Corsair Community

Problem Enabling Hardware Lighting "Rainbow Wave" for LL120 fans

2blentendre

Hello all, first post here.

I recently finished building a beautiful 500D SE build with an Asus Maximus XI Code and 9900k. I have a H150i AIO front-mounted with 3x LL120 fans, 2x LL140 fans on top and a single LL120 exhaust fan.

All of these are linked appropriately according to Zotty's diagrams (THANK YOU!!). Everything functions beautiful except that I cannot save "Rainbow Wave" as part of the Hardware Lighting option.

Rainbow wave works perfectly when iCUE is running, however as soon as I shut the program or restart the computer, all of the fans switch to the "demo mode rainbow" instead of the default "Rainbow Wave" that I have them set to.

If I switch to any other option for Hardware Lighting (for example Color Shift), it works perfectly! The only option not working is "Rainbow Wave," which is the one I really only care about.

Any advice please? Should I downgrade to a previous version of iCUE? Is this a known bug?

I've noticed that the Hardware "Rainbow Wave" is different than the Software "Rainbow Wave". That's why there is a discrepancy. I'd personally prefer the Hardware version and would like to set the Hardware version of "Rainbow Wave" in software, too.

Maybe they should change the names in the next update to reflect the difference and ensure both are available for hardware and software.

I've noticed that the Hardware "Rainbow Wave" is different than the Software "Rainbow Wave". That's why there is a discrepancy. I'd personally prefer the Hardware version and would like to set the Hardware version of "Rainbow Wave" in software, too.

Maybe they should change the names in the next update to reflect the difference and ensure both are available for hardware and software.

Hi thanks for your response. I don't think that's the problem, because when you click on the desired effect under "Hardware Lighting" it gives a preview. The preview I'm given for "Rainbow Wave" under Hardware Lighting is the same as the Software Lighting.

Yes! This is the exact issue that I'm describing. Any solutions? Does anyone else have this issue besides us?

I asked Zotty to chime in, hopefully he'll provide a solution.

Is this the issue you're experiencing? Sounds like the same issue I am experiencing.

If so, I've reported it several times and I never receive any responses on this.

Is this the issue you're experiencing? Sounds like the same issue I am experiencing.

If so, I've reported it several times and I never receive any responses on this.

Yes, that's how it is for me as well (which I'm fine with since I like the other one better).

However, while I was testing some older versions of iCue, I noticed that any regular Lighting profiles I applied were saved in hardware (still were applied on bootup). So maybe that would be a workaround, but it could have been a glitch as well. I'm not sure which version it was since I tested so many and I was testing to see if any of them fix the USB Disconnect issues with Platinum coolers (sadly, none did), but I think it was 3.9.93 or 3.8.91 I found on the web somewhere. So you might try those older version until they fix it.

Edited by Glzmo

It's nice to know I'm not the only person experiencing this.

This started happening when they added hardware playback support 3 updates ago. I've created topics on it and have posted this issue to the new release thread every time with zero advice given back to me. It's starting to irritate me. I didn't spend a hell of a lot of money on Corsair products for them to not do what I want. I enjoy the rainbow wave light show that my PC used to do on boot/wake before the HW playback update. Now I get this crap.

I just want my rainbow wave back.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When I first got LL120 this was not an issue back in April 2019 Rainbow Wave worked as intended I have LL120's on Corsair h100i rgb plat and rainbow wave via hardware lighting works fine so its very annoying when my 3 top and 3 front fans are doing Rainbow channel(which is like sequential) instead of rainbow wave while my cpu cooler/2 fans on side are doing rainbow wave. Rainbow wave is the effect I want. Really not sure how this hasn't been fixed I am assuming its been like this since the last Lighting Node Pro firmware update which was quite a while ago seems like a simple fix to me that's being ignored for way too long especially for the price of these fans in Canada 150$ for 3pack.

The preview for hardware lighting Rainbow Wave is how its supposed to be however when applied and ICue closed or system is booting up you get Rainbow Channel effect. So Rainbow Channel/Rainbow Wave currently give the same effect and this isn't an issue on my H100i rgb plat but h100i doesn't have a Rainbow Channel effect either so that likely why rainbow wave isn't broke on that.

With games using denuvo and sometimes VRM protect like Assassin's Creed odyssey and origins they use a ridiculous amount of CPU usage. So I need to have ICue closed to maximize amount of free CPU Usage so anytime I play cpu heavy titles like this I am stuck having rainbow channel on my top/front fans and my h100i doing rainbow wave. Only other option is to choose different effect problem is my favorite is Rainbow wave and that's what I want to use.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Argh... November 2020 and I also was researching this exact same issue. I have the SP120 RGB Pro (the ARGB version) and Rainbow Wave will not save as a Hardware Profile and instead goes to the default Rainbow/Demo mode but all other hardware modes work.

Insane that Corsair charges this much and hasn't fixed this issue in almost two years.

Are old versions of iCUE that don't have this issue available somewhere?

EDIT: I found some old versions here: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7070-corsair-utility-engine.html

They only sort of fix the problem. I tried 3.19.120 and it does update the Hardware profile but there are issues:

1) The "Rainbow Wave" that is saved to hardware is once again a different version than the software version. It is nicer that the version that came installed with the fans but still not as good as the latest software Rainbow Wave.

2) Even the software version of Rainbow Wave is different from 3.19.120 compared to the latest version. The last software version of Rainbow Wave is IMO the most superior but it is super annoying that the current hardware version is pretty lame. The old software version of Rainbow Wave is inferior because it alternates the same pattern every other fan, so if you have 3 fans, 2 of them will have the exact same pattern as each other.

3) This is all super confusing because this means that there are at least 4 different versions of Rainbow Wave and they vary depending on what version of the software you use.

Based on my observations, I suspect that the functionality is limited by the controller itself. I think that the controller isn't smart enough to be able to store the latest versions of the Rainbow Wave on the hardware. Both of the hardware versions that do work are relatively simple.

If you need to choose between the best software or hardware controlled versions then IMO:

Software - The current version of iCUE is the best

Hardware - The oldest version of iCUE (3.19.120) is the best (but not as good as the current software version)

Also, FYI, if you try to go back and forth between versions, I recommend that you uninstall the prior version and check the box to delete all stored information. The reason why is that at some point, Corsair changed how they handle ARGB fans in order to support having 2 tiers of LEDs on each fan. The older versions don't support these separately and that is part of why the current Rainbow Wave software version is the best. If you simply upgrade from an older version, Corsair will use the older profile version and the Rainbow Wave that you get will not be as nice. Also, the old software versions only alternate the wave every-other fan instead of having unique colors for all 6 fans.

Edited by SoCalRGB

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i have a similar problem.

When "Rainbow Wave" is selected from hardware Lighting, "Rainbow Wave" works, but when icue program is closed, it works as "Rainbow Channel"

Lighting Node core firmware v.0.9.16

icue Software 3.35.152

• 1 month later...