Corsair Community

New memory running at 1066Mhz instead of 1600Mhz

garywood84

I have today received replacement memory from Corsair after my original was RMA-ed. The new memory is CMX12GX3M3A1600C9. I installed this in my computer and it works fine, except that it's running at 1066Mhz, when it's rated as 1600Mhz. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R (rev. 2.0).

I've looked in the BIOS but confess to not really understanding all of the options. I did some searching online and found some people recommending turning on XMP, so I checked back in my BIOS and can do this, but with two Profiles (1&2). I've tried both of these and the memory then seems to run at 1600Mhz with apparently no ill effects.

However, is this the correct way to be using the memory? What's the difference between Profile1 & Profile2? I'd really appreciate any clarification anyone can give me on this.

Many thanks,

Gary

However, is this the correct way to be using the memory? What's the difference between Profile1 & Profile2?

Yes this is the correct way to overclock the memory. Profiles are just different frequencies or may be different for different CPU's . You should need P1 for 1600mhz. Just enable that , save your changes in the BIOPS and reboot! You may need to raise QPI voltage if XMP does not do that for you.

this is the correct way to overclock the memory.

Thanks for this, peanutz94. Just to check, though - I don't want to overclock the memory, but it's stock speed is supposed to be 1600Mhz, and it was only running at 1066Mhz before I changed to XMP profile 1. Is this correct?

• Corsair Employee
The memory speed supported on X58 is DDR1066 so DDR1600 would be an over clock for that platform. Most Intel CPU's will be able to over clock the memory frequency to DDR1600 with little or no problem.

Archived