Corsair Community

My new PSU rant!

Bobsone

Hi

A couple of years ago I built a PC for use as a main-central desktop. It isn’t anything spectacular, an i5, a large raid array, lots of ram, removable backup drives etc etc etc all adding up to a bit over 400 Watts.

Well that was a couple of years ago... I have now had to replace the PSU, yes I have had to buy a new PSU within 2 years.

So what happened? Well the short story is simply that the PSU started to deteriorate. On occasion it would start clattering to the extent that the first time I pulled the power plug because I thought something really bad was happening. Subsequent inspections revealed a quiet functioning PSU, but then a couple of months later it did it again, and then again... I finally decided to replace it when it started making a lot of noise, sometimes the fan would sound like it is grinding its way through the case, and then there were clicks, buzzes and just a lot of general noise.

So my new PSU, after a lot of reading and comparisons it came down to a choice between an EVGA 650G2 and a slightly more expensive Corsair RM650X. I chose the EVGA 650G2 with a 7 year warranty.

Why not the Corsair you ask?

The answer is simply that my new EVGA is replacing a piece of rubbish which is otherwise known as a CX600M. The CX600M started playing up within 18 months and has been replaced at around 2 years... I am really beeping annoyed :mad:.

Thanks...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived