanks again Ram Guy and everybody at Corsair. I will definitely buy your products in the future.

Now it's time to figure out how to send the old PSU from Spain to the Netherlands without it costing an arm and a leg :p:

• Corsair Employee
NP and I am sorry I do not know all the different shipping methods so do a Google search but in some areas DHL may have more competitive rates; with other areas it may be UPS or TNT so please check around we do not care who you use as long as it does not get damaged in shipping and I would suggest you get insurance for about 100.00 USD or equivalent.

Bad news =(

I just received the new PSU (TX650 Model 75-001315).

This one has a defect that is actually much worse than the one I had: it's making a high pitch whine type noise, which can be heard easily from several meters away, it sounds like a mosquito flying, extremely annoying. It makes this noise constantly and it changes even by just moving the mouse around. As soon as I start some demanding program (for example Prime95 or a game) it stops.

I have made a recording of the noise:

http://www.telefonica.net/web2/franciscogh/tx650%20noise.mp3

This was recorded on the Windows desktop moving the mouse and clicking, notice how the "pitch" of the sound changes as I move the mouse. At 0:14 I started a stress test on Prime95 and, as you can hear, the noise immediately stops.

Another problem: I have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro soundcard that uses 1x floppy power connector, when I connected it to the new PSU (using the provided molex to floppy adapter, as the PSU doesn't have native connectors) it stopped working (no sound) the first time I booted with the new PSU installed and also a second time after using the computer for about 10 minutes (I re-checked all connections first between each boot). After this I promptly removed the PSU from the system afraid it would damage something. This is not game breaking as the power connector is only for the external I/O console which I rarely use, but it never happened with my old VX550. I cannot imagine what the new PSU is doing with power on that connector for the soundcard to fail like that.

By the way, it's a little disappointing that the new unit didn't come with a manual (only safety and warranty info), a case badge or a carrying pouch (it came on a plastic bag inside a plain cardboard box), it doesn't feel as good as the premium quality package of the VX550. I still have the badge from the VX550 on my case so no problem there ^^

I guess I should request another RMA, how should I proceed as it's the second RMA? I'm going to keep the VX550 in my system for now, I prefer a very loud fan to this, the noise was driving me insane and it's totally unacceptable that the PSU makes the soundcard go haywire.

You can contact CS by phone and explain the situation to them. If they decide to replace the PSU again, they will cover shipping both ways.

You might also try some of the trouble shooting tips outlined in the sticky's on the main power supply page before you call them , just to be sure it isn't something simple.

As far as the case badge goes, they no longer put them in the box, but you can request one through CS.

About the carry pouch, Your PSU is more of a value oriented PSU and not a high end modular PSU , so there is no need for a carry pouch for extra cables. I'm sure it also helps keep the total cost down too.

You might also try some of the trouble shooting tips outlined in the sticky's on the main power supply page before you call them , just to be sure it isn't something simple.

As far as the case badge goes, they no longer put them in the box, but you can request one through CS.

About the carry pouch, Your PSU is more of a value oriented PSU and not a high end modular PSU , so there is no need for a carry pouch for extra cables. I'm sure it also helps keep the total cost down too.

I was planning to try some troubleshooting with the CPU power saving settings, but when the soundcard stopped working I just got the PSU out of the system to be safe. If I disable that and suddenly it starts working flawlessly I will probably keep it to avoid more hassle. If this PSU is about power efficiency I don't think disabling power saving features is such a good idea, but I will try it.

The badge is no problem, as I said, I already have one. Also I don't want or need the pouch, I was just commenting on how this PSU's package presentation is a little weaker than it used to be (specially random things such as not including a manual). It's still a fantastic looking PSU (Corsair logo on the fan grill, black finish and screws, etc) and they still include the zip ties which is nice.

UPDATE: After some further testing I can confirm that the noise is still there even after disabling all CPU power saving options (C1E, Intel C-STATE and SpeedStep) in the BIOS. Also I get the noise even while running a game (started one, went to eat something, and when I came back there it was, all CPU power saving features disabled, Vsync enabled, etc). Also, the fan doesn't even spin while hearing the noise, so it's not the fan.

