Corsair Community

RM650x not shutting off completely

Jeff L

​​​​​Hi! I bought a new Corsair RM650x five months ago and recently I have noticed that after my PC with Win 8.1 shuts down (by way of WIN-I Power/Shutdown) that the LED lights on my two sticks of RAM are still blinking on and off. At first I figured my Asus H81-E motherboard (Intel i5) developed a fault but yesterday I installed a new front fan (which is connected DIRECTLY to the PSU...not plugged into the motherboard) and the fan also stays on. So this leads me to think that the PSU is leaking some voltage when powered off.

The only way to remedy this is to turn the hard switch off at the back of the PSU. I suppose I can live with turning it off this way, but I'm a little concerned that the voltage problem could get worse.

Is it RMA time?

Thanks.

Jeff

BTW, I do not overclock and my case is well ventilated. The PSU fan has never come on when I'm in Windows. It only comes on briefly on boot up.

I've decided I can live with this issue. But can anyone tell me if it's ok to switch the power supply off every night? Will that little rocker switch wear out? Or is it better to unplug? (Yes, I know the motherboard battery will drain faster...I can live with that)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

That's normal i guess, mine also rm650x and all the led in mobo is blinking. Anyway it only consume really small power and i think that's the way u know the electricity running into you mobo. Did your psu happen like this too? It turn off twice then running normal( but that's only happen when I plug off the power cord from psu and plug it back)

[ame]

[/ame]

I've decided I can live with this issue. But can anyone tell me if it's ok to switch the power supply off every night? Will that little rocker switch wear out? Or is it better to unplug? (Yes, I know the motherboard battery will drain faster...I can live with that)

Thanks!

Hello there,

You don't have to switch off the PSU every night. You are perfectly fine with just leaving it off.

However, may I ask the purpose of plugging in the fan directly to the PSU? Why not use a fan splitter so you can plug in two fans into one motherboard fan header?

Sorry, I haven't checked back here in awhile.

Firstly, I have had this PSU since January and one night in May the ram lights just started blinking when the PC was powered off. It never did this before. It lights up my room (and drives me crazy), so trust me I would know if it had done that from the beginning.

Previously only the motherboard light (one green LED) would light up when off, which was never an issue. So maybe it's not a PSU problem (that's fine) but I'm just saying, it never happened for the first 5 months.

As for the fan plugged directly, I wanted this particular fan to run full speed...luckily it doesn't make any noise doing so. I think after awhile it does spin down (PC off) but it takes awhile.

Anyway, I've been unplugging my PC lately. but what I might do in future is put something over the window to block the LED lighting.

Archived