Corsair Community

Corsair H100i v2 help

Ejoyner13

So I was reading the post about proper way to power my h100i v2 and it says go into bios and set my cpu fan to voltage mode? I am not sure how to do this? I can get to qfan control but I see nothing about voltage. I also read I need to have cpu fan set to full speed. When I click full speed the fans get super loud. Is this normal? Is there anyway to quiet them down in the link software? I was also wondering if I need the cpu fan set to PWM or DC I believe the cable going into cpu fan is 3pin.

Thanks

Two separate steps and controls.

1) The BIOS Q-Fan should be set to "full speed" as you have it. This is Asus-speak for "disabled fan control" and will provide 12v to the pump at all times as required. Full Speed should also prevent AI Suite or other software tools from altering this voltage. This does not regulate the fans, but if you reduce the voltage below 12v, both pump and fans are affected. You can also click the PWM box as a safeguard.

2) Control the fans through Link. If they are extraordinarily loud, left click on the fan on the Main screen. Make sure the fan speed is set to the H100i v2 Temp group. This is coolant temperature. All of the preset curves were designed for this value. Using package temp will give you near max speed all the time and cause the fans to race up and down. If you have verified this and the fans are still loud, post your H100i v2 temp and the fan speed (or a screenshot). It's Summertime and the default curve is more or less based on a 20-23C room temp. It is not difficult to get your case temps way above that in the hot months. You likely would then want to relax the fan curve a little. It will not affect your temps.

Unplug the fans from the y-splitter and make sure they went on correctly. You can also try switching the two fans (the plugs, not the actual fan positions). Only one of the two Y-split cables has a speed sensor. Perhaps one of the fans has a wonky connector and switching the connectors will solve the issue.

Are these the fans that came with the cooler or something else?

This is what I am seeing now. The fan in the cooler window is staying at 2700rpm and no matter I change it to it stays that speed. Also in the very top motherboard tab it is showing I have 3 fans when I only have 2 chassis fans and the 2 fans on the radiator. Any ideas?

You can switch the CPU_FAN to PWM next time you go in the BIOS, but it should have no bearing on the current problem. The pump "lead" does not have a control wire. Just power and ground.

I won't claim any expertise over how Link names all of its monitored values. Fans 1 & 3 are likely case fans. Fan 2 is probably the pump. Pumps don't count revolutions the same way a fan does. As a result, on some coolers the motherboard/BIOS reads half the pump speed (1400/2800rpm).

Both the pump and fans speeds are maxed out (2700 fan speed). They should not be at that temperature, regardless of the setting (Quiet, Balanced, Performance). So, either the fan controller inside the H100i v2 has a problem or something else is interfering.

Are you running AI Suite right now? If so, right click the icon in the task bar and set it not to run on start-up. Then quit the app. Do the fans settle down? If no, restart the PC and see if they calm down with AI suite not loaded. Previously, when you booted up, were the H100iv2 fans 'normal' during the boot process and then very loud once Windows loaded? Or were they consistently loud the entire time?

Everything got loud when I changed my cpu fan header in bios to full speed. It is a three pin connector so I didn't think I could use pwm anyway. So there is a y splitter that comes off the cooler that both my radiator fans plug into. Then that gets plugged into CPU Fan. I am not using AI Suite and it isn't installed.

I am hoping I read the above wrong. The two grey SP120L fans go into the splitter. That splitter then connects to a little connector on the side of the pump. There is a lead that comes off the pump block and connects to CPU_FAN. The fans should not be connected to the motherboard in this set-up.

I am not sure we have made any progress here, but it is late on my end. If you need to resolve this for the night, take the two fans off the splitter and plug them into CPU and OPT on the motherboard. Move the pump lead from CPU fan to AIO (or W_PUMP) or any other CHA_FAN header. If it is a regular CHA header, set that header to "Full Speed" in the BIOS. Go to CPU FAN and set it to "Silent" and PWM. This will now control the two radiator fans. If you system has fan delays (you may need to F7 - advanced BIOS - monitoring tab - scroll down 3/4 of the way), set them as long as possible (likely 5 and 8 seconds for CPU fan). This will help prevent the fans from jumping about.

Unfortunately, to troubleshoot this, you will need to put it back the way it was. However, you can use it in this fashion for an extended period of time with the only consequence being more difficult fan control. Not applicable at this moment for sure.

Archived