Corsair Community

Asus P4C800 for absolute STABILITY, NO overclocking, which Dual Channel Corsair Ram?

CircusMindVox

I am upgrading from a Pentium III 933 and want to build a new PC to migrate my Cubase SX Multitrack Digital / MIDI recording software/hardware platform to. My main concern is the maximum performance and complete stability I can get without overclocking at all. Required RAM: 1GB Motherboard will be (hopefully, if I can be certain I will not have the problems with corsair mem that I have seen on numerous posts): Asus P4C800 Deluxue (or E- Deluxe) CPU: Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz with 800Mhz FSB The rest of the gear will consist of an adaptec 29160 with a Fujitsu MAN series 10k drive Two Seagate Barracuda IV 40 gig drives, each on Lian-Li Mobile racks, each the only device on each controller 1 CD Rom and 1 CD-RW drive, both on the narrow leg of the SCSI adapter Whatever I find to be the quietest current AGP video card that can support two monitors without a performance penalty (any hints on this would be great) A Zalman I am upgrading from a Pentium III 933 and want to build a new PC to migrate my Cubase SX Multitrack Digital / MIDI recording software/hardware platform to. My main concern is the maximum performance and complete stability I can get without overclocking at all. Required RAM: 1GB Motherboard will be (hopefully, if I can be certain I will not have the problems with corsair mem that I have seen on numerous posts): Asus P4C800 Deluxue (or E- Deluxe) CPU: Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz with 800Mhz FSB The rest of the gear will consist of an adaptec 29160 with a Fujitsu MAN series 10k drive Two Seagate Barracuda IV 40 gig drives, each on Lian-Li Mobile racks, each the only device on each controller 1 CD Rom and 1 CD-RW drive, both on the narrow leg of the SCSI adapter Whatever I find to be the quietest current AGP video card that can support two monitors without a performance penalty a PCI card which feeds my two Mark Of the Unicorn 8 channel Digital audio I/Os (soon to be three) My main concern is that I don't want to have to go through an RMA process if I can avoid it, and my needs are for COMPLETE STABILITY. I have no plans to play games with overclocking because the last thing in the world I would want is a glitch or a lockup in the middle of a take that the band will never be able to nail the same way again. Please suggest which ram you think would fit the bill, and try to shed some light on what kind of difference in performance I might find using either C2 or LL memory, or even the value line from corsair? Thanks Chris. 7000ACLU cpu cooler (if I can get confirmation from Zalman that it will fit the motherboard without banging into the capacitors around the CPU) Zalman 400W power supply a PCI card which feeds my two Mark Of the Unicorn 8 channel Digital audio I/Os (soon to be three) My main concern is that I don't want to have to go through an RMA process if I can avoid it, and my needs are for COMPLETE STABILITY. I have no plans to play games with overclocking because the last thing in the world I would want is a glitch or a lockup in the middle of a take that the band will never be able to nail the same way again. Please suggest which ram you think would fit the bill, and try to shed some light on what kind of difference in performance I might find using either C2 or LL memory, or even the value line from corsair? Thanks Chris. :brick:

The Asus RAM spec for that board is the CMX512-3500C2. This isn't available in TwinX, so you would have to buy two sticks. On the other hand, the Corsair Ram spec for that board (with no intention of OC'ing) would be the TWINX1204-3200C2. Based on your needs and intentions, I think the TWINX1024-3200C2 ran in dual channel would be your best bet.

Thanks for the quick reply CMC Is there a page on the asus site where you got that spec? the only thing I saw was a QVL (?) document in pdf, which I found on the Asus site and, tho I still have the document saved on my hard drive, I can't remember what the link to it was for reference when I post something here for for someone else to look at.. :) If you have a link to that Asus spec, I would love to see it. Thanks Again, Chris.

[url=http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-d/P4C800_DDR400_QVL.pdf]This[/url] is the QVL table for the P4C800-Deluxe and the P4C800E-Deluxe mainboards. In their listing, they show [url=http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-419&depa=1]CMX512-3500C2[/url] to be able to run as a single module, or (Look at Column "B") to run in dual channel with two modules. I just did a bit of research for you on the CNPS7000AlCu[color=red]A[/color] CPU cooler. It will fit on your mainboard, but is very close to your chipset passive cooler. If you put a custom job on your mainboard chipset, you might not be able to install the Zalman. If you're sticking to the retail passive version, you'll have no problem. BTW, I looked at actual pictures of the Zalman attached to a P4C800, so I'm confident that it'll fit. PLUR CK P.S. It means, "Qualified Vendor List."

