Corsair Community

h100iv2 best location in an Air740 Case

Traveller_GG

Or - where WOULD you put a h100iv2 radiator in the Air740 case?

Hi all - first post and just picked up an Air740 to replace my 600T (present to myself). Now realising the logistics behind where to put everything is a bit complex!

I've got multiple fans of all sizes (5 x new ll120 RGB jobbies for a laugh) so that's not an issue, but could (should) I fit the radiator in the PSU / Disk bay? Can I even fit the radiator in there?

Once I've worked THAT out, I'm going to have fun trying to work out where to place everything else, but I need to know what my options are with the radiator first. Kind of think I should've thought this through, but it's all a learning exercise :)

Thanks in advance

• Corsair Employee

Hello,

And welcome to the forums! Personally, I would mount it up front with a push config. You could also mount it on top or on the bottom of the case. The nice part about this case, you have plenty of mounting points for the LL120s. But it also depends if you want more aesthetics. I probably would mount the rad up top with the LLs, if you're going for style.

As above. It will work either way. The front rail in my 740 runs about 2-3C cooler than the top of the case (when the radiator is there) and thus the front allows slightly colder liquid temps. However, this is a slight gain at best and I always think it looks funny without a radiator nestled into the top where I have always kept it. You have your choice here.

Thanks both, so fans against the case and the radiator inside of them then? I have this set-up with the radiator mounted on the top at the moment (pull config I guess) but the 600T has specific mount points for this config so it was an obvious set-up.

I didn't think about fans at the bottom. I could use the white LED ones from the existing case on the top and 2 RGB at the bottom for more 'style' :)

As above. It will work either way. The front rail in my 740 runs about 2-3C cooler than the top of the case (when the radiator is there) and thus the front allows slightly colder liquid temps. However, this is a slight gain at best and I always think it looks funny without a radiator nestled into the top where I have always kept it. You have your choice here.

The difference may be even higher if GPU is being pushed really hard dumping hot air at direction of the radiator?

I am totally confused about all the recommendations everywhere about installing aio radiators at top exhausting air. I cannot see this being the best choice except from perhaps dust management.

The difference may be even higher if GPU is being pushed really hard dumping hot air at direction of the radiator?

I am totally confused about all the recommendations everywhere about installing aio radiators at top exhausting air. I cannot see this being the best choice except from perhaps dust management.

So put at the front and push air in through it?

Is it actually possible to have it mounted in the other compartment?

So put at the front and push air in through it?

Is it actually possible to have it mounted in the other compartment?

I'm not an aio expert, installed my first one 4 days ago, you better wait for the experts to comment.

But this is the way I see it (logically) and I'm very curious what they will answer.

Notice: Your possibilities may depend on your specific case too.

It doesn't matter which side of the radiator you place the fans. It is mountable either way. The 600T was particular in that regard. The 740 and most cases are not. Aesthetics are the more dominant factor in the decision, particularly when it comes to RGB fan you want to see or plain fans you prefer to hide. While a bit hypercritical, if you place a fan between the radiator and the case mesh, it is likely to have more air noise than one mounted with a side free on the interior. The blade is interacting with two surfaces instead of one. That does not mean you should mount them all internally, but if you know you tend to dwell on little subtle sound differences, that is an option.

It's good 8 inches from the GPU up to the top mounted radiator. It's not exactly a small box that drowns in its own GPU waste heat. Typically you can move most of it out of the rear exhaust and other vents. However, even with no GPU load, the cooler air in the case will be at the bottom and the warmer at the top. For me, it is about a 3C difference between top and bottom. While that is a small number, most changes in coolant temp from changes like fan type or speed are also small. You take gains where you can get them, if you are interested in maximizing every ounce of performance. That doesn't mean you need to or you should.

My general preference is to dump waste heat directly out of the case whenever possible. That's what the CPU water cooler does -- takes heat from the CPU lid, transports it to the radiator, then the fins and fans disperse it. I like having my front fans unencumbered so they can offer direct cooling for M.2 drives, the PCH, the GPU or whatever else is in that part of the case. However, with room for dual 140mm fans on the bottom, it is not necessary for the front fans to play this role. You can quite easily put the 240mm radiator on the top two rungs of the front rail (with or without a 3rd 120mm intake below), two 140mm fans as intake on the bottom, 140x3 exhaust on top/rear. Any CPU waste heat is going out the top straightaway and you will have plenty of intake directional flow to keep hot air going back and out. You don't have dual or triple GPUs where you need to shoot air between the cards, so I don't really see a downside to this arrangement. The only thing I can scrape up is your VRM temp might be 2-4C higher because your top fans will be 30mm further away from it. However, VRM temps on your board are a complete non-issue. I can't break 50C on my Code X running very high and hard.

It doesn't matter which side of the radiator you place the fans. It is mountable either way. The 600T was particular in that regard. The 740 and most cases are not. Aesthetics are the more dominant factor in the decision, particularly when it comes to RGB fan you want to see or plain fans you prefer to hide. While a bit hypercritical, if you place a fan between the radiator and the case mesh, it is likely to have more air noise than one mounted with a side free on the interior. The blade is interacting with two surfaces instead of one. That does not mean you should mount them all internally, but if you know you tend to dwell on little subtle sound differences, that is an option.

It's good 8 inches from the GPU up to the top mounted radiator. It's not exactly a small box that drowns in its own GPU waste heat. Typically you can move most of it out of the rear exhaust and other vents. However, even with no GPU load, the cooler air in the case will be at the bottom and the warmer at the top. For me, it is about a 3C difference between top and bottom. While that is a small number, most changes in coolant temp from changes like fan type or speed are also small. You take gains where you can get them, if you are interested in maximizing every ounce of performance. That doesn't mean you need to or you should.

My general preference is to dump waste heat directly out of the case whenever possible. That's what the CPU water cooler does -- takes heat from the CPU lid, transports it to the radiator, then the fins and fans disperse it. I like having my front fans unencumbered so they can offer direct cooling for M.2 drives, the PCH, the GPU or whatever else is in that part of the case. However, with room for dual 140mm fans on the bottom, it is not necessary for the front fans to play this role. You can quite easily put the 240mm radiator on the top two rungs of the front rail (with or without a 3rd 120mm intake below), two 140mm fans as intake on the bottom, 140x3 exhaust on top/rear. Any CPU waste heat is going out the top straightaway and you will have plenty of intake directional flow to keep hot air going back and out. You don't have dual or triple GPUs where you need to shoot air between the cards, so I don't really see a downside to this arrangement. The only thing I can scrape up is your VRM temp might be 2-4C higher because your top fans will be 30mm further away from it. However, VRM temps on your board are a complete non-issue. I can't break 50C on my Code X running very high and hard.

Awesome response! Thank you very much :)

Archived