Corsair Community

8 GB Corsair ram on Asus P5W DH Deluxe

vassiliosm

i have an Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard (i975X chipset)

i need to upgrade to 8 GB of ram for a specific purpose ,system is running

almost 2 years now rock stable (NOT overclocked , all on stock speeds

air cooled) but with only 2 GB ram (2x1) .

i found those 2 types of ram :

1. Corsair TWIN2X kit 2x2GB PC6400 800Mhz-555 XMS2 DHX

2. Corsair TWIN2X kit 2x2GB PC6400 800Mhz-444 XMS2-DHX

obviously to have a total of 8 GB i need 2 kits , my question is :

which kit is better for my motherboard considering that i'm willing

to use 8 GB of ram ? do i have to do any tweaks in bios configuration

or they should run without any issues ?

Thank you.

Keep in mind that you need to enabled the "Memory Remap" feature in your BIOS before you install Windows. If you install 8GB and enable this feature, you will need to re-install Windows as the kernel reacts differently with memory addressing. This is an OS issue and must be followed. Keep in mind that you will also need an full 64bit Operating System to "see" the entire 4GB. Windows/Vista 32bit will not see the full 4GB of DRAM. Again, this is a limitation of the OS and there is NO workaround.

Secondly, check the memory amount in BIOS during bootup. If it shows less than 4096MB there then NOTHING you do in Vista will increase the ram amount.

Your board will default to a lower bandwidth with a four slot population. In other words, if you install 4 X 2048 of 6400C5DHX modules, your board will default from 800Mhz to 667Mhz. This is necessary as the on motherboard memory controller now has to do double duty loading and accessing the memory of four slots rather than two slots. Do not try and set manually to 800Mhz or you will just have issues.

So, if you intend on going this way,

Keep in mind that you need to enabled the "Memory Remap" feature in your BIOS before you install Windows. If you install 8GB and enable this feature, you will need to re-install Windows as the kernel reacts differently with memory addressing. This is an OS issue and must be followed. Keep in mind that you will also need an full 64bit Operating System to "see" the entire 4GB. Windows/Vista 32bit will not see the full 4GB of DRAM. Again, this is a limitation of the OS and there is NO workaround.

Secondly, check the memory amount in BIOS during bootup. If it shows less than 4096MB there then NOTHING you do in Vista will increase the ram amount.

Your board will default to a lower bandwidth with a four slot population. In other words, if you install 4 X 2048 of 6400C5DHX modules, your board will default from 800Mhz to 667Mhz. This is necessary as the on motherboard memory controller now has to do double duty loading and accessing the memory of four slots rather than two slots. Do not try and set manually to 800Mhz or you will just have issues.

So, if you intend on going this way,

yes ,ofcourse i know i have to use Vista 64 bit and re-install OS ,this is not

a problem ...

the problem is that if memory will run at 667 instead of 800 then i think

it would be a better idea to buy only 4 GB (2x2) instead of 8 and possibly

the faster ones 4-4-4 ..... or do you think that also with 4 GB i might still

have any kind of issue ???

No with 2 modules they will run at DDR800, it is only when you have 4 modules installed you would be limited to DDR667.

ok ,so it's better to forget the 8 GB and go with high quality 4 GB

so between those two i suppose the 2. is the better choise right ?

is there any better/faster ram than this i could use with my motherboard

WITHOUT creating any kind of issues ?

thank you.

ok ,so it's better to forget the 8 GB and go with high quality 4 GB

so between those two i suppose the 2. is the better choise right ?

is there any better/faster ram than this i could use with my motherboard

WITHOUT creating any kind of issues ?

thank you.

With that board, I would go with #1.

D

Hi RAM GUY !!!

Thank u for the informations u gave us.

I Have the same board (Asus P5W DH Deluxe), 6 Gb RAM DDR2 800 installed, but the bios shows as folows:

Mem. Total: 6144 Mb

Appropriated: 1408 Mb

Available: 2688 Mb

Memory remap disabled, because I HAVE to use Win XP Server 2003 enterprise 32 bit - that sould recognizes a max. of 64 Gb of RAM total.

Of course I still only use 2 Gb per program/process because of a 32 bit OS limit, but for example, I wanna have a 8GB total, and use at same time 4 softwares, using max. 2Gb each one.

OBS 1... According to microsoft specifications and other forum searches. Win Server 2003 enterprise MUST recognizes 64 Gb.

OBS 2... According to Asus manuals, I CAN use 8 GB in that OS (server 2003, 32 bit)..So I think I must leave the "memory remap" disable...as I Know, it works only for 64bit OS

OBS 3... When I was with 4GB (4x1), the bios showed up the same values as I described above, now with 6GB.

OBS 4... trying to enable memory remap, Bios recognizes all 6Gb OK, but the OS only shows 2Gb.

The strange thing is that the "apropriated" RAM I can understand as the MB use it for some internal resources (I don´t like, but).. but 1408 (apropriated) + 2688 (avail) = 4096... where is the rest to go to the 6gb?

Maybe if I enable memory remap and re-install the OS, even it is 32 bit?

Thank you!!!

