Corsair Community

Wiring of Corsair hx850i

Tiny_UK

Not sure if I am in the right place, or done the right thing. Have never used a forum before. So please don't shout at me.....I am suffering a huge letdown, and hope that someone can help?????

A friend was building a new computer for me, when they were called away and not expected back soon. I am left with an almost complete system but one that is not fitted is the HX850i power supply. The motherboard is an AX370-Gaming K5 AM4 from Gigabyte. So now, my problem is: I have a bunch of wires, and no idea where they all go.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what wires go where, please?

There must be someone out there who can help? please

Tiny_Uk

Check the motherboard manual.

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

I have looked at the manual, but it's all the wires and plugs I have that confuse me. I must have about 18.

I am not fluent in computer building. As I said in my previous post, the person building it was 'called away' and not likely to return soon. So here I am with 900.00 uk ponds worth of computer bits that is imitating a paperweight.....

In my day you could not plug anything to the motherboard incorrectly, as the plugs would only go in one socket......

But thanks for the input, there must be somebody that knows what goes where, and with which plugs and lead???

Tiny_UK

• Corsair Employee

The problem is, what you are asking is very generic. We don't know what you're hooking up.

24-pin, 4-pin (2x2) and/or 8-pin plug into your motherboard. PCIe cables may plug into graphics cards if your graphics cards need them... Assuming you're not just using on board video. You may have drives that require Satan or peripheral connectors. You may have fans that plug into the motherboard or may need peripheral power connectors from the PSU.

The problem is, what you are asking is very generic. We don't know what you're hooking up.

24-pin, 4-pin (2x2) and/or 8-pin plug into your motherboard. PCIe cables may plug into graphics cards if your graphics cards need them... Assuming you're not just using on board video. You may have drives that require Satan or peripheral connectors. You may have fans that plug into the motherboard or may need peripheral power connectors from the PSU.

Hi, JohhnyGuru.

Thanks for the reply I believe the fans are all connected where they should be. There is a 16 pin socket on the motherboard; but not on the power supply. I have loads of cables and am pretty sure they can't all be plugged into the m/board or even the P/supply.

I have found the 24 pin that fits the M/Board and where it goes on the P/Supply. I have a G.Force GTX with 2 x 8 pin sockets. I presume this has to be powered? Is that classed as a PCIe? Plugging into that socket at top right of P/supply?

The rest of the sockets on the P/Supply are a total mystery.

But i do appreciate the reply. A very steep learning curve for me, not doing too badly for someone who has only been involved with 20 year old computers. Most of which were older than me.

Regards

Tiny_UK

P.S. My dyslexia is a problem. Replying to this message board is easier, as I type all my replies into software that corrects my mistakes (well, mostly) but reading is the difficult part especially from manuals.

;-)

There is a 16 pin socket on the motherboard; but not on the power supply.

You have a 24-pin (that you've found) and an 8-pin connector on that motherboard. You'll have an EPS/ATX12V 8 Pin (4+4) cable (you should have 2 of them) and that'll go into one of the "6+2 PCI-E & 4+4 CPU" connectors on the PSU. It'll be 2 4 pin connectors that connect side-by-side. This 8-pin connector will be at the "top" of your board, right by the I/O panel.

I have a G.Force GTX with 2 x 8 pin sockets. I presume this has to be powered? Is that classed as a PCIe? Plugging into that socket at top right of P/supply?

Yes, it needs power. This will be a PCI-E 8 pin (6+2) cable. You should have 3 of these with 2 connectors each. Again, the 6+2 will connect side-by-side. You should be able to lock them together, however. You'll need one cable but both connectors.

The rest of the sockets on the P/Supply are a total mystery.

You'll have other connectors for hard drives and other peripherals. They will come in 2 "flavors" - SATA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#/media/File:SATA_power_cable.jpg) and 4 pin Molex (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector#/media/File:Amp_and_Molex_Connectors.jpg). These will plug in to the "Peripheral & SATA" connectors on the PSU.

It's likely that you'll only need the SATA connectors; molex are on their way out (and good riddance to them!). These will connect to your hard drives/SSD's/optical drives.

The connectors will only go in one way; if it doesn't slide right in, you may have it reversed or have the wrong connector.

Finally, you'll need to connect the USB cable to an open USB 2.0 header on your motherboard. You should have 2 of these connectors on the "bottom" of your motherboard right to the left of the front panel and USB 3.0 connectors. One of these is completely to the right of the "bottom" PCI-Express connector and the other is right next to it and spans the end of that same PCI-Express connector. (They'll have 9 pins (1 row has 5 and 1 row has 4) and, again, it'll only plug in one way.

See https://qprkzq-ch3301.files.1drv.com/y4m0LgEnqtaJIHPwV7LV68d2G0fBgTQ3MD12RjAqpp9Hb047MP49yI9UY5Oio-3Yw2s-QwzofPI2vTEDAoZ_vI3xykCspLxkDG2GfYaPhTbrXuN5IpuaklKuxP_l67koLRpVez5YakPZgh9u1N0TLQcXECQ3ietB09i46r6X1sfy-lEH76iBarbjWR4SCszrX5SMoph25NU5pfUCzPXLZsK8A/2017030616220250_big.png?psid=1 for the location of the motherboard connectors.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Are you sure it's a 16-pin on the motherboard?

If so, that would NOT be ATX standard.

What kind of motherboard is it?

He's got an AX370-Gaming K5 AM4 ... that's what I used for the pic in my response above. There isn't a 16-pin connector on that motherboard, at least not for power. I suspect a typo.

Are you sure it's a 16-pin on the motherboard?

If so, that would NOT be ATX standard.

What kind of motherboard is it?

No, my bad. It's a 24. I got confused with the fact that there are two sockets and I was looking for one. So that's one solved. Appreciate all you guys helping me out like this.

Tiny_UK

• Corsair Employee
He's got an AX370-Gaming K5 AM4 ... that's what I used for the pic in my response above. There isn't a 16-pin connector on that motherboard, at least not for power. I suspect a typo.

Yeah. I see that board mentioned in the OP, but the whole "16-pin" thing totally threw me for a loop. :D

Hi, All. And a big thank you, to all those who advised me, and made suggestions.

I am typing this on my new computer build, have lots of stuff to re-install and that should keep me busy for the rest of the night.

Again...Thanks for everything. Without you guys it would not have happened.

Loads of appreciation sent from the UK.

;-)

Archived