This is truly sad as the fan is completely silent, which is better than I expected, but this noise is really annoying; loud fan noise is music by comparison. It's even worse than what I see on youtube videos about coil whine and PSU noise.

Can you please tell me how to proceed Ram Guy?

I'm not sure if I have to request a new RMA or use the current RMA to ask for another replacement. I would like to return the PSU I just received as the old one works better (noisy fan is better than these weird noise problems).

My current RMA# is 1280098.

Thanks.

I am sorry about that but please call our customer service and let them know the previous RMA# and the issue they will take care of you. I will send them an email but that is about all I can do from my side.

Thanks, I will do that.

EDIT 09/18/12: They will send a second replacement "within 1-2 business days"

EDIT 09/19/12 11:55AM: I just received the second replacement, that was fast (!)

Previous replacement PSU manufactured week 28 year 2012

New replacement PSU manufactured week 18 year 2012

Going to test it now.

After some testing I have the exact same noise problem on the second replacement and looks that I'm not alone, check out this video from Kicko's post:

That's exactly how the two replacement PSUs I've received sound. On the second replacement it's somewhat less frequent than with the previous unit, it doesn't make the noise just moving the mouse on the desktop for example, which is an improvement. But the noise is still there and it's pretty loud; you can hear it from meters away, it's not like you need to put you ear next to the PSU, this is unacceptable.

Ram Guy, can you give me a solution for this now that it seems pretty clear that a lot if not all recent TX650 PSUs have this flaw? If you are not able to help I will email CS again and see if we can work things out, but I think you are way faster and more efficient.

My current RMA# 1280098 (old Case# 5033712).

Have you tried any of the suggestions listed in this Post?

Yes, I have tried the suggestions from that post on the first replacement (as explained in post #14) and also on the second replacement, but it doesn't fix anything, the problem is still present.

This is just UNBEARABLE, absolutely terrible and annoying as hell. For example, if I open a video and pause it, the PSU starts whining loudly! even with the video minimized. My case and CPU fans are pretty silent (they are Noctuas) which only makes things worse. What's the point of having the fan not spin up to achieve quiet operation if the PSU makes these horrible noises?.

Please Corsair, help me, I just want a quiet PSU. This noise could drive a man crazy.

• 4 weeks later...

I have received the 3rd replacement, it's a refurbished TX850 V2 (different serial number in the PSU and box sticker). Manufactured week 21 year 2012.

Finally the noise from the fan controller present in the TX650s is gone, because it's a V2 and the fan is always on. But the problem is that the fan seems to be always running at maximum RPMs, so it's pretty loud at idle (maybe that's the reason why it was refurbished :/).

Corsair offered another replacement, wish me luck!

Edit: They're replacing it with an HX750 now.

This morning I received the HX750 by UPS. It's a model CP-9020031 EU manufactured on week 21 year 2012.

Finally!. After 4 replacements in 6 weeks, this PSU performs admirably in respect to noise levels (which was my problem to begin with):

- Fan off at idle and playing videos.

- No more weird noise from the fan controller, the fan just kicks in when needed.

- When under load fan spins up to high RPMs to dissipate heat buildup and then adjusts automatically to medium RPMs and acceptable noise levels (reminds me of laptop cooling fans, good design choice in my opinion).

I have it mounted on top of the case so it gets pretty hot, but I just bought a case which supports bottom mounting and will move my system there next week. Also I said this about the TX650:

By the way, it's a little disappointing that the new unit didn't come with a manual (only safety and warranty info), a case badge or a carrying pouch (it came on a plastic bag inside a plain cardboard box), it doesn't feel as good as the premium quality package of the VX550. I still have the badge from the VX550 on my case so no problem there ^^

The HX750 comes with manual, a cloth carrying bag and the case badge (which is ideal for my new case).

In the end another happy customer, thanks a lot Corsair.

Archived