If I use the CMX512-3500C2 as specified in the Asus spec, will I be able to use SPD defaults? anyone know what voltage and timing settings I would have to set it to if SPD will not work? Thanks. Also, does anyone know why Asus doesn't list the TWINX1024-3200C2 or the individual part numbers of the individual sticks anyway? I am just getting caught up on the state of ram and motherboards again after having been out of the loop for a couple of years, so please bear with me. Thanks all.. Ram Guy, any comments? :) c.

I'm unsure why they don't list TwinX1024-3200LL, perhaps what they tested required custom settings, perhaps they just didn't test that module. XMS memory settings are available [url=http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8048]here[/url]. You should also set your DDR voltage to 2.7 volts. Granted, however, PC3200 memory will run in sync with your 800FSB CPU and TwinX1024-3200LL will run with tighter timings than that 3500's, but see what RAM GUY has to say about compatability before you decide (and about timings for both PC3500 modules). PLUR CK

• Corsair Employee
Welcome to the forum! And with this configuration there are a few choices Twinx1024-3200C2 DDR400 at Cass 2-3-3-6 Twinx1024-3200LL DDR400 at Cass 2-3-2-6 about 1-3% faster than C2 VS1GBKit400 DDR400 Cass 2.5-3-3-7 about 1-7% slower than C2 All of the modules sets listed above are made of 2 modules from the same lot and Twinx sets are tested at the rated speed in a MB as a pair. Value Select is not tested as a pair just 2 modules of the same part# paired together. Any of the above modules should run with out problems in this MB.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAM GUY [/i] [B]And with this configuration there are a few choices Twinx1024-3200C2 DDR400 at Cass 2-3-3-6 Twinx1024-3200LL DDR400 at Cass 2-3-2-6 about 1-3% faster than C2... the modules sets listed above are made of 2 modules from the same lot and Twinx sets are tested at the rated speed in a MB as a pair. [/B][/QUOTE] Sorry for resurrecting the dead in this old post, but this hits my question on the head, so here goes. Dual Channel as in Intel 875 and any P4 @800Mhz. Azus P4C800-E deLux IF i only install (1)dimm in (1) memory slot I am told the system will only run in single channel. BUT, if I use a double sided dimm in that one slot, will it make the system run in dual channel. WHAT is the relationship between dual channel and single or double bank (sided) modules....???? Come thru for me RG... thanks... da user1

• Corsair Employee
Well No that's not true! You need 2 modules in the correct slots ( 1-3 or 2-4) to run in dual channel. But with a double sided module this chipset supports bank interleave and that will increase performance. From [url]www.rojakpot.com:[/url] [URL=http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=8&var1=0&var2=169]Bank Interleave[/URL] Interleaving allows banks of SDRAM to alternate their refresh and access cycles. One bank will undergo its refresh cycle while another is being accessed. This improves memory performance by masking the refresh cycles of each memory bank. A close examination will reveal that since the refresh cycles of all the memory banks are staggered, this produces a kind of pipelining effect. However, bank interleaving only works if the addresses requested consecutively are not in the same bank. If they are in the same memory bank, then the data transactions behave as if the banks were not interleaved. The processor will have to wait until the first data transaction clears and that memory bank refreshes before it can send another address to that bank. Each SDRAM module is internally divided into either two or four banks of memory. Double-banked SDRAM modules generally use 16Mbit SDRAM chips and are usually 32MB or smaller in size. Quad-banked SDRAM modules, on the other hand, usually use higher density (64Mbit-256Mbit) SDRAM chips. All SDRAM modules of at least 64MB in size are quad-banked in nature

Two Things, First of all, I messed up in my original post, there is no 3.06Ghz P4 at 800Mhz FSB.. there is a 3.00Ghz Secondly, I just ordered the Twinx1024-3200LL DDR400 and a bunch of other stuff from Spartan Technologies, they had a configurator that had almost every part that I wanted for my system, including Lian-Li cases, and the zalman flower cooler. Alas, they are no longer stocking the venerable PC-60 which I specifically want in silver... But they WILL burn in the CPU, MOBO, P/S two seagate 7200.7 80gig ultra ata100's Asus GeforceFX 5200 TD board (need quietest stock fan with AGP8x) and the other components before re-boxing all the components for delivery! (including RST PRO for the ram on the motherboard... makes me feel much better) Woo Hoo! Anyone here have experience with Spartan Technologies? Their sales support staff was very helpful and attentive, and actually nice and polite, go figure.. Wish me luck.. on to find a good supplier for a PC-60 and two more Lian-Li mobile racks (my other two pc's have em already and it makes things very flexible for me.. Thanks for your help Ram Guy, and all.. C. :D:

Archived