Corsair Community

Problem with Commander Pro

Pocah

I have just bought a Commander Pro, with the specific intent of controlling some case fans. The problem is that while it is controlling some of the fans it isn't controlling all of them. All the fans are identical AF140L's, but it is only controlling the first two. The rest are just on all the time at maximum RPM. It smacks tremendously that only the fist two fan sockets can be voltage controlled, the others are PWM only. Please tell me this isn't true!?! This thing was very expensive and I am going to be seriously annoyed if it can't do what it said it can do.

Hmm OK it seems it should be able to run them in voltage mode but it's randomly deciding not to. At first it was allowing the first two to be voltage controlled, now it is only allowing one to be voltage controlled. This is extremely disappointing Corsair. My motherboard can do better than this. How do I get this Commander PRO to realise that the fans are not PWM??

I have just bought a Commander Pro, with the specific intent of controlling some case fans. The problem is that while it is controlling some of the fans it isn't controlling all of them. All the fans are identical AF140L's, but it is only controlling the first two. The rest are just on all the time at maximum RPM. It smacks tremendously that only the fist two fan sockets can be voltage controlled, the others are PWM only. Please tell me this isn't true!?! This thing was very expensive and I am going to be seriously annoyed if it can't do what it said it can do.

Hmm OK it seems it should be able to run them in voltage mode but it's randomly deciding not to. At first it was allowing the first two to be voltage controlled, now it is only allowing one to be voltage controlled. This is extremely disappointing Corsair. My motherboard can do better than this. How do I get this Commander PRO to realise that the fans are not PWM??

There have been reports of the CLCP not supporting Noctua fans and some other non-Corsair brands.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=908243

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=907225

Also some Corsair fans that work with a Commander Mini (CLCM) but not the CLCP.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=907273

Some Noctua fans work on the CLCM but not the CLCP, some SP120 fans sold with cases don't work with a CLCM or CLNP, but do work with the CLCP. Some fans are making strange noises when controlled by a CLCP that they did not make when controlled by CAM, and some fans get reported as 3-pin DC when they are 4-pin PWM (or vice versa), but not every time.

Corsair Dustin did respond on this forum on 07-June 2017 regarding the Noctua fans not being detected.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=907137

We have to order the fans, test them, figure out what the issue is, create a fix, incorporate that fix into the next release of Link, and regression test that version before releasing it. It's not a quick process; if the situation can be fixed, honestly I'd expect at least a month.

You may well have encountered a new incarnation of this fan type detection problem. When you plug in your fans, are you "hot plugging" them into the CLCP fan ports while the unit is powered? If so, you may want to try cycling power to the CLCP after plugging everything in, as detecting hot plugged fans is hit or miss, and not considered a high priority problem by Corsair. Not detecting fan type (or RPM or presence) of some 3rd party fans is something they are looking into, but they are less likely to do something about these issues if there are not a lot of complaints about it. Therefore I recommend you open a support ticket and make sure Corsair is aware of your issue with the AF140L.s Corsair seems to not monitor this forum (or at least respond to requests for help) on any kind of consistent basis, so a support ticket is best.

No, CLCP fan hotplug not hit and miss, it does not work at all :(:.

Given I specified this in http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=907512 why are you implying it sometimes works when it does not :brick:.

Sorry Ray,

I stand corrected. I have not had severe issues with hot plugging as I am in an all Corsair HD-RGB Series fan environment. I can hot plug and unplug those fans but ONLY from a port that has previously been used. If I plug a fan into a previously unused port, it is not detected until I power cycle the CLCP.

I am aware from other posts on this forum that there are many issues with non-Corsair fans and even with some models of Corsair fans which behave differently when they are connected to a CLCM verses a CLCP. I am NOT aware of any fix for this released by Corsair.

I can hot plug and unplug those fans but ONLY from a port that has previously been used.

It's all quite intricate as to what should and should not happen. When a fan in hot unplugged the firmware should report this, it does on the CLCC, but not on the CLCP.

Using SIV 5.21 Beat-09 or later compare what [Link Status] reports when you hot unplug/plug a temperature sensor and a fan. When hot unplugged the temperature will be reported as NC, but the fan won't. Hot unplug a H110iGT fan and NC will be reported for the fan.

The next issue is 4-pin PWM vs. 3-pin voltage detection, CL 4.7.0.77 does not even report what the fan is detected as when it should.

For me it's a PITA, but for members who expect fan hotplug to work as it does for the CLCC/H110iGT/etc. this must be rather confusing to say the least.

Ah!

I had also noticed that the AF140L's were making some odd noises, I hadn't realised that was the Commander Pro. Also, I had noticed that Commander Pro didn't recognise when a fan had been removed. I wonder if this has something to do with it, because it doesn't seem to realise when a fan has changed. The more I move them around the worse it seems to get.

I am not hot-plugging at all.

I have not seen any sensible reason or pattern to the fan recognition, or failure to recognise. However, I wonder if once it has decided what fan it is, it tends to stick with that opinion. Maybe there is some way to "reset" it.

I have raised a ticket with Corsair, including some screenshots.

I have a total of five AF140L fans here, but they are from different cases and two are older than the others, even though they are supposedly exactly the same fans. I noticed that it recognised the older ones but not the newer ones. How strange is that?

I also have some PWM fans and connected those up, and they seem to work just fine. For the moment I may purchase some ML140's just to keep the system happy.

This is turning out to be a very expensive mistake.

OK I replaced the AF140L fans with ML140 PRO's and everything is sorted. It's all working fine. I must confess this was insanely expensive but I am generally happy with the system. It gives me one location where I can control, tweak and monitor everything, and that's great.

The more I move them around the worse it seems to get.

I am not hot-plugging at all.

These 2 statements seem contradictory. Were you power cycling the CLCP each time you moved anything plugged into it? If not, you were "hot plugging". Did you plug or unplug anything from the CLCP while power was applied to it? If so, you were "hot plugging".

That said, it appears you have run into the CLCP hot plugging issue, and anomalies with AF140 fans. Can't say I am surprised.

OK I replaced the AF140L fans with ML140 PRO's and everything is sorted. It's all working fine. I must confess this was insanely expensive but I am generally happy with the system. It gives me one location where I can control, tweak and monitor everything, and that's great.

I ponied up for 5 x HD140-RGB and 1 HD120-RGB and everything is running smoothly, though the fan hot plugging issue is not resolved. It seems the best way to ensure success is to use all separately sold, recent manufactured, Corsair HD, SP, or ML series fans with the CLCP, and don't hot plug and expect consistent results. And of course use SIV to control the fans and LEDs.

These 2 statements seem contradictory. Were you power cycling the CLCP each time you moved anything plugged into it? If not, you were "hot plugging". Did you plug or unplug anything from the CLCP while power was applied to it? If so, you were "hot plugging".

That said, it appears you have run into the CLCP hot plugging issue, and anomalies with AF140 fans. Can't say I am surprised.

I ponied up for 5 x HD140-RGB and 1 HD120-RGB and everything is running smoothly, though the fan hot plugging issue is not resolved. It seems the best way to ensure success is to use all separately sold, recent manufactured, Corsair HD, SP, or ML series fans with the CLCP, and don't hot plug and expect consistent results. And of course use SIV to control the fans and LEDs.

I was not hot-plugging. I powered the entire PC down during the fan swap.

Archived