Corsair Community

Intel D845PEBT2 and Corsair memory

Ricc Smitt

Hello Everyone,

I have an Intel MotherBoard D845PEBT2 running a P4 2.4GHz CPU.

I would like to upgrade the RAM to 2 Gigs (2 Slots only)

Please recommend a 2Gig combination with heat sink. My local computer store says the "TWINX2048-3200C2PT" will not work on this board

Please advise as to the correct twin pack.

Thank you.

Ricc:confused:

Hello Everyone,

I have an Intel MotherBoard D845PEBT2 running a P4 2.4GHz CPU.

I would like to upgrade the RAM to 2 Gigs (2 Slots only)

Please recommend a 2Gig combination with heat sink. My local computer store says the "TWINX2048-3200C2PT" will not work on this board

Please advise as to the correct twin pack.

Thank you.

Roy:confused:

Unfortunately, that Intel motherboard has no provision at all whatsoever to manually adjust the DIMM voltage. And most of the Corsair XMS series DDR modules strongly recommend, if not require, a DIMM voltage setting of 2.7 or 2.75 Volts -- but most boxed Intel-brand motherboards have their DIMM voltage permanently fixed at between 2.5V and 2.6V (the low side of the JEDEC reference).

Second, the i845PE chipset does not run its memory any faster than PC2700/DDR333 (166MHz), so any PC3200 memory installed on the D845PEBT2 will run at PC2700 speed.

With all that said, you may have to settle for a module which has no heatsink at all whatsoever, since most of the heatsink-equipped modules recommend or require a higher-than-standard voltage in order for such a system to run stably.

From what I have seen, the 845 chipset MOBOs do well with PC3200 DIMMs. However, as RJLeong pointed out, they will be run at PC2700 speeds and there is NO GUARANTEE they will work with that MOBO. However, I have built a couple of 845 based systems in the past and they did fine with the 512mb Value Select modules. I'd try a 2gb Value Select kit with it. And, if your local shop sells them, see if they will post it for you before you buy.

Also, I'm sure RAM GUY will post here. The 845 was a solid chipset so I would expect it to run a VS type DIMM just fine.

Mike.

Archived