3 x GTX 980s standard reference blower

Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz LGA1155 overclocked to 4.3Ghz

Asus ROG Maximus V EXTREME LGA 1155 Motherboard

6 HDDs

1 BluRay player

SilverStone Strider ST1500 1500W Power Supply

Please help me mod this case.

Happy to take this beast on and get some airflow through it.

Have multiple fans ready to go, a 120mm round hole cutter and time.

20150226_094849.thumb.jpg.c0d8fbcda4366bf6aa178fcb6b5690db.jpg

20150226_094855.jpg.1612d7c11447052d171948ead3787f51.jpg

Hi Mate.

I have a Corsair 800D (but don't use it any more) and I cut a rectangle opening right under the graphic cards to mount in 2 x 140mm for Koolance fan shroud there. You do not need the Koolance product if you don't like it, use what ever you find good for your purposes. But measure up the rectangle hole carefully first and leave space for your choice of shroud.

See the solution and material via the link of one of the Corsair forums genius Archangel35757 as I think you can have use of in a similar way but under your graphic cards. http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=110704

Good luck mate!

Regards, Bengt Wolf Johansson.

Your post says 3 x GTX 980s standard reference blower, those 3 x GPUs look like GTX 970s.

Regardless this information should help you with a decision for air.

Positive air pressure is when the intake CFM is higher than the exhaust CFM (most people will use positive air pressure to control dust reduction inside the computer) Positive air pressure is created by drawing air flow from the front intake, top and bottom vents while exhausting through the rear vents.

Example:

Total CFM in = 200 CFM

Total CFM out = 170 CFM

Negative air pressure is when the intake CFM is lower than the exhaust CFM. Negative air pressure is created by drawing air flow from the front intake and bottom vents while exhausting through the rear and top vents.

Example

Total CFM in = 170 CFM

Total CFM out = 200 CFM

Your system may benefit more with a Positive air pressure because of the Air CPU Cooler, top vent will bring cold air down to CPU Cooler and may help with decreasing temperature.

Dear Super Kermit!

After some thoughts I come to the conclusion that you will benefit a lot by purchase the Corsair Obsidian 900D Super Tower Case. I have that computer case and since I have been a fire fighter for some 15 years I see the case as a house in the way to get the warm air out of the case.

I take in cold air in the front and and bottom of the case, to let it out via the 140mm fan in the back of the case, as well as via the radiator fans in the top. But I also made a special arrangement by adding 2 more 120mm fans back in line of the 2 x 120mm intake fans in top front. In that way the graphic cards cool down even more by the forwarding cool intake air.

The reason I recommend the Corsair Obsidian 900D is that it open up so much more opportunity's in what ever you like to do. If you think it's too much money for a computer case, I recommend the Corsair Obsidian 750D Full Tower case (the little brother to 900D) as I also have for my older computer components. Both those cases is open case in the way to achieve the optimal of your planning and needs.

As StealthGaming said. it's very important to maintain a overpressure inside the case so not the dust sucks in via all the small holes and gaps in the case as it does with under pressure.

I wish you good luck in what ever choice you make.

Regards, Bengt Wolf Johansson.

Archived