Corsair Community

Flying with Corsair One i160 (emptying / filling?)

msa

Hi all, there was no dedicated forum for the Corsair One i160, so this is closest one I could find.

I have just ordered a Corsair i160, with the aim of travelling with it in a pelicase taking it onboard planes (I'm an audio visual artist and require hi-spec gaming PC for live performances).

However I just realised it's liquid cooled. I have two questions:

1. Do you know if it's allowed to take the i160 onboard the plane?

2. If it is NOT allowed (due to liquid cooling), is it easy to relatively straightforward to empty the cooling system before I board the plane, and refill it after I land?

cheers,

M.

1) I think a lot of this is going to depend on where in the world you are flying from/to. I can only speak for the US/TSA side as of late, and frankly I would not want to be behind you going through security. Whether or not you have exceeded the 100 mL "liquid limit" is not going to come up. You have have a complex electronic device in a bag. I would think at best, they are going to make you power it up and demonstrate. On the other hand, I get/see such massively different treatment every single time. There is a definite element of random chance if you flying in the US.

2) Nope. You cannot drain it. It's a closed loop cooler not meant to be filled or emptied. This actually plays to your advantage for travel. I would not attempt it with an actual pump/reservoir stand alone set-up. However, as suggested above, I don't think anyone is going to be looking at the Xray and think, "oh, that might be 150 mL of liquid. Flag him." The overall presence of the an unorthodox device is going to get you noticed.

ok, thanks for the answer. I have flown before with mac minis, shuttle PCs, and bags full of arduinos and sensors. Yes they do stop and ask lots of questions (and being originally from the middle east doesn't help). But I explain what it is and why I have it, and they let me through (sometimes even asking for PC advice). So that I'm used to. But the liquid aspect of this PC is slightly freaking me out. Even with a pelicase, I do *not* want to check it in as luggage.

• 5 months later...
ok, thanks for the answer. I have flown before with mac minis, shuttle PCs, and bags full of arduinos and sensors. Yes they do stop and ask lots of questions (and being originally from the middle east doesn't help). But I explain what it is and why I have it, and they let me through (sometimes even asking for PC advice). So that I'm used to. But the liquid aspect of this PC is slightly freaking me out. Even with a pelicase, I do *not* want to check it in as luggage.

Have you traveled with the PC as of yet? I am looking to purchase one for the sole reason that it is portable, but would like to confirm that it is feasible to take on an airplane in a carry-on.

Yes I have flown with the PC many times now. It just about fits into the peli air 1535, and that is of allowable size for carry on. I have not run into any issues regarding the liquid cooling. Every single time security makes me open the peli case and asks what it is, but then let me through. HOWEVER, once (in germany) I was asked to weigh the case, and it came in at 13Kg, which is above the standard limit of 8Kg for carry ons. They did not want to let me take it on, ordering that I check the case in - which I adamently refused (since the protection in the pelicase is rather thin and weak). I argued all the way to the highest level, getting managers etc involved, and was allowed to take the case onboard - not putting it in the overhead storage, but it was taken onboard into a separate private area (I believe where the crew store their bags). I believe this was a favour they did to me that I will not be able to pull again. So I'm really hesitant to fly with it again unfortunately due to the weight.

• Corsair Employee
Hey msa, it's kind of a tough answer. Like c-attack mentioned, it depends where and to you're going. We've heard from some customers that they were able to bring it as a carryon, and you're not able to drain the fluid. So, it really depends on whether security allows your to bring it on or not.