Corsair Community

Raid 0 with 1x Corsair F120 and 1x Corsair Force 3 120 GB

rEaX

Hello

I have a question about using raid 0 with different speed SSDs.

Currently I have a Corsair Force F120 (120GB) and I am now in urgent need of expanding that storage as it is currently filled up.

My plan when I first bought it was to buy a second of the same disk and put it in RAID 0 when it was needed and now it is. The only problem now is that the merchants where I live have stopped selling the F120 model and they are now only selling Force 3 and higher.

So my question.

Will I be able to buy a corsair force 3 120gb and put it in a raid 0 array together with my current F120.

If it works, how well will it work? Will I encounter a lot of freezes, bluescreens, performance losses and so on?

How does raid arrays with different speed disks work generally? Will the fastest disk run at the same speed as the slow one automatically and bring me the same result as if I had 2 identical slow drives?

I should mention that I have a Asus P6T SE mainboard which only supports SATA 2.

I am thankful for any help I can get.

I've been talking to a store which say they have a few F120 left in stock so this is no longer an issue for me.

However if anyone could provide some information about mixing two different speed SSDs in a raid0 anyway for educational purpose then that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Archived