Corsair Community

Troubleshooting TX750W

-Z-

Hello,

I am experiencing a problem with my system on startup. I am posting for some advice on whether the problem looks to be the PSU or Motherboard. I have pretty much ruled out or RMA'd every other part of the system and am down to the last 2.

Here goes:

On startup with a P5Q motherboard, I recieve a blank monitor with a yellow LED. This used to happen every 5-7 boot ups, but now happens every time or every other time.

The only way to get the system up is to shut down, power off the PSU at the switch and power back up. I have to keep the system powered down until the light on the mobo goes out or the problem just repeats itself. Once I do this, the system powers on (lights, fans, etc) for about 2 seconds, shuts off for another few seconds, and then powers up normally.

Once it is running, the system operates normally. Memtest says RAM is fine, video card has been RMA'd and replaced with a known good unit. The only BIOS revision I have made is to raise the RAM voltage to 2.1v, which was at the recommendation of the manufacturer since the system was having trouble installing programs.

I can provide more info if needed. Does this sound like a mobo issue or a PSU issue?

Thank in advance for any advice. Sorry about being long winded.

• Corsair Employee
I would recommend that you try the PSU functionality test from the following thread in our forum: http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=63991. If the PSU powers on and stays on, then there is a possibility that your system is triggering the OCP/OVP (overcurrent and overvoltage protection) circuits on the PSU due to an out of spec signal from the motherboard. If this is the case then I would recommend testing the PSU in a different system to be sure. If the PSU is still not powering on properly then let us know and we will be happy to replace it!

Thank you for the quick reply!

I ran the "quick 'n' dirty" function check and the PSU had no problem running the fan and an optical drive after shorting the highlighted connections. They powered right on with no interruption in power.

I know this test isn't all-inclusive, but if you were to take a guess, does this look like a motherboard issue?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

I am thinking that the issue is likely related to the motherboard and a new board should resolve the issue. Its possible that the PSU could have something to do with it, but normally if the issue is with the PSU, then the problem will be consistent and will be the same every time.

If you would like to get the PSU replaced to rule it out altogether, then please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

• 4 weeks later...

RMA'd the motherboard with no problems found.

The system is now failing to start up the case fans (4) on startup. They will power on after the computer has been on for about 2 minutes, but don't start up immediately like they used to.

I am going to go ahead and submit for the RMA. Thanks for all the help so far.

Archived