Corsair Community

Help for Fan Selection

MMendes

Hi All,

I'm in doubt in what would be the best FAN configuration for my case and my set up.

I have a Corsair 780t Case, still with stock fans. The PC spec is as follows:

PROCESSOR: AMD FX8350 Black Edition

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer AM3+

MEMORY: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866Mhz PC3-15000

GRAPHICS: 3 x Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC 4Gb GDDR5 (3 in Crossfire)

STORAGE 1: Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD

STORAGE 2: Seagate 1GB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX1200i

CPU COOLER: Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler

Now for the question, I want to buy Corsair Fans, for the looks (that beautiful Red Ring), but i REALLY don't want led ones. Also i want the best compromise between cooling capacity and Silence.

I was thinking, Triple AF120 Quiet Edition for the front of the case (instead of the twin 140mm) as intake, 2 AF120 Quiet Edition in the bottom, also as intake. In the back the AF140 as exhaust, but the doubt is on the Radiator. Should i use 4 x AF140 in a push/pull configuration on the radiator, 2 AF140 in Pull Config on top, as exhaust ...

What FAN config would be better with my 780t and for my setup?

Thanks in advance.

Marco

EDIT: Side note, and quite relevant, i have removed all the drive cages, including Optical, so completely unobstructed air flow from the front to the MB.

If you want the absolute best, I'd do four AF140s in push-pull on the radiator, exhausting out of the top of the case, and then one more AF140 in front of those two in the top for symmetry's sake.

Everything else sounds solid, though.

Thanks Dustin, i was under the impression that on the top I could only fit 3x120mm and 2x140mm. Are you sure i could fit another one on top next to the twin 140mm for the Radiator? It would look better and also help exhaust hot air from the Case but not sure it will fit.

Do you want a Positive or Negative airflow inside the case?

Most people throw a bunch of fans inside the case thinking that's good enough without calculating airflow for maximum cooling capacity and efficiency. So the question remains do you want a Positive or Negative air pressure inside the case?

Do you want a Positive or Negative airflow inside the case?

Most people throw a bunch of fans inside the case thinking that's good enough without calculating airflow for maximum cooling capacity and efficiency. So the question remains do you want a Positive or Negative air pressure inside the case?

Hi,

You are right, that is why I am seeking advice. My main concern are the 3x R9's that heat a lot, so i am looking to get in fresh air but also exhaust all the hot air generated by those 3. Also wanted to achieve this with the highest possible degree of silence...

Positive air pressure is when the intake CFM is higher than the exhaust CFM (most people will use positive air pressure to control dust reduction inside the computer) Positive air pressure is created by drawing air flow from the front intake, top and bottom vents while exhausting through the rear vents.

Example:

Total CFM in = 200 CFM

Total CFM out = 170 CFM

Negative air pressure is when the intake CFM is lower than the exhaust CFM. Negative air pressure is created by drawing air flow from the front intake and bottom vents while exhausting through the rear and top vents.

Example

Total CFM in = 170 CFM

Total CFM out = 200 CFM

Your system build will benefit from Negative air pressure because of the heat those R9 's create. Negative air pressure will create steady flow or vacuum of hot air exiting the case without leaving any heat behind vs Positive air pressure will leave heated air inside the case since there's is less CFM exiting the case.

Positive air pressure is when the intake CFM is higher than the exhaust CFM (most people will use positive air pressure to control dust reduction inside the computer) Positive air pressure is created by drawing air flow from the front intake, top and bottom vents while exhausting through the rear vents.

Example:

Total CFM in = 200 CFM

Total CFM out = 170 CFM

Negative air pressure is when the intake CFM is lower than the exhaust CFM. Negative air pressure is created by drawing air flow from the front intake and bottom vents while exhausting through the rear and top vents.

Example

Total CFM in = 170 CFM

Total CFM out = 200 CFM

Your system build will benefit from Negative air pressure because of the heat those R9 's create. Negative air pressure will create steady flow or vacuum of hot air exiting the case without leaving any heat behind vs Positive air pressure will leave heated air inside the case since there's is less CFM exiting the case.

Crystal Clear. So i was on the right track. If i setup the AF120's in front and bottom as intake, i achieve lower CFM and noise level on the in side, and then the back and top Radiator fans with AF140's, bigger CFM and as exhaust i should have a pretty good air flow in and good exhaust power to remove the heat generated by the R9's.

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers,

Marco

Archived