Corsair Community

H100i Pump failure

Tensor

I'm not even sure yet. I'm not capable of testing out my air cooler, but I basicly ruled out every option.

I'm sorry, I forgot to introduce myself, my name is Tom. I live in the Netherlands. I just turned 24 and I'm currently studying Advanced Programming.

I normally do the introduction on another section but I'm so damn frustrated right now that I could eat my monitor and throw my PC out of the window.

Okay, here is the problem.

I was all happy with my h100i, denying all the flaws and bad reviews about it. 'till a couple of days a go, I was running stable overclocks for the past four months no problems at all.. Tested and tortured it as adviced and as common routine.. But all of a sudden the temps of the liquid in the cooler started raising like madness.. Hits about 60 degrees celcius when playing a game (CPU reaches about 65 on the cores and then it shuts down, overheat protection).

I tried EVERYTHING (Except for changing to my air cooler to rule out cpu issues or a bad sensor). Remounting everything, re-applying TIM... Loosen the screws a bit, tighten them a bit more.. Added extra washers in between the clips, sadly on an AMD platform due to being a poor student.. Tighten it a little bit more.. It gave me SOME decrease in temperatures (About 1 Celcius).

I can ensure that this was all fine 'till a couple of days a go.. Fortunatly I have some old coolers here, either Stock coolers that are never been used as to my old after market cooler. But before I want to test this. I want to know, sorry for not really getting to the point anywhere, but I'm really tired and my English is so bad from time to time that I forget where I was and IE being too lazy read it all, yeah you know where this is going. To get back to the point..

I been undervolting and running stock settings and still the liquid reaches about 50 degrees celcius in ilde, what I want to know.. Is there anyone that can garantuee the pump is broken? Before going through the same routine tomorrow again and realising then the pump is indeed broken.

If anyone could know me ASAP or tell me it's wise to undergo the RMA process, I'd be very happy and will be going through immediatly. Also I'd switch my coolers without hessitation, but the room my components are in. Is too damn dark to find my stuff, so sadly I have to delay that 'till tomorrow..

In case of RMA.. Do I only need to return the rad+pump.. or everything? I might have lost little bits in the process, but I doubt I lost anything though I usually keep everything together. But just in case, I'd like to know that as well.

And one last minor thing, are there possibilities of an Advanced RMA? I know I have some old stuff I can work with in the mean time.. But I was just starting to get used to the silence in here, that I would LOVE advanced. But if you, corsair, say: Nah you should work with the components you have and wait for replacement that's all fine.

So everything together:

1. Temps were normal and stable for 4 months.. Overclocks all stable etc.

2. Never did firmware update since my unit came with 1.0.5

3. All of sudden temps rose from the one day to the other and kept shutting my pc down

4. undervolted and using stock settings.. can keep the cpu idling in 40-45 on the socket.. about 25-35 on the cores

5. No matter how hard I spin up the fans... the liquid drops very very very slowly in temperature..

6. I almost have no doubt it's the pump...

- this is because: One hose is extremely hot, radiator doesn't even get close to the temperature of the hose.. the inlet on the Rad seems to be slightly warm, but not like it's as hot as the hose is, should be like that? Right?

7. the rest of the rad feels rather colder than room temperature, or at least cold to touch.

8. I'd really think the radiator should get hot... well at least if it's been on for like 7 hours.. but it seems like it doesnt even get the slightest hotness around it.. also I don't feel the warm air anymore exausting.. Feels just like regular front intake airflow.. really cold to touch.

I want to add.. I like this Unit a lot.. I even denied the fact the RGB was a little bit off and fine-tuned the colors till it was pure white.

And I would buy this unit again without a doubt, but damn ... I wish it wouldn't have broken down, I feel so sad right now... Sad sad panda.

And a little last thing... The Carbide 500R is such a sweet case. Outstanding build quality for it's price range <3

Yeah Yeah, already gone over that.. It just shows it's rpm 2234 .. I read more about this pump failure and all pumps are indicating to be running..

But from the hose I can't tell the water is running.. I feel some vibration but it feels more like the vibration there is in the rest of the case.

I guess I'll go through RMA.

And to be fairly honest.. I don't think some-one would ask for an opinion if his pump wasn't running at all, the more I read about the issues.. The more I struggle with the very little help you get in this forum and all of the standard forum answers.. But yeah, due to me being tired I could've slipped it out in my answer, normally I don't forget these details..

I will add... Heat is slowly like very slowly fading from the liquid.. I'm running idle atm and it was instantly 45 degrees while it has been off for at least 8 hours. and in idle it doesn't even seem to be dropping..

Ambient is around 24/25 celcius.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8429/9qyk.png

In BIOS the pump RPM is more or less around 2200 RPM..

Keep in mind the picture is all stock settings and undervolted. I'm 110% sure the temps shouldn't be this high.

I have to go to my little nephew his birthday. But I'll check with stock cooler to indicate if there's a problem with CPU or sensor, but I doubt it... I'll let you know the temperatures with stock cooler.. If they sunk, then I'll use my old aftermarket cooler 'till the RMA process is complete (Not putting on the aftermarket cooler because it's too much hassle to get off the amd brackets of the motherboard.).

And to be fairly honest.. I don't think some-one would ask for an opinion if his pump wasn't running at all, the more I read about the issues.. The more I struggle with the very little help you get in this forum and all of the standard forum answers..

