Corsair Community

SSD endurance/life paranoia.

MRAScott

I've got a pair of 90GB Force 3's running as a RAID-0 system drive, in a machine I built in Oct 2012, and run day-in, day-out ever since.

I had succumbed to the aforementioned paranoia about SSD life, and moved various things to my data HDD (browser caches, search index, page file etc') from the outset.

A recent check on total writes (in Crystaldiskinfo) over these past 2+ years, and then a quick calculation (based on a conservative cell life of 3000 erase/write cycles) reveals that they have ............

........about 220 years of life left! LoL!

Everything except the page file is about to go back on the SSD's.

I would not rely on software to estimate the life of an SSD.

Use the SSD normally and remember to regularly make backups of your data on the SSD.

For sure - I image the system to an HDD every month or two, and keep the most recent 3.

....each of the 90GB drives currently has 2,500GB of writes over 26 months, or c. 1,150GB per year.

Given that TRIM is working properly, hence wear-levelling optimised, then the total life for them should be 90GB x 3000 writes - 270,000 GB.

Hence remaining life is (theoretically) 270,000 / 1,150 = 234 years.

The point I was making is that I was unduly worried, as many people were/are, about actually wearing out the NAND cells, and in moving a lot of temporary file writing to the HDD clunker (even if it is also a RAID 0) losing many of the performance benefits of the SSD's.

I occasionally do some video and audio editing/transcoding, and some gaming, and I've tended to put tmp/scratch disc locations for various applications on the HDD - these are also (largely) going back on the SSD's.

Maybe, just maybe, if I was doing this on a daily basis, writing 10's upon 10's of GB of temp files, I might think again, but even then I suspect the projected life of the NAND chips would still be 10+ years.

Archived