I´m getting crazy here..lol

at the end i got 1 kit of those :

Corsair TWIN2X kit 2x2GB PC6400 800Mhz-444 XMS2-DHX

how should i configure them in the bios of the Asus P5W DH Deluxe ???

by spd they work 5-5-5-18-5 and everything is ok

when i changed them to 4-4-4-12-5 (tried also 4-4-4-12-4) i got a lockup

after playing a game for a couple of hours so i run memetest86+ v2.01

and infact i got many errors ....

when i run it with memory configured by spd 555-18 everything ok !!!

shouldn't this memory run at 4-4-4-12 ???? am i doing something wrong ???

thank you

4-4-4-12 at 2T CR and TRC 24 any other settings not listed should be set to Auto or BIOS default. At 2.1 Volts.

ok tried 4-4-4-12-4 with 2.1 volts and memtest86+ reported no errors

before the voltage was set to auto ... so i guess auto for my MB means

les than 2.1 :D

what is 2T CR and TRC 24 ? didn't notice those ... could you

write in detail what CR and TRC stands for ? maybe in my bios are writen

in a different way ....

thanks anyway for your help, computer looks stable now and passed also

the memtest86+ that failed before setting manualy the voltage to 2.1 :)

• 2 weeks later...
The slower speed is something I have have not heard before when using 4 modules instead of 2. I looked at the manufactures website trying to find such because I am looking to upgrade to 8GB's while it's cheap (currently have 4 x 1GB 5-5-5-15 800mhz memspec I think) and looking at going 4 x 2GB 4-4-4-12 800mhz. I also have the p5w-dh. Can you point me to some documentation etc explaining why I can't run 4 x ???? DDR2 800mhz modules at 800mhz on a 975x chipset?

4-4-4-12 at 2T CR and TRC 24 any other settings not listed should be set to Auto or BIOS default. At 2.1 Volts.

it worked fine but i got a new cpu , an E8400 , now i have a 1333 fsb

so the memory works at 834 (not 800 as it was before) and now i get again errors when i run memtest86+ v2.01

what should i do ?

change mch voltage ? or something else ? all options are set to auto

except timings that are 4-4-4-12-4 and voltage that is 2.1

thank you.

The slower speed is something I have have not heard before when using 4 modules instead of 2. I looked at the manufactures website trying to find such because I am looking to upgrade to 8GB's while it's cheap (currently have 4 x 1GB 5-5-5-15 800mhz memspec I think) and looking at going 4 x 2GB 4-4-4-12 800mhz. I also have the p5w-dh. Can you point me to some documentation etc explaining why I can't run 4 x ???? DDR2 800mhz modules at 800mhz on a 975x chipset?

It's not a good idea and it is advised to run four DRAM banks at the lesser speed as by doubling the slots, you have increased the workload on the motherboards memory controller. It can not keep up to the full speed of a two DRAM slot population when you populate with four DRAM slots. Often there are long term issues that arise and which damage the motherboards memory controller if you try and run it with a four DRAM slot configuration at the full speed of a two DRAM slot configuration.

You can try to get them to work, but you might well have long term effects which can result in damage as mentioned above. Better to set the DRAM to 667Mhz. Otherwise you very likely will receive DRAM from RMA that works fine, and when you populate all four DRAM slots, you will sooner or later find errors. Sooner usually is erred DRAM, later it is the on motherboard memory controller or DRAM slots that are damaged.

This is not an issue of the DRAM, it is an issue of the memory controller that is situated on the CPU (AMD) or Motherboard (Intel).

You may not have heard of this issue but research any DRAM site or any computer hardware site and you will see this issue repeated consistently.

My advice is to move to 2 X 2048. You will lose the possibility of damage to your hardware, both motherboard, DRAM or both.

it worked fine but i got a new cpu , an E8400 , now i have a 1333 fsb

so the memory works at 834 (not 800 as it was before) and now i get again errors when i run memtest86+ v2.01

what should i do ?

change mch voltage ? or something else ? all options are set to auto

except timings that are 4-4-4-12-4 and voltage that is 2.1

Set your Timings to 5-4-4-12-4, with 2.1v and retest.

I would agree with DerekT!

and infact he was right :D

set it to 5-4-4-12-4 with 2.1 v and everything works fine !!!! :)

even now that the fsb is set to 1333 and ram to 834 ...

run also memtest86+ v2.01 from DOS and memtest 3.6 from XP sp2

and had no errors at all :D

don't know how much they pay you RAM GUY but they should

give you even more !!! you realy saved me here !!!

also a bonus for DerekT would be nice idea :D

thanks to both of you guys ;)

• 9 months later...
No with 2 modules they will run at DDR800, it is only when you have 4 modules installed you would be limited to DDR667.

Are you limited to DDR667 with 3 modules?

Is it possible to have Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4DHX in 2 modules, and a Corsair 2GB (wich one suits best?) in the 3rd module in this motherboard?

So 4GB all together...

Are you limited to DDR667 with 3 modules?

Is it possible to have Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4DHX in 2 modules, and a Corsair 2GB (wich one suits best?) in the 3rd module in this motherboard?

So 4GB all together...

