Corsair Community

Temp sensor setup

AP1916

I am now two days from build day.

Most of the questions ive asked here are based off the plethora of already existing information, but i ask anyway for confirmation. Lol.

So, i've figured out how to control rgb lighting and fan speeds with the copro and led hub. I'm good there.

Last thing i'm looking to figure out is temp sensor placement. I was going to forego it, but why?

That said, i am considering three sensors, and im wondering if this would work.

One next to the front intake on the obsidian 500d, one near the rear exhaust. I figure this will give me a good indication as to just how much the components are raising temps?

Then another above the gpu by the top mounted h115i (set up as exhaust) so i can see the temp of the air going into the radiator.

Will that work? How effective is the rear exhaust at making sure im not just blasting hot air into the rad and heating up my coolant?

Im thinking that i can set the rear fan curve to increase rpm if the top sensor gets too warm so that more heat is expelled before getting pulled into the rad?

Or should i put a sensor above the radiator to measure the exhaust heat so i know coolant temp?

I dont even know if this post makes sense.

The H115i will already provide coolant temp so putting it in the exhaust isn't really necessary unless you want to double-check. Putting it on the radiator intake, however, is, IMHO, certainly worthwhile as the intake temp has a major impact on cooling performance.

The rest of your fans seem fine. You might want to consider one just above the GPU as well so you get a direct measurement of the how much the GPU is heating up the case.

The H115i will already provide coolant temp so putting it in the exhaust isn't really necessary unless you want to double-check. Putting it on the radiator intake, however, is, IMHO, certainly worthwhile as the intake temp has a major impact on cooling performance.

The rest of your fans seem fine. You might want to consider one just above the GPU as well so you get a direct measurement of the how much the GPU is heating up the case.

Would it make more sense to front mount the h115i so the air blowing into the rad isnt heated up inside the case first, then just have two top mounted exhaust fans, or is that temp difference negligible?

If i keep the top mounted setup (which is likely), would just rear mounting an aio gpu cooler with a 120mm radiator as exhaust inhibit the airflow and decrease the over all ability for the case to expell hot air? If not that's probably best since i wouldnt even need to worry about how much the gpu warms the case, right?

It's not so much the temperature of the "cooler" external air that offers a benefit, but rather a potential warmer top layer of the case offering a penalty. Even in a well ventilated case, the top few inches is going be 2-3C warmer than the bottom of the case. Additionally, front mounting usually moves the radiator out of the GPU heat zone. However, the trade off is often a lack of intake volume, at least without blasting the comparatively loud radiator fans. If you have additional bottom mount fans for intake, this is less of a concern. Should you do it? That's up to you, but I would not trade 2C of CPU temp if it came at a compromise to my overall design or aesthetic aspirations for the case. We are talking about small differences for most configurations, although massive multi-GPU heat usually requires more thought. It doesn't look like that is a concern here.

Top 280 + Rear 120mm GPU AIO as exhaust. I ran this way for quite a long time and it is very efficient. Since you are dumping all your waste heat directly out of the case, intake flow and managing the case heat becomes a non-factor. On a bad day my case internal temp would go up +2C after hours of gaming. Normally it was +1C. There are certainly requirements and compromises that come with strapping an AIO to your GPU. I would suggest getting things up and running on air before going down that path.

You will also be able to see this in terms of coolant temperature change. If your 100% CPU stress test is +5-6C liquid temp but gaming is +10C, then you know the GPU is having an effect on CPU temps. Whether that is worth the cost and hassle of the GPU AIO for 4C alone is another matter. Generally, I would look for an additional benefit (hate the GPU fans, splash heat on the m.2 drive, etc).

Archived