Corsair Community

Best AIO for 8700k?

DANiMALxMD

Hey guys, having a tough time deciding which AIO to get for an 8700k. My case will most likely be a 570x Mirror and I will probly only overclock using the intel turbo boost(wont be using asus multi core enhancement)...which technically is still spec/stock. Im not the tech-iest person so not sure if i'll dabble into manual OCing or anything crazy like delidding. My plan is for an RGB build so i will be replacing most if not all fans with LL 120s and 140s. Also, im not too sensitive to noise as my current 10 year old rig is sitting on the floor with the side panel off and i can hear every fan inside lol.

Right now, im "going with" the H115i Pro 280mm.

I have read very mixed reviews on the 150i pro. OC3D TV (youtube) has this thing basically being the best AIO of all time (lol). Toms Hardware had it performing poorly, Gamers Nexus (youtube) had it basically being another basic AIO.

Also from what ive gathered, it seems since the TIM on the 8700k sucks, so at a certain point, the actual AIO wont matter because the processor isn't properly transporting heat to the IHS causing diminishing returns in something like the 360mm. Which why ive decided on the 115i Pro 280.

My thoughts on getting the h115i pro 280:

PROS:

-cheaper for questionably,speculatively,etc same performance

-simpler set up in case as opposed to potentially having 9 fans in my case (zotty i know you got us covered just in case :biggrin:)

CONS:

-i cant front mount it to intake cool outside air because it will mess up the 3 120s in the front (im replacing everything with LLs for an aesthetic RGB build)

-not sure if push/pull is possible on top

Interested to hear some thoughts or if im an idiot. Thanks!

simpler set up in case as opposed to potentially having 9 fans in my case (zotty i know you got us covered just in case :biggrin:)

:D::D: I do!

but still.. I am not sure why you wouldn't go for the H150i given you are buying a case it was designed to fit ;).. but a man has to do what a man has to do lol

One thing to keep in mind if you are decided on the 570x, is the 280mm H115i Pro may not be as flexible as you think. It still has to be front mounted. You may wish to consider how 2x140 will look on the front. The 3x120 RGB front fascia is something of a signature look that appeals to many.

In terms of maximal cooling performance, a 280mm and 360mm of similar thickness are very close, with fan type and/or speed likely making the small difference. However, at lower speeds, the 360 is going to be more effective. 3x120@800 is going to provide better performance than 2x140@600-650 (likely a nosie equivalent). If you want a low noise profile, the H150i may have an edge.

You don't have to forgo the SP120 RGB front 3x120 with the cooler. You can use them with H150i Pro. You will need a different fan controller besides the pump (motherboard, C-Pro, etc), but this is certainly viable -- even more so if you can set to 900 and forget about it. You can also leave the SP120 RGB on the front and set the ML fans on the back side for push pull. Now you can really run low speeds and still get good cooling.

My coolant delta with a 8700K at 5.0/1.30v is pretty small. It tops out about +6C more CPU loads and gaming. So no, there is not a lot of performance gain to be had, but you can do it with a lot less noise. I do think the 360 is the more natural fit for that case, but you will need to decide if the extra expense is worth it to you.

One thing to keep in mind if you are decided on the 570x, is the 280mm H115i Pro may not be as flexible as you think. It still has to be front mounted. You may wish to consider how 2x140 will look on the front. The 3x120 RGB front fascia is something of a signature look that appeals to many.

In terms of maximal cooling performance, a 280mm and 360mm of similar thickness are very close, with fan type and/or speed likely making the small difference. However, at lower speeds, the 360 is going to be more effective. 3x120@800 is going to provide better performance than 2x140@600-650 (likely a nosie equivalent). If you want a low noise profile, the H150i may have an edge.

You don't have to forgo the SP120 RGB front 3x120 with the cooler. You can use them with H150i Pro. You will need a different fan controller besides the pump (motherboard, C-Pro, etc), but this is certainly viable -- even more so if you can set to 900 and forget about it. You can also leave the SP120 RGB on the front and set the ML fans on the back side for push pull. Now you can really run low speeds and still get good cooling.

My coolant delta with a 8700K at 5.0/1.30v is pretty small. It tops out about +6C more CPU loads and gaming. So no, there is not a lot of performance gain to be had, but you can do it with a lot less noise. I do think the 360 is the more natural fit for that case, but you will need to decide if the extra expense is worth it to you.

Thanks for the input. Still got some thinking to do.

• 1 month later...

I have the Crystal Mirror 570X, I originally bought the 280 mm radiator with the intention to top mount it as an exhaust as the mirrored version apparently supported the larger size. However that was a lie.

So I took it back, got the 150i and installed that in the front as the intake with 3 ML120 RGBs upfront and the other 3 ML120 non-RGB fans that came with it attached to the rear of the radiator.

With this set up I've got my 8700k overclocked to around 4.7Ghz and its hitting around 50-55 celsius under load, sitting around 20-30 on idle.

So I took it back, got the 150i and installed that in the front as the intake with 3 ML120 RGBs upfront and the other 3 ML120 non-RGB fans that came with it attached to the rear or the radiator.

With this set up I've got my 8700k overclocked to around 4.7Ghz and its hitting around 50-55 celsius under load, sitting around 20-30 on idle.

Glad you happy with the results buddy :)... great Case.. great Cooler :)

I have the Crystal Mirror 570X, I originally bought the 280 mm radiator with the intention to top mount it as an exhaust as the mirrored version apparently supported the larger size. However that was a lie.

Yes, I remember this discrepancy with the Mirror Black version saying in one place it was 280mm top compatible and then on the front page only listing 240/360. I can't even pull up that case page now. The other 570x versions have a similar conflict with the H110 listed as compatible (it will fit on the front) but the other parts of the page specifically list 120/240/360mm sizes only.

Regardless, the H150i is definitely the natural fit for that case, so in the end I think you wound up with the right one.

So I took it back, got the 150i and installed that in the front as the intake with 3 ML120 RGBs upfront and the other 3 ML120 non-RGB fans that came with it attached to the rear of the radiator.

Did you oc' to 5gh or more how much is the temps can you tell.

Did you buy 570x corsair case for this build. All corsair case top mount is not suffice for the dual push pull or even single with recent spiked vrm's

I currently have the H115i cooler on my 8700k system. I've had it for a while and it was originally on my 4790k system. It's not a bad cooler performance-wise but it's nothing special. The SP140 fans that came with it were loud.. I had to replace them with ML140s because the fan noise was annoying me. I'm assuming the "PRO" version comes with these however. Best overclock I could achieve was 4.8Ghz @ 1.265V. The max core temps when running the latest realbench were about 85C, that's about as high as I'm comfortable with.

Something to be careful of with this AIO (and any other Asutek based AIO) is the crappy mounting mechanism and Corsair's instructions that tell you to "tighten the screws firmly until secure". Even just hand tight the mounting pressure and poor back plate design can cause your motherboard to flex and bend the metal back plate of the CPU clamp. It happened on two of my motherboards and in a recent JayzTwoCents video you can see the same thing on an NZXT prebuilt system. I made a thread in this section if you want more info. But the tl;dr is if you buy one of these, be very gentle when doing up the thumb screws regardless of what Corsair's instructions say.

I am now ditching my H115i for an EK custom loop.

Archived