You stand a better chance to run 800Mhz with 3 modules but you lose Dual Channel Mode with that motherboard if you do so.

• 1 year later...
and infact he was right :D

set it to 5-4-4-12-4 with 2.1 v and everything works fine !!!! :)

even now that the fsb is set to 1333 and ram to 834 ...

run also memtest86+ v2.01 from DOS and memtest 3.6 from XP sp2

and had no errors at all :D

don't know how much they pay you RAM GUY but they should

give you even more !!! you realy saved me here !!!

also a bonus for DerekT would be nice idea :D

thanks to both of you guys ;)

thanks again !!! MB battery was dead so had to reset everything and

these settings still work fine !!!! :D

• 3 years later...
It's not a good idea and it is advised to run four DRAM banks at the lesser speed as by doubling the slots, you have increased the workload on the motherboards memory controller. It can not keep up to the full speed of a two DRAM slot population when you populate with four DRAM slots. Often there are long term issues that arise and which damage the motherboards memory controller if you try and run it with a four DRAM slot configuration at the full speed of a two DRAM slot configuration.

You can try to get them to work, but you might well have long term effects which can result in damage as mentioned above. Better to set the DRAM to 667Mhz. Otherwise you very likely will receive DRAM from RMA that works fine, and when you populate all four DRAM slots, you will sooner or later find errors. Sooner usually is erred DRAM, later it is the on motherboard memory controller or DRAM slots that are damaged.

This is not an issue of the DRAM, it is an issue of the memory controller that is situated on the CPU (AMD) or Motherboard (Intel).

You may not have heard of this issue but research any DRAM site or any computer hardware site and you will see this issue repeated consistently.

My advice is to move to 2 X 2048. You will lose the possibility of damage to your hardware, both motherboard, DRAM or both.

Set your Timings to 5-4-4-12-4, with 2.1v and retest.

A bit late but, for anyone still tinkering with the P5W DH Deluxe, here is the definitive answer.

The P5W DH Deluxe i975x has been comprehensively tested to work with memory as fast as 1066mhz in all four memory simultaneously.

Corsair Dominator PC2-10000: Fastest DDR2

by Wesley Fink on January 31, 2007 2:00 AM EST

From the report:

Memory Test Configuration

Recent (2007) memory testing has used the ASUS P5D-DH Deluxe, which is based on the Intel 975X chipset...

Memory Performance Test Configuration

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo X6800

(x2, 2.93GHz, 4MB Unified Cache)

RAM: 2x1GB Corsair Dominator PC2-10000C5DF

2x1GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8888C4D

2x1GB OCZ PC2-9200 Flex XLC (DDR2-1150)

2x1GB Patriot DDR2-1066

2x1GB Super Talent DDR2-1000

2x1GB Team DDR2-1000

2 x1GB Corsair CM2X1024-6400C3

2x1GB OCZ Ti Alpha PC2-8000 VX2

Motherboards: ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe (Intel 975X)

EVGA NVIDIA nForce 680I SLI

Hard Drive: Hitachi 250GB SATA2 enabled (16MB Buffer)

Video Card: 1 x EVGA 7900GTX - All Standard Tests

Video Drivers: NVIDIA 91.47

CPU Cooling: Tuniq Tower 120

Power Supply: OCZ PowerStream 520W

Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP2

Further on ...

In both Buffered and Unbuffered tests Corsair Dominator 10000 performance curves compare to the best tested to the top tested speed of DDR2-1066 on the ASUS 975X based motherboard.

Personally I have 4 x DDR2 800 5-5-5-15 and CPU-Z CPUID reports all four slots are running at said speed.

So I have to strongly disagree with the comment:

"It can not keep up to the full speed of a two DRAM slot population when you populate with four DRAM slots."

However if you let the BIOS automatically detect the CL timings using SPD then slower than optimum results will occur.

Using SPD my P5W defaults to 5300 (667) and refuses to POST. This is because 2 of my DIMMS are from Geil the other 2 from G.Skilll and while they both claim to be 6400 5-5-5-15 DIMMS they do not both support 667 (333).

CPU-Z reports:

The Geil supports 267 (533) 4-4-4-12, 333 (666) 5-5-5-15, 400 (800) 5-5-5-15

The G.Skilll supports 267 (533) 4-4-4-12, 400 (800) 5-5-5-15

So letting the bios decide doesn't work for me and I have to manually set the timings to get the machine to POST and see the full 8GB.

Subsequently while XP doesn't support 8GB CUP-Z still sees all the memory correctly and I have tested with 8GB under UBUNTU 12.04 which finds 7.9GB.

Hope this helps someone!

Walter

PS.

If anyone has some 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 8500 DIMMS or faster and would like a good home for them then please contact me.

• 1 year later...
hello, i have a question, i just recently bought corsair XMS 4x2gb ddr2 800 8 gigs of rams for my computer but also have a asus p5w dh deluxe, would a core 2 quad core Q9650 3.00GHz be a more compatible side without overclocking to keep all 4 rams running at 800? i had it running at 834 with all 4 rams slots occupied but would freeze at random times so decided to set the setting back from manual to auto in the bios, so now just running 2x2 4 gigs of rams. thanks for your time

Archived