You would think so...but happens just about on a daily basis. And these units are straight forward and really there is only a couple of things that can go wrong with them...hence the standard responses from everyone. There is only so much "support" one can give. If the few things that are suggested don't help, then the only recourse is to have it replaced.

One thing i didn't see you mention was , have you checked the RAD to be sure it's clear. If you have pets, cat,dog, whatever hair and dust will clog them up in just a few weeks.

7. the rest of the rad feels rather colder than room temperature, or at least cold to touch.

Very normal. My custom loop rarely even gets warm. And that's heavily overclocked 24/7. Inlet is warm but not hot, and outlet is cold.

I would also try re-seating the pump if anything to exhaust all other possibilities.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for long time no hear.. But I been very busy @ school.

The thing is, I tried EVERYTHING. Reseating, reinstalling drivers, reinstalling windows.. Underclocking, Undervolting etc etc.. But with lowest possible settings in the bios as well as coolest solution.. It seems to be idling at around 45 ©.. And one hose is like HOT, really hot. Feels like a dish just got from the microwave.. I know one hose should feel warm to touch, but not burningly hot (I compared with a working cooler from a friend).. His one hose is warm, but certainly not burninghot. His rad is cold yes).

It was working fine before it suddenly stopped.. It was idling at around 20-25 C (core package, socket was about 30/35) for about 2/3 months then it broke on booting. All of a sudden random shut downs and I burned my CPU with it, it's not fried but you can see the scars from overheating, I replaced that CPU now.. Then I tried the cooler again with minimum settings on the cpu cool and stable, but still my new CPU would ramp up to 50 degrees celcius in seconds.

It's just I love this cooler so much and would like to get some help, I just request for RMA a couple of minutes a go.

If you like more information I will add my system information to my account, right about now.

PS I'm using my old Thermaltake frio now.. And my cpu with 15% overclock isn't even coming close to 50 degrees under load.. So I'm about 80% sure the pump is broken, especially because one hose is HOT, really HOT.

One thing i didn't see you mention was , have you checked the RAD to be sure it's clear. If you have pets, cat,dog, whatever hair and dust will clog them up in just a few weeks.

The rad is on the top of my case.. I have pets yes, but I do regular clean ups in my case.. About once a month getting the dust out of it... About every two weeks I check for cat fur, but I have never found the fur inside of my case, fans or rad. The only place I do find fur sometimes is in the filter that's blocking my PSU cooler, but other than that I keep a very clean PC, dust pile up is usually minor, the fur just on one position which I keep an eye on all the time, the filter for PSU gets cleaned almost on a weekly base.

Well, thank you.. I hope RMA support can help me out with this.. I'm starting to miss the silence in my home.

Anyhow, I know you have to do the monkey test, so thanks anyway for the support.

Have to get back to studying,

I'll try to inform you when updates come.

Well, thank you.. I hope RMA support can help me out with this.. I'm starting to miss the silence in my home.

Anyhow, I know you have to do the monkey test, so thanks anyway for the support.

Have to get back to studying,

I'll try to inform you when updates come.

support is where Corsair out shines most businesses,its much better than average.

Wow, on a sunday? That's terrific, although I don't expect it soon. Due to I don't have to patience to wait nor I like waiting ( I rather don't think about it and see it upon checking time, yeah mental check-lists *cheers*).

So I'll check back in just a couple of days or maybe even sooner.

And yes I already expected the support to be good, although I felt a little bit frustrated at first. But I guess that's mostly because I felt like I knew the problem and got monkeytested :P But that's fine, I'm not here to get mad.

I hope I have my baby silent soon again, the noise is unbearable..

Off Topic:

I still love to thank corsair for my wonderful case, it is still in my opinion one of the better cases in it's price range (Carbide 500R), also this is the first white case I fell in love with. I usually wouldn't go for a white case, due to the fact I have bad habits (Smoker) and it would get yellow soon. But yeah, when I clean I give it a sponge bath as well.. In my opinion it's still as white as when I got it.

Also the case is very strong, the sidepanels feel very strong. Even the sidepanel with the cutout doesn't have much flex in it, which was certainly a pro for me.. One of my previous cases wasn't actually flat anymore due to the soft metal that was used.

Sorry for the bad English here and there, sometimes I wish I was a native speaker. Since it's much easier than my own language, but due to the fact I'm not a native speaker it's hard here and there. So I hope you guys could understand me, because I tend to be here more often from now on.

Off topic more:

The forum rules seem to be very good as well, most forums have rules but don't seem to apply them. So big up for that..

Sincerely,

Tom

My RMA has been Accepted, this was indeed quick. Far out the fastest response I have had in the past 5 years and hardware related.. Took me ages to get my motherboard back when it died in 2 months (Leaking capacitors).

However, I have a question.

Do I only need to send my radiator? Or should I send my whole box?

My logic says only the pump/radiator.. But seeing I want to be sure.

Thanks in advance.

Do I only need to send my radiator? Or should I send my whole box?

My logic says only the pump/radiator.. But seeing I want to be sure.

Thanks in advance.

ive seen it answered both ways but most likely everything minus the wiring but a mod will soon clarify...

• 6 months later...

Sorry to wake up an old thread.

But I never thanked anyone for the provided help, outside of the RMA process.

So here I am to thank you.. Thank you guys.

It's been a couple of months now and my replacement is still going strong. I got reminded because I had to work at home tonight (currently working due to switching to another school).

Haha, I'm so useless @ graveyard shifts.

Anyways, cheers.

Archived