Corsair Community

MP500 Temperatures ?

Installed my MP500 today on the Sabertooth X99 that has a little compartment you install M.2's in.

Within minutes it got up to 80'c, I took the little compartment door off to completely expose it and it went down to 70'c with fans circulating a good amount of air.

I then got an M.2 PCI-E adapter card and put it in there with 2 x 140mm Corsair ML Pro fans from the front intake of the Corsair 540 blowing air towards it and it still stays at around 70'c.

I read Corsairs stats that 65'c is the upper most operating temp yet even with really good airflow this thing won't drop below 70'c during a game.

Minus watercooling is there anything else I could possibly do ?

Hi,

First of all, welcome to the club...

You might read my thread on Asus ROG forum.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91186-M-2-SSD-temperature

Don't know, what were "they" thinking about, when releasing a volcano-like-drive without any accesories to cool it down.

The internet says, that samsung drives are a bit cooler, but still I saw angry reviews about very high temps.

Mine was around 65c in idle.

After some manipulations (see ROG forum link) now I have 50c idle. Don't know how hot will it be with games.

Hoping very much, Corsair will think something out.

I then got an M.2 PCI-E adapter card and put it in there with 2 x 140mm Corsair ML Pro fans from the front intake of the Corsair 540 blowing air towards it and it still stays at around 70'c.

I was hoping that 2 similar fans in front of the case would help. I moved the ssd to the bottom of MOBO, in front of the fans. And that gave almost nothing. Very strange.

For the god's sake!

Even with perfectly attached heatsinks, this....soldering iron can't drop under 46c :brick:. Although many people say, that heatsinks help quite a lot.

Yes, can't say they don't, but not to much.

attachment.php?attachmentid=63220&d=1489590801&thumb=1

I know it's not even near 80c, when it starts to throttle, but the temp rises easily. E.g watching youtube adds 5-6c.

Have found a local seller and ordered this: (looks promising)

120c.jpg

Said made in germany. :biggrin: so hope it'll help for good!

And to make me a little more sad, the samsung 960Pro has arrived to my country at the price of my mp500. :mad:

P.S Is there something that must be reconfigured in BIOS or somewhere else, after I move the ssd from M.2_2 slot to PCIe?

Have found a local seller and ordered this: (looks promising)

120c.jpg

Said made in germany. :biggrin: so hope it'll help for good!

P.S Is there something that must be reconfigured in BIOS or somewhere else, after I move the ssd from M.2_2 slot to PCIe?

Nope, Just make sure if the M.2 is your boot drive that it is still selected as your boot drive.

I'll have a look into that PCI-E card with built in heatsink.

Corsair should release a PCI-E card with built in heat sink, I'd buy one instantly.

Corsair should release a ...

I have spoken about this 10 time already :laughing:

They could even release something dumb, like MSI did with their heat shieldwhatever.... that actualy make thing even hotter)

Release something just for "Hey! We heard you!We care!"

In this case I like intel....look at their 750 series. Men used their heads a bit. Hot chips, let's put heatsinks on it!

Meanwhile in Corsair/Samsung/Kingston/OCZ etc: Super-thin copper stripe will definetly handle 100c no problem !

The adapter is called:

Aquacomputer kryoM.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter für M.2 NGFF PCIe SSD costs quite a bit... but surely not like the AngelBird WINGS PX1.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Installed my MP500 today on the Sabertooth X99 that has a little compartment you install M.2's in.

Within minutes it got up to 80'c, I took the little compartment door off to completely expose it and it went down to 70'c with fans circulating a good amount of air.

I read Corsairs stats that 65'c is the upper most operating temp yet even with really good airflow this thing won't drop below 70'c during a game.

Minus watercooling is there anything else I could possibly do ?

Hi,

I want to clarify something, You have no reason to worry and no reason to try and cool down the device if its working within operational temperature range.

The Temperature stated on Corsair page is NOT DEVICE temperature but Operational ROOM temperature 0° ~ 70°C.

The Phison control is rated up to 125C and the temperature diode is inside the controller not near it, so it reads actual temperature.

The device starts to throttle down after it reaches 80C

Basically if it runs below 80, nothing to worry, if it sometimes reaches 80, nothing to worry it will throttle down and then go back to full speed.

If the combination of your cooling and case make it so it always reaches 80C than you have to do soemthing.

I own Asus X99 Sabertooth and the drive is hidden under trap door, all I did was remove the door and it works fine.

There are Chinese full size heatsinks on ebay, below 10$, Aluminum and even heavy full Copper, so no need to buy any expensive adapters or void warranty by gluing stuff, the heat sinks come with 2 temperature resistant rubbers and hold the heatsink without glue.

Right now im using the drive naked, but it going to be Win10 drive on, not even game installs, just the OS and main programs, games have their own personal game only SSD its SATA6 but for games it more than enough, bigger size is more important.

All the info about temperatures I gathered from this page

http://www.legitreviews.com/corsair-force-mp500-480gb-m-2-nvme-ssd-review_189274/3

• 1 year later...

Just purchased MP500 128GB, using in m.2 of lenovo v330 laptop. At installations, updating and stuff the MP500 stayed around 80-81 degree C. Left the laptop turned off overnight and the next morning when booted the MP500 starting temp was 51 degree C and just opening browser while posting this comment with no other activity in system it has reached to 55 degree C. I am worried if it would damage my laptop in any way, but starting at that high temperature doesnt make sense, where the secondary platter drive consistently stays, even while copying, at 30 degree C. Any Idea, should I pull it out or is it normal? Thanks.

Specs: i5 8520U, 8GB, 2GB Radeon 530, MP500 NVMe120, HDD 1TB.

Archived