Corsair Community

12GB RAM, only 10GB Usable and showing in BIOS - TR3X6G1333C7

Spankfish

I have a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard with 12GB of TR3X6G1333C7. The board has DDR3 voltage of 1.5V and the TR3X6G1333C7 has 1.65V, but has XMP. All other information regarding specs should be at the end (I hope - first time posting).

Based on this I set the XMP to Profile 1, which set the voltage to 1.65 in BIOS.

Everything appeared to be running well, but every couple of days I'd find that the computer had just crashed with a blank screen, not even a BSOD. I'd reboot and everything ran well until the next crash. It was then that I noticed in Windows 7 it shows 12GB (10GB usable).

I went to MS config and saw that it had changed to a selective startup, rather than a normal startup. I assumed this was due to the crashing. So I set back to normal, thinking this was the reason 2 GB was not being used, but the problem remained.

When I boot to BIOS I can now see that it only shows the 10GB.

I tried disabling XMP Profile and the 12GB shows again in BIOS, but as soon as I get to Windows it crashes with BSOD, which I assume is voltage related.

So I'm pretty confident that the XMP has to be set to Profile 1. The Corsair website says the RAM is compatible with the mobo.

Can anyone advise if this could be a BIOS tweaking issue, or a faulty stick of RAM. If it is the former, what additional tweaking do I need to get all 12GB running and stop the crashing, and if it is likely to be the latter, what is my best process to identify the offending stick. (3rd options welcomed!)

I ram MEMTEST 4.01, but only once with all 6 sticks installed, and it didn't find any errors. However I'm new to MEMTEST so might need some guidance in using it.

Hope someone can help. Apologies if you've seen this before, but I searched the forums and couldn't find anything.

UPDATE: I have found forums now, must have not been able to search properly until I registered. I'd still like assistance/advice though, as I'm not trying to overclock, which a lot of the advice seems to relate to. As the amount of RAM shows when I set to 1.5V, I'm hoping it's a tweaking issue to do with the XMP, but at the same time, I was of the understanding that XMP is meant to manage everything for you so you don't have to tweak. It's this sort of background guidance that I'd really appreciate, so I know where to start investigating, and what the more likely causes of the problem are. Thanks again, great forum, and great customer service from what I can see via RAMGUY.

Cheers

Andy

Hi, I've tested the sets and they both appear fine. Now I've reinstalled 12GB is showing in BIOS but only 11.5 is showing as Usable in Windows. So things are better, but still a little annoying that 1/2 a GB if RAM is not usable, and not clear why.

I'm going to try and reseat the 2 sets or ram and see if that makes a difference.

No, didn't work still showing the 11.5GB of RAM using the XMP Profile and the 1.64 VRAM and QPI/VTT Voltage to 1.34 (motherboard won't let me put the exact figures) suggested by you and still get the same results.

I haven't gone to the next step of swapping every stick in every slot. Don't really want to, except as a last resort, particularly when I'm not overclocking.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Cheers

Andy

• 1 month later...

Did you ever solve this issue im have the same problem with 12gb only showing 10gb sometimes 8gb. it also shows 12gb but after 15mins the pc freeze.

i have tried moving all ram to different slots also individually 2gb at a time all working can anyone please help me!!

Thanks in advance

Wez

Hi, I've tested the sets and they both appear fine. Now I've reinstalled 12GB is showing in BIOS but only 11.5 is showing as Usable in Windows. So things are better, but still a little annoying that 1/2 a GB if RAM is not usable, and not clear why.

I'm going to try and reseat the 2 sets or ram and see if that makes a difference.

You have to remember that other components in your system reserves some memory, so this is normal.

So 11,5GB usable fore windows is nice, and indicates all your ram sticks are OK.

Here are some info fore you.

Installed Memory vs RAM Usable by Windows

- http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=541&Itemid=38

The usable memory may be less than the installed memory on Windows 7-based computers

- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978610/en-us

Archived