Corsair Community

Case design suggestion.

noMercy

Why not design a mid tower (like the 460X/570X) that is designed to fit a mATX motherboard. By downsizing the mobo, it opens up massive opportunities for water cooling.

Lower the rear IO panel placement for mATX mobo which greatly increases top radiator clearance. (approx 60mm extra)

You lose very little when going from ATX to mATX but gain so much in terms of extra room inside the case.

Still get 4 RAM slots.

ATX mobos up to 7pcie slots, mATX gets up to 4. Who the hell uses more than 4 PCIe slots?

mATX motherboards are cheaper than ATX.

Just a thought to create an amazing case for cooling without having to make it bigger.

Edit: The more I think about this idea, the more driven I am becoming of it. I have drawn a proportionate diagram to scale of 1:4 to demonstrate how downsizing the motherboard can drastically boost the cooling potential whilst keeping the case within the mid-sized tier.

When focusing on compatibility, I took into consideration the biggest of them all.

Radiator: With 420mm inner length and 70mm top clearance, this case has room for a 45mm thick 360 Radiator and fans or even the biggest 360 AIO on the market!

GPU: Most triple fan, GTX1080ti's are about 300mm long. I showed this to display how much room it will have to breath.

PSU: Even with the Hard drive Cage still in the case, a Corsair 1200W PSU still fits comfortably. At 86mm high, 90mm is given, allowing extra room for a power supply shroud.

2OniGOy.png

Why not design a mid tower (like the 560/570X) that is designed to fit a mATX motherboard and below.

Lower the rear IO panel placement for mATX mobo which greatly increases top radiator clearance. (approx 60mm extra)

As gamers you lose very little when going from ATX to mATX.

Still get 4 RAM slots.

ATX mobos up to 7pcie slots, mATX gets up to 4. Who the hell uses more than 4 PCIe slots?

mATX motherboards are cheaper than ATX.

Just a thought to create an amazing case for cooling without having to make it bigger.

I like this idea and I agree most people won't use more 4 PCIe slots, most will use just one for their GPU. I think the problem with your idea are the motherboards and that is the reason we won't see a case for this use case any time soon. In the Z370 chipset arena, there are no high end motherboards that uses the ITX or mATX form factor. They are all E-ATX or ATX. Most people who are investing money in a custom loop are going to be purchasing a system that has a higher grade VRM with many phases to help with overclocking. Sadly the mATX is usually marketed for cheaper systems and granted the ITX can sell for more than some ATX, they are targeted to compact systems that won't have the room for the larger rads you are seeking.

http://www.overclock.net/photopost/data/1673343/4/48/48550d91_z370lineup-WIP.png

Maybe in a few years the market will change with motherboards and people will say I don't really need 7 PCI-e slots. Not to long ago some people did do 4 way and 3 way SLI, though Nvidia doesn't support that anymore. More and more people are shifting away from SLI as less games support it. As 3/4-way SLI is no longer a possibility, maybe mATX will be more of the standard in the near future and then a year or two later the case manufacture will adapt. You can always put a mATX in an ATX, though you can't go the other way. Cases is a very competitive area and the manufactures wait till trends turn into a norm before adopting them. i.e. My previous MB had USB 3.0 headers, but my case only had usb 2.0. My new MB has a usb 3.1 Type-C header, but my case only has USB 2.0 and 3.0. Higher end cases are now adopting USB 3.1 Type-C. Cases will always be a year or two behind the norm.

Based off this I don't think it would be in Corsairs best interest to make a case like this, until mATX is the new standard.

• 3 weeks later...
I like this idea and I agree most people won't use more 4 PCIe slots, most will use just one for their GPU. I think the problem with your idea are the motherboards and that is the reason we won't see a case for this use case any time soon. In the Z370 chipset arena, there are no high end motherboards that uses the ITX or mATX form factor. They are all E-ATX or ATX. Most people who are investing money in a custom loop are going to be purchasing a system that has a higher grade VRM with many phases to help with overclocking. Sadly the mATX is usually marketed for cheaper systems and granted the ITX can sell for more than some ATX, they are targeted to compact systems that won't have the room for the larger rads you are seeking.

http://www.overclock.net/photopost/data/1673343/4/48/48550d91_z370lineup-WIP.png

Maybe in a few years the market will change with motherboards and people will say I don't really need 7 PCI-e slots. Not to long ago some people did do 4 way and 3 way SLI, though Nvidia doesn't support that anymore. More and more people are shifting away from SLI as less games support it. As 3/4-way SLI is no longer a possibility, maybe mATX will be more of the standard in the near future and then a year or two later the case manufacture will adapt. You can always put a mATX in an ATX, though you can't go the other way. Cases is a very competitive area and the manufactures wait till trends turn into a norm before adopting them. i.e. My previous MB had USB 3.0 headers, but my case only had usb 2.0. My new MB has a usb 3.1 Type-C header, but my case only has USB 2.0 and 3.0. Higher end cases are now adopting USB 3.1 Type-C. Cases will always be a year or two behind the norm.

Based off this I don't think it would be in Corsairs best interest to make a case like this, until mATX is the new standard.

So all that is holding it back is fashion? I guess we need the big tech youtubers to get behind the idea too.

Maybe then mATX will become the standard and high-end mATX mobos will come to light.

So all that is holding it back is fashion? I guess we need the big tech youtubers to get behind the idea too.

Maybe then mATX will become the standard and high-end mATX mobos will come to light.

Then Corsair releases the 280X :)

Granted that is more of a Cube than a tower.

Then Corsair releases the 280X :)

Granted that is more of a Cube than a tower.

Still doesnt fit the specs of what I'm looking for. Would be nice to be able to talk with someone from the design team to give advice.

Still doesnt fit the specs of what I'm looking for. Would be nice to be able to talk with someone from the design team to give advice.

Corsair does keep an eye on their forum. I am sure if people see any good suggestions, they might pass it on.

• 3 weeks later...
Corsair does keep an eye on their forum. I am sure if people see any good suggestions, they might pass it on.

This idea is still on my mind to the point where I have drawn a proportionate scale of it's potential and added it to my original post. What do you think?

• 6 months later...

This may be beyond your skills or even interest to do, but it wouldn't be too unreasonable to cut the motherboard tray out of a donor case and mod it into a midsize case of your liking. Might have some issues with the IO shield, and of course you'd need to have decent hole alignment for installing motherboard standoffs but could be done.

Would serve in a pinch until the market sees this as a trend worth investing the R&D in at any rate.

Archived