Corsair Community

Upgrade ram 48GB

dihi

Dear all

I want to increase ram size from 16gb to 48 gb.

Current spec:

Mobo asus x99 pro(8 dimms 64GB Max ram support)

Cpu 5820k

Ram 4x4gb 2666 Cl16 corsair vengeance lpx

Cpu cooling H80igt corsair

I want to add 4x8gb 2666 Cl16 vengeance lpx.

First ,do you thinks that it is a good configuration for rams and is it stable?

Second, can i use four 8gb in different kit instead of 4x8gb in quad channel?

Third, does it need cooling for ram because all the slot are filled?. I will not overclock.

Generally, it is not recommended to combine different memory kits, even when they are the exact same model. There is no guarantee they will work when together and mixing two different density modules (4 & 8GB) will really stack the odds against you. This is likely a difficult and frustrating path.

If you think 16GB is no longer sufficient, buy the 32GB (4 x 8GB) you want with the desired frequency and timings and use it alone. Very few people can actually use 32GB worth of memory, but if you are in that select group, the next step would 64GB as either 8x8 or 4x16GB. There is a lot of cost in this and since memory upgrades tend to be full replacements, I would not overspend beyond what you can use right now or the immediate future. I think the sweet spot on X99 is either at 2666 or 3200 and would buy the lowest CAS latency kit at that speed that fit my budget. Of course, a 3200C16 kit can be run at 2666 with lower timings than you have now.

As long as you have normal case fans in operation and/or don't have some sort of extreme climate elements to deal with, you don't need a memory specific fan with DDR4. I am running 4 modules at 3200MHz/C15 on a X99 and I could barely get them to register on my thermal camera after 30 minutes of an AIDA stress test. They are one of the coolest components in the system. Your VRM temperature on X99 is the most likely candidate for a fan, although most people can get by with standard top case fans.

Archived