Corsair Community

TX650 Failed - Catastrophic results

Kinsy

December 09 I purchased a Corsair TX650W and ran it in my old PC for about 2 years. Last October I upgraded to the spec listed.

Yesterday I powered up my PC as normal, loaded Windows and went to play Battlefield 3. As the game loaded, the PC shut off. After a couple of attempts to get it going, I removed the motherboard entirely and tried running 'bare minimum'.

The power light on the motherboard strobed when connected - any other PSU and it won't strobe, but still would not power up. After trying 2 other PSUs i tried the TX650W again...cue fireworks! 2 resistors burnt out on the motherboard.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/251904_10151887511565440_1066257045_n.jpg

I've raised an RMA with Corsair, but I wouldn't mind talking to someone first because I'm now out of pocket £350 of components due to my PSU failing and I don't want to pay the bill!

I've raised an RMA with Corsair, but I wouldn't mind talking to someone first because I'm now out of pocket £350 of components due to my PSU failing and I don't want to pay the bill!

I'm sorry Kinsy you had that kind of failure. Unfortunately ,it does happen from time to time. (no matter the vendor).

But your Best bet would be to call CS by phone and work this out with them. CS does not monitor the forums and it would be best for you to talk to a live person.

Ahh, your across the pond. The only CS number is for here in the states. You can install SKYPE and use that to call the toll free number for nothing. Listed under Contact on main site

Corsair Memory

46221 Landing Parkway

Fremont, CA 94538

Thanks. Didn't realise I could skype the toll free number - I'll do that.

Swopped out components with a similar system today - my cpu is definitely toast, but so far my 570 seems to be ok, as does the RAM. Not tried gaming with it yet though. Whether or not I can RMA it with Intel or not, I'm going to give it a try.

The board I've already tried to take back to OcUK who have flat out refused to send it to Asus as they reckon it's 'user damage' (rubbish!), so I've bought a P8Z77 board to replace it.

• 3 weeks later...

Knisey, please followup with this post and let us know the results of your RMA experience. I would be interested to know this as well if they reimbursed for damaged components as it would influence future purchase decisions.

It is indeed very possible for a bad PS to fry components and its really not known which companies will determine if PS is faulty and indeed reimburse for any damaged parts. It would be nice to know Corsair policy on this